Thread: flintlock kit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    ...... as he passed the 30th floor the man who threw himself from the top of the Empire state building was heard to say "so far so good".

The wise also learn from other peoples experiences.

I know a man now nicknamed "Stumpy" after he lost the top joint of his trigger finger when his priming flask blew up while shooting a MLAIC matchlock competition in Germany. This incident has changed MLAIC (and hence MLAGB) rules. Apart from his injury he is fine but does not remember what happened. The line judge who was stood behind him stated that as he was priming his matchlock in the kneeling position a burning ember from an adjacent shooter floated down into the area of the pan followed by an explosion It was concluded that the priming flask must have been set off by the ember, either directly or by the pan igniting. The flask was a typical small priming flask and was not found, neither was the top joint of his finger despite intensive searching as the paramedics were up for re-attaching it if they could.

I think it is way OT for what was a freak accident which must have failed to happen millions of times, but that's yer elf n safety innit?
    Snide comment aside, I can only speak from personal experience, and from the experiences of other with whom I have been shooting for over fifty years.

I HAVE seen a 'ramrod launch', but I've never seen a flashpan ka-boom.

When I'm shooting with my fellows in the USA, I practice what THEY do.

The kind of trail-shooting I do over there is all from standing or kneeling, no benches to put stuff on so that it might get spark-sprayed and blow up. Powder is decanted into a powder measure, and the horn containing the powder is pushed around your back - out of the way of any sparks. Priming is done with a tiny priming flask.

With N-SSA-style shooting, it is practiced as it was during the WoNA, exactly - using paper cartridges. Again, it's standing or kneeling only, as carried out by the troops of the day.

When I'm shooting a BP pistol or revolver on a real range, it's the same as here - powder in phials is recommended, but not overly enforced unless you are taking part in a NMLA/MLAIC-style shoot, in which case it's phials all the way. The club I shoot at, Tri-Counties Gun club in Tualatin, has a number of ranges, including one of fifty places for pistol up to 50 yards, and a couple of smaller 20-position for 25 yards There is a separate qualifying range for the CCW courses run there.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 18-06-2020 at 08:52 AM.