Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: flintlock kit

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    I know some one who drilled 4 holes in the loading cap of his cylinder flask then coverd the holes with gaffer tape, his idea was if a spark somehow got into the flask the pressure build up as the powder goes up in smoke will exit via the weakest point, this been the gaffer tape covering the holes. Good idea but I think the pressure build up will be so fast that the cylinder flask will blow up anyway but the holes will limit the size of the inevitable bang.

When loading my muzzle loaders I use paper cases made from perming papers, one of the best ideas for muzzle loaders ever (admittedly I don't have any flint locks)
    That would not make any difference. When blackpowder explodes it is virtually instantaneous. It is not a gradual build up of pressure.
    If I remember correctly the detonation velocity of blackpowder is 900 - 950fps.

pedersoli primer pan dispenser is that usable on MLAIC comps
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    A lovely pistol. Please tell us all about how you go about shooting with it.

I'm assuming that you've seen capandball's channel on Youtube? He is Dr Bálasz Németh, Hungarian BP shooting champion many times over and secretary/organiser of the MLAIC. He and his partner run a gun store in Budapest called kapszli.hu. He is the main Pedersoli importer/dealer in Eastern Europe - even I have had stuff from him over the years that the UK dealer could not get hold of.
    yes will do,

think i ve seen most of his videos on there,great channel,
    so no probs getting them parts sent here from him ,thats good to know thank s
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    That would not make any difference. When blackpowder explodes it is virtually instantaneous. It is not a gradual build up of pressure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlseclciao

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344

Black Powder does not detonate under any normally achievable conditions. By definition, "detonation" is a reaction which proceeds through the explosive at a speed greater than the speed of sound in the explosive. This speed in solids is far higher than the speed of sound in air. A deflagration (= combustion) velocity of 950 fps is considerably less than the speed of sound in BP and nowhere even approaching instantaneous.

The deflagration rate of BP is less sensitive to pressure than is nitro powder, so pressure curves are flatter and this is why it is so much more forgiving.

That said, I would not feel much comfort in putting holes in a container in an attempt to lessen the explosion and it seems that in opting for a prohibition the MLAIC feel the same.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    pedersoli primer pan dispenser is that usable on MLAIC comps
    I believe not. Phials only.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Black Powder does not detonate under any normally achievable conditions. By definition, "detonation" is a reaction which proceeds through the explosive at a speed greater than the speed of sound in the explosive. This speed in solids is far higher than the speed of sound in air. A deflagration (= combustion) velocity of 950 fps is considerably less than the speed of sound in BP and nowhere even approaching instantaneous.

The deflagration rate of BP is less sensitive to pressure than is nitro powder, so pressure curves are flatter and this is why it is so much more forgiving.

That said, I would not feel much comfort in putting holes in a container in an attempt to lessen the explosion and it seems that in opting for a prohibition the MLAIC feel the same.
    We have been down this road before.

I believe the general term "detonation velocity" is a measure of how fast an explosive releases its gases. Gunpowder was preferred in the mines as it was considered a "soft explosive" because its slow release of pressure, compared to other explosives, rendered the rock rather than shattering it.
    Semtex has a detonation velocity of 5 mile per second.

Here are the words from the MLAIC document in pdf form -

Page 19 - English edition -

3.5b - Priming Powder

i). During a competition priming powder shall be kept in (a) container not exceeding 16.2 gram (250 gr).

ii). Priming powder shall be covered and protected from accidental ignition by heat or sparks.

No mention there of WHERE this happens, and not being au fait with the rules of the MLAGB in this regard I would be prepared to learn on the day.

However, THIS is from the MLAGB rules pdf -

Capping and priming
    Guns must only be capped or primed immediately prior to firing, with the shooter in
    his or her firing position and with the muzzle(s) pointing safely in the direction in
    which the shot is to be taken. Additional caps, cappers, priming flasks, powder flasks,
    and any other material at risk of ignition from the blast of firing must be put away or
    safely covered before the gun is fired.

It would seem that a priming flask - one of the tiny devices made for the purpose - IS allowed on the firing line, provided that it is put safely away after each use. How else to move from the loading location to the firing line with what is in all respects a ready-to-fire gun?
    Last edited by tacfoley; 23-06-2020 at 03:04 PM.

thanks guys
    bought the pedersoli primer pan dispenser holds 200gr apr by vol of swiss 1
    ballkeeper

We have been down this road before.

I believe the general term "detonation velocity" is a measure of how fast an explosive releases its gases. Gunpowder was preferred in the mines as it was considered a "soft explosive" because its slow release of pressure, compared to other explosives, rendered the rock rather than shattering it.
    Semtex has a detonation velocity of 5 mile per second.
    Detonation velocity is only used correctly for explosives which detonate. Such explosives are "High Explosives" BP is not.
    TANSTAAFL

Detonation velocity is only used correctly for explosives which detonate. Such explosives are "High Explosives" BP is not.
    If only HE can have a detonation velocity then what is the term that would be used for the fast expansion of gases created when gunpowder explodes? It has obviously been measured for someone to arrive at the figure of 900-950fps. It must have some term attached to it for it to be understood.

Watch here as capandball takes part in a local match in Hungary run under the rules of the MLAIC - he is using what I bleeve to be the see-through pan-powder primer - on the shooting line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCGg6NMCYMU

If only HE can have a detonation velocity then what is the term that would be used for the fast expansion of gases created when gunpowder explodes? It has obviously been measured for someone to arrive at the figure of 900-950fps. It must have some term attached to it for it to be understood.

That process is termed "deflagration". Google it and there is plenty of information out there
    TANSTAAFL

That process is termed "deflagration". Google it and there is plenty of information out there
    You mentioned nothing about subsonic. Had you done that it would have clarified it at the outset.

This:-
    Deflagration and detonation are two ways energy may be released. If the combustion process propagates outward at subsonic speeds (slower than the speed of sound), it's a deflagration. If the explosion moves outward at supersonic speeds (faster than the speed of sound), it's a detonation.

You mentioned nothing about subsonic. Had you done that it would have clarified it at the outset.

This:-
    Deflagration and detonation are two ways energy may be released. If the combustion process propagates outward at subsonic speeds (slower than the speed of sound), it's a deflagration. If the explosion moves outward at supersonic speeds (faster than the speed of sound), it's a detonation.

I am pretty sure I mentioned supersonic in connection with detonation and that BP was not supersonic in post #35. Do I have to spoon feed that it is therefore subsonic? Was not your own statement of 900 - 950 f/sec not a clue? Had you read my post properly you would have understood it at the outset.
    TANSTAAFL