Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pcp choice

Pcp choice

Hi all, new to the forum and first post. Have owned a hw35 for around 30 years but not really used it for the last 10 as got into shotguns but packing that up as have done my shoulder in, am looking to purchase a pcp in .177 flavour, have a little smallholding so plenty to shoot at pigeons, crows and squirrels are aplenty currently. I have around £400 to spend on a rifle and scope and would like to hear any recommendations from you experienced shooters.
    Regards Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by JB11 View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum and first post. Have owned a hw35 for around 30 years but not really used it for the last 10 as got into shotguns but packing that up as have done my shoulder in, am looking to purchase a pcp in .177 flavour, have a little smallholding so plenty to shoot at pigeons, crows and squirrels are aplenty currently. I have around £400 to spend on a rifle and scope and would like to hear any recommendations from you experienced shooters.
    Regards Jason.
    Do you have a filling supply, If you could give a little more detail , Like, shot count, multi shot , etc, Cant really go wrong with a Air arms s200 ,

Will be getting a hand pump, would like a multishot ideally and also something my 11 yr old son could handle for a bit of fun on targets in the garden.

I would look out for a air arms s410, The s200 be more suited for your son but unless it has the multishot already fitted the cost is going to increase, Also the shot count ain't the best,

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    packing that up as have done my shoulder in, am looking to purchase a pcp in .177 flavour, have a little smallholding so plenty to shoot at pigeons, crows and squirrels are aplenty currently. I have around £400 to spend on a rifle and scope and would like to hear any recommendations from you experienced shooters.
    Regards Jason.
    Will be getting a hand pump, would like a multishot ideally and also something my 11 yr old son could handle for a bit of fun on targets in the garden.
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fan of pumps unless it's for real occasional use, and getting one with a dodgy shoulder is probably a mistake as 8/10 people getting a pump eventually get a cylinder, so it's ultimately an extra cost for most people.

Your potentially looking at guns like the S200 or older offerings for your budget, so if you can, go to £600 and you will get a decent modern gun/scope and cylinder for around that price and be a lot happier with it. On the other hand you could get a BSA Ultra in your budget with a cylinder and it would also be easy for your lad to handle, but they have a terrible shot count, so you will be filling it all the time - you pay for what you get I'm afraid.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks for the advice, I had been thinking about a bsa ultra as it sounds a light rifle and maybe ideal for my son, I could maybe scrape a little more money for the right outfit. How may rifle fills would you get out of a bottle, would need to see if there is anyone local to me to fill them up I suppose and what is the rough cost to have a cylinder filled?
    Would a air arks 410 have more shot count than an ultra?
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I had been thinking about a bsa ultra as it sounds a light rifle and maybe ideal for my son, I could maybe scrape a little more money for the right outfit. How may rifle fills would you get out of a bottle, would need to see if there is anyone local to me to fill them up I suppose and what is the rough cost to have a cylinder filled?
    Thanks
    If you are looking at something like the ultra then look at the gamo phox. Has a package with rifle scope moderator bag and pump. The scope is basic but will get you up and running. Cracking little rifle for the money and also uses the magazine systen that doesn't require that stupid magazine lock system that the ultra uses. Lightweight with synthetic stock so giving it the odd knock wont do too much damage. Comes in at £482 or thereabouts. Gamo own BSA so basically a version of the ultra just cheaper. Sold hundreds of these little guns and very very few issues. Has a hard plastic trigger but i've never had to kill a quarry by beating it with the trigger!

Thanks for that, I have had a look at the phox, it does look a nice rifle, what are the rules regarding courier are air rifles allowed to be posted?

you won't go far wrong with an air arms s410 good tried and tested rifle i have owned one for 15 years and no complaints.

S410 is a better choice. It has higher shot count than the s200. The s410 is a very reliable rifle. My s300 is 25+yrs old. Still on its 2nd set of seals which is bloody good for a pcp. You will not regret buying it chris

as above lovely gun

+1 to an Air Arms- I own a S400F fitted with a Rowan Engineering magazine system, pellet on pellet, perfect combo.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    How may rifle fills would you get out of a bottle, would need to see if there is anyone local to me to fill them up I suppose and what is the rough cost to have a cylinder filled?
    Thanks
    The number of fills depends on the capacity of the cylinder you have, the pressure it's filled to, and then the same with the gun and how much to fill it from and to - so there is not an actual answer to your question. For arguments sake though I'd expect an Ultra with a small cylinder to get perhaps 40 fills from a 7L - but I didn't work it out.

An AA410 on the other had will have around double+ the shot count of the Ultra if I remember correctly and will therefor get around half the fills, so 20ish fills from a 7L cylinder, but both will have roughly the same total shots from the 7L, you just fill the Ultra 2 to 3 times more often.
    Last edited by Jesim1; 19-06-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    The number of fills depends on the capacity of the cylinder you have, the pressure it's filled to, and then the same with the gun and how much to fill it from and to - so there is not an actual answer to your question. For arguments sake though I'd expect an Ultra with a small cylinder to get perhaps 70/80 fills from a 7L - but I didn't work it out.

An AA410 on the other had will have around double+ the shot count of the Ultra if I remember correctly and will therefor get around 40+ fills from a 7L cylinder, but both will have roughly the same total shots from the 7L, you just fill the Ultra 2 to 3 times more often.
    40 fills you must be on about just small top ups. You will never get 40 fills from a 7L tank. Number of fills depends on how low you let your gun go pressure wise.

S410 does look a lovely rifle, now I just need to find a s/h one in .177 then will keep looking and hopefully something may pop up on the for sale section on here, would consider a ultra too but like the sounds of a bigger shot count from the aa.