Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: In praise of the mighty 4x32

Sorry, trying to send pictures went wrong.

I agree,I enjoy the simplicity and fit and forget. I have a 4x32 parker hale and a Simmons WTC 4x40. Always spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    My best mate had a C1 when we were young. I remember being in awe at the quick handling characteristics of it ( although I can’t mention the ‘targets’ we were shooting at...) I’ve always liked those rifles since.
    A straight handed stock would be grand on a HW95/99 or similar.
    Yes, I could see that working 👍

Louis on here made a nice straight stock for a Titan (?) PCP - I reckon it's a bit of a niche taste but, I like it

All of the above.

I had a beaman C1 when they came out and fitted an optima 4x32 to it! Struggled a bit with Accuracy with that gun but remember my dad saying "can you hit that rope" which was about 1/2" diameter about 50 yards away with open sights. Hit it with the first shot! Not sure if I did it again though!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

vixen

Thanks to Paul [mach1.5 ] for mentioning his Vixen scope, it reminded me that I had bought a nice little meteor .177 carbine, in 2012, and the main reason for buying it was, it sported a little Vixen 4-32 AO immage moving, Jap made, scope, I had the rifle out today,had a few shots, and little rifle was spot on, and far better nick, than I remembered it to be, it has the bsa screw in silencer/with adapter, now the silencer has a bit of paint on it, hence it sticking in my mind, as being scruffy, but rifle has a few tiny marks otherwise very clean all over, def worth the high-ish price paid for it at the time,[ esp as no sights ], bought off Tony Ballas ?, At Daystate, anyway, scope is super bright/clear, it's light, just right for the little Meteor, Den.

I have a C1, and like it as a piece of ephemeral 80s nostalgia

But really I don’t much like it.

As well as the usual Webley Vulcan issues (unpleasant action, poor trigger), which are exacerbated by the lighter, shorter, barrel, I don’t think it handles very well.

I’ve used lots of straight-grip shotguns and rifles that were great, because their weight felt like it was between the hands.

By contrast, the C1 feels top-heavy, and heavier than its actual weight. And thence slow.

My contemporary Webley Tracker handles much better.

I think the older scopes fill the eye piece with more information then the newer ones
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Yep, Simmons 4 X 32 on my mk1 hw77 I was shooting at the weekend. A pleasure to use especially the clarity.

Dave
    Is that the one I had on the Original 75 Dave ?

Norm

I like my 4x32s. The Weaver K4 with it's post reticle is nice but so are the older and newer Nikko Stirlings, the older Tasco and the newer Sabre mentioned above.

My Weaver K4:

Last edited by vestlenning; 22-06-2020 at 10:24 AM.

x4 is a great happy medium for most airgun shooting range and its fixed mag standardise your image expectation, its simpler construction means you can get better glass and good clear image for your dollars.

I have a tasco W4x32 Japan on my mercury S, a 4x32 Golden antler TV view un-mounted and a weaver K4 classic 4x38 on my Diana 280.

Edit! Forgot my sabre optics 4x32AO on my 22 Airsporter S!
    Last edited by maximus; 22-06-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Eons ago when I used to shoot on an army base with a dad and his son (both worked as caretakers on the base) the dad said to me "You'll never need anything more than a decent 4x32". At the time I thought this was nonsense as it was the late 80s so bigger was better. My BSA .25 had a Nikko 6x56 on it!

For the record he was shooting a 22-250 bolt action with a 4x32 - he shot a fox that day at a fair range. His son was using a Browning semi auto .22 with a 4x32. Later his son got himself a Venom 77 with - if memory serves me - a Venom 4x32 scope. Might be wrong but I remember him saying he wanted the Tasco 2-7x32AO but couldnt get hold of one.

Fast forward to today and I think he was right.

Pics are of my 97 .22 with a Rhino 4x32 scope. It's Japanese and glossy. Standard duplex ret. I got it off the bay, boxed and never mounted. It's lovely.
    Other pics are of my 97 .20 with a Hawke Vantage 4x32AO. Personally I think this is the best scope in the whole Vantage range. Nice wide angle. Crisp visuals and a fine mildot.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cwBmc9NHuGHwuWwE6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/EbUVemqBqTCJ4wrF8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/1kfMsaucAF2BfEUFA

I've since put the Vantage on the .22 because I was having some parallax issues with the Rhino. It will go back on there once I've found the best pellet as it looks far too nice!

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    x4 is a great happy medium for most airgun shooting range and its fixed mag standardise your image expectation, its simpler construction means you can get better glass and good clear image for your dollars.
    Exactly how I feel.

Craig; a great thread you've started here and there is clearly so much love and admiration for the classic 4x32 prescription.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

UTG 4x32 Bug Buster:

Last edited by vestlenning; 22-06-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Sabre 4x32:

Last edited by vestlenning; 22-06-2020 at 10:56 AM.