Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of the mighty 4x32

I've got a period (Jap) Hunter 4x32, the sight picture is simply superb
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I've got a period (Jap) Hunter 4x32, the sight picture is simply superb
    I have one, also, and agree. I have an ASI and an Original(I think) 4x32 and they all 3 appear to be the same scopes, just branded differently.
    Have a couple of Nikko Silver Antlers from the 80's and they are very good also.

The Sabre 4x32PA's available from Ramsbottoms a few years ago were great for the money. It's difficult to get a good,new 4x32/ 4x40 these days. These formats are not well served by manufacturers unless quite low end.

4 x 32

Weihrauch do a nice 4 x 32 pa target turrets but hard to obtain. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I have one, also, and agree. I have an ASI and an Original(I think) 4x32 and they all 3 appear to be the same scopes, just branded differently.
    Have a couple of Nikko Silver Antlers from the 80's and they are very good also.

The Sabre 4x32PA's available from Ramsbottoms a few years ago were great for the money. It's difficult to get a good,new 4x32/ 4x40 these days. These formats are not well served by manufacturers unless quite low end.
    Yes, I don't know for sure whether this is 100% accurate, but it was reported that those bargain Sabre scopes may have been pretty much the same as the Nikko Airking scopes???? I recommended one to a beginner friend of mine to fit on his HW99 and it does seem very good.

Re the "higher end" availability, I think you're possibly right there. Pretty sure Nikon used to do one and when I last looked on the Uttings site, they were no longer available. Guessing the likes of Leupold don't offer them?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I have a Leupold 4x33 that has actually becone my favourite scope. So bright, so clear, so simple.

I am definitely getting simpler as I get older!

Unfortunately I do not have the pockets at the moment to justify another, but this one will definitely be a keeper. I had another a few years ago and stupidly sold it, when I told myself I needed more mag. I didn't though, I just thought that because I could I should have more mag.

Doesn't seem to be much new out there in a similar configuration for my modest pockets though.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I like my old Japanese 4x32 Nikko it's so simple

I find using a smaller mag 5 or less is the ideal trade off between target finding and giving good feedback around poa movements which are exaggerated by a larger magnification. I'm sure this contributes to a good feeling and confidence prior to releasing the shot.

Sorry, I can't seem to express what I mean more clearly than that.

I like this thread.

4x32

I've got a very old 1980's Panorama Jap scope on my MK1 HW80, Panorama advertised in the AGW in the early 80's and were based in Norf London. I've also got a beautiful bright gloss Rhino 6x32 with the old German sniper recticule.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes, I don't know for sure whether this is 100% accurate, but it was reported that those bargain Sabre scopes may have been pretty much the same as the Nikko Airking scopes???? I recommended one to a beginner friend of mine to fit on his HW99 and it does seem very good.

Re the "higher end" availability, I think you're possibly right there. Pretty sure Nikon used to do one and when I last looked on the Uttings site, they were no longer available. Guessing the likes of Leupold don't offer them?
    Tony- they did do, and Uttings had them. Unfortunately Nikon have stopped making rifle scopes now. I see Leupold do a 4x28 rimfire scope that looks very tidy. They still do 3-9x33's as well.

Interesting comment about the Sabre's. If they have any relation to the Airkings, they were even more of a steal. They did offer a 2-7x32 also for a fair bit extra. Pity supplies seem to have dried up.

I know China has taken over mass production of budget to mid price scopes from Japan over the last quarter century. But it's surprising that you can't get a reasonably priced Japanese made scope these days. Or a least pick one up easily.

From our sponsor, when he had a shop in Shipley, I had a Tasco 4x40 wide "TV" angle. I'm not sure how real the "wide angle" was but it looked cool and was a very nice scope nevertheless. Fixed 4's and 2-7 in either 32mm or 35mm have become my favourites too.

Asi 4x32 on me mk1 innova
    And a hakko red dot on the mk 2 innova

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    When re-parallaxed to "airgun distances", those old japanese 4x32's are the best optics you can get for the money they cost.
    The little Tasco 611VFM was p/x in feet.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Size doesn't matter. (Or so Im often told).

Its quality of lens and some of the early Jap Tascos are superb.

That looks in good condition Ian what year is it.

Sorry I meant the gun.