Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flintlock kit

flintlock kit

whats in your kit,
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    whats in your kit,
    Kit? Are you asking a question? As in set of components to build a flintlock rifle or pistol?

range kit /possible bag, tools etc that sort of kit
    ballkeeper

I have a small box of bits I use with my flintlock.
    I have a half size hat pin to clear the flash hole. A small bristle brush to clean the flash pan if it starts to get caked with residue, a small brass hammer to give the flint a tap if it misfires. (Changing the angle slightly can save you changing the flint). I also have a small tin with pre-cut leather pieces for when I change the flint, and spare flints, and a slim screwdriver to undo the hammer screw that holds the flint.
    I also take a pistol rod with me with a brush on to clean out the bore if need to, and a brass ramrod as I do not use the one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I have a small box of bits I use with my flintlock.
    I have a half size hat pin to clear the flash hole. A small bristle brush to clean the flash pan if it starts to get caked with residue, a small brass hammer to give the flint a tap if it misfires. (Changing the angle slightly can save you changing the flint). I also have a small tin with pre-cut leather pieces for when I change the flint, and spare flints, and a slim screwdriver to undo the hammer screw that holds the flint.
    I also take a pistol rod with me with a brush on to clean out the bore if need to, and a brass ramrod as I do not use the one with the gun.
    cheers enfield2band
    hat pin a good idea ,do you use a pan primer? some may say not to use at the firing point, others not bothered ?
    what sort of thickness leather do you use.
    ballkeeper

cheers enfield2band
    hat pin a good idea ,do you use a pan primer? some may say not to use at the firing point, others not bothered ?
    The leather I use is about 2mm thick. it is the back panel off an old leather chair. It is enough to grip the flint and the jaws on the cock. Some people prefer thin lead sheet. I have tried it and prefer leather.

I prime my flashpan from a flask after I have loaded it.

I think the best place to prime the pan is on the firing point. Once it is loaded and the flashpan has been primed it is in effect a loaded gun and should be treated accordingly.

That is just my opinion and others may differ.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    cheers enfield2band
    Bit confused. If you cannot prime the pan at the firing point then where can you?

Following an accident where a shooter lost a finger while priming (a matchlock as it happens) I think the MLAGB allow priming only from either a single dose phial or from one of those tiny priming flasks. I would not be happy priming from a larger flask, and anyway it will work better if using a finer powder than the main charge for priming
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

sorry guys ,didnt write it clearly, meant, flask to prim the pan ,as are no flask aloud at the firing point.

powder wise plan using 3fg and 4fg for the pan,

have a hat pin,and a little brush ,so nearly ready
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 17-06-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    ballkeeper

sorry guys ,didnt write it clearly, meant, flask to prim the pan ,as are no flask aloud at the firing point.

powder wise plan using 3fg and 4fg for the pan,
    What kind of firearm are you shooting? Rifle or pistol? I shoot a couple of .58cal BP ML rifle and a .60cal pistol - in the US of A, and we use the same powder down the barrel and in the pan - never noticed the difference even using 2Fg.

I see your predicament about where to load the pan - not being able to do it on the firing line, where the piece is naturally pointing down range anyhow, seems to be a mite odd to me. That's exactly how we do it in the US of A in the couple of rondies and trail shoots I've been to over the years.

Never seen any kind of accident of any kind.

I think the OP means that he is not allowed to have a flask on the firing point [because of the explosion hazard]. So use pre-filled phials (what are the other folk doing on that range?)
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

<snip>

Never seen any kind of accident of any kind.
    ...... as he passed the 30th floor the man who threw himself from the top of the Empire state building was heard to say "so far so good".

The wise also learn from other peoples experiences.

I know a man now nicknamed "Stumpy" after he lost the top joint of his trigger finger when his priming flask blew up while shooting a MLAIC matchlock competition in Germany. This incident has changed MLAIC (and hence MLAGB) rules. Apart from his injury he is fine but does not remember what happened. The line judge who was stood behind him stated that as he was priming his matchlock in the kneeling position a burning ember from an adjacent shooter floated down into the area of the pan followed by an explosion It was concluded that the priming flask must have been set off by the ember, either directly or by the pan igniting. The flask was a typical small priming flask and was not found, neither was the top joint of his finger despite intensive searching as the paramedics were up for re-attaching it if they could.

I think it is way OT for what was a freak accident which must have failed to happen millions of times, but that's yer elf n safety innit?
    TANSTAAFL

Towels. Lots of towels.

A rag and a bottle of water. Every now and again, despite a brushing, you might need to wipe the frizzen or pan out and an old (sometimes fractionally damp with water or spit if needed) tea towel is ideal. Plus for all front-stuffing, as you probably know, a bar towel or something similar to wipe your hands on.

When you prime the flashpan only cover the flash hole. Use as little powder as possible, its speed up the ignition of the main charge.
    If you fill the flashpan to the top the powder has to burn down before reaching the flash hole. it slows down the ignition and wastes powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    ...... as he passed the 30th floor the man who threw himself from the top of the Empire state building was heard to say "so far so good".

The wise also learn from other peoples experiences.

I know a man now nicknamed "Stumpy" after he lost the top joint of his trigger finger when his priming flask blew up while shooting a MLAIC matchlock competition in Germany. This incident has changed MLAIC (and hence MLAGB) rules. Apart from his injury he is fine but does not remember what happened. The line judge who was stood behind him stated that as he was priming his matchlock in the kneeling position a burning ember from an adjacent shooter floated down into the area of the pan followed by an explosion It was concluded that the priming flask must have been set off by the ember, either directly or by the pan igniting. The flask was a typical small priming flask and was not found, neither was the top joint of his finger despite intensive searching as the paramedics were up for re-attaching it if they could.

I think it is way OT for what was a freak accident which must have failed to happen millions of times, but that's yer elf n safety innit?
    Snide comment aside, I can only speak from personal experience, and from the experiences of other with whom I have been shooting for over fifty years.

I HAVE seen a 'ramrod launch', but I've never seen a flashpan ka-boom.

When I'm shooting with my fellows in the USA, I practice what THEY do.

The kind of trail-shooting I do over there is all from standing or kneeling, no benches to put stuff on so that it might get spark-sprayed and blow up. Powder is decanted into a powder measure, and the horn containing the powder is pushed around your back - out of the way of any sparks. Priming is done with a tiny priming flask.

With N-SSA-style shooting, it is practiced as it was during the WoNA, exactly - using paper cartridges. Again, it's standing or kneeling only, as carried out by the troops of the day.

When I'm shooting a BP pistol or revolver on a real range, it's the same as here - powder in phials is recommended, but not overly enforced unless you are taking part in a NMLA/MLAIC-style shoot, in which case it's phials all the way. The club I shoot at, Tri-Counties Gun club in Tualatin, has a number of ranges, including one of fifty places for pistol up to 50 yards, and a couple of smaller 20-position for 25 yards There is a separate qualifying range for the CCW courses run there.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 18-06-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Snide comment aside, I can only speak from personal experience, and from the experiences of other with whom I have been shooting for over fifty years.

I HAVE seen a 'ramrod launch', but I've never seen a flashpan ka-boom.

When I'm shooting with my fellows in the USA, I practice what THEY do.

The kind of trail-shooting I do over there is all from standing or kneeling, no benches to put stuff on so that it might get spark-sprayed and blow up. Powder is decanted into a powder measure, and the horn containing the powder is pushed around your back - out of the way of any sparks. Priming is done with a tiny priming flask.

With N-SSA-style shooting, it is practiced as it was during the WoNA, exactly - using paper cartridges. Again, it's standing or kneeling only, as carried out by the troops of the day.

When I'm shooting a BP pistol or revolver on a real range, it's the same as here - powder in phials is recommended, but not overly enforced unless you are taking part in a MLAIC-style shoot, in which case it's phials all the way. The club I shoot at, Tri-Counties Gun club in Tualatin, has a number of ranges, including one of fifty places for pistol up to 50 yards, and a couple of smaller 20-position for 25 yards There is a separate qualifying range for the CCW courses run there.
    Hi tac,
    I'm an MLAGB RO. The one thing I have to constantly watch for when overseeing a shoot is that people move flasks, containers with phials in them, and tins of caps to one side, and, cover them with a cloth to avoid premature ignition by a stray spark.

90% of the shooting at my club is done from a table so one has to be vigilant. Some members load off the firing point as they feel this is safer and only cap the gun or prime the pan when they are ready to shoot.