Thread: The Webley based Frankenpistol

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

The Webley based Frankenpistol

For a while I have been thinking about putting together a Webley based "Frankenpistol" .

However for now it is a few bits that I am after ----but nothing too good to put on a decent pistol if you get me?

I'll update this later when I've had a look and a think about things.

I am planning future Webley based things and if anyone has anything that they thing might be useful--even dinged or broken, please Pm me.
    I'll probably be after a Junior piston at some point and even damaged Webley frames might be handy.

The way i look at it --if something is damaged / broken, then I cannot break it much more---and it is not a crime to tinker with things like that .
    Last edited by ggggr; 09-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    For a while I have been thinking about putting together a Webley based "Frankenpistol" .

However for now it is a few bits that I am after ----but nothing too good to put on a decent pistol if you get me?

I'll update this later when I've had a look and a think about things.

I am planning future Webley based things and if anyone has anything that they thing might be useful--even dinged or broken, please Pm me.
    I'll probably be after a Junior piston at some point and even damaged Webley frames might be handy.

The way i look at it --if something is damaged / broken, then I cannot break it much more---and it is not a crime to tinker with things like that .

A "thank you" to all the people who are helping with the Frankenpistol project. It is quite a lot!
    Lawrie sent me some Van Dyke crystals years ago which i've used to stain the grips that Andy (airgunner .177) made.
    Also --help from Cringe, PjBingham, Phil Russel, JohnBaz (Radlad and Norm on the other forum ),ccdjg ------------and a bit more idea bouncing around with various people.

It is getting very close to "fingers crossed" time when bits turn up and I hope it goes together.

It seems a bit of a stupid project as what I will end up with more or less is a Mk 1 with a stirrup catch and a none adjustable trigger ! But hopefully the bits will come together and give the feel of a Eastern European copy of a Webley .

A bit of an update. A few snags have cropped up and hopefully will get sorted. I'm really hoping the barrel and linkage work out.

Things have progressed -------------and stopped . By "borrowing" the barrel and linkage off a Mk1 , I put about 20 shots through it.
    The pistol is going for finishing as a problem cropped up the pivot pin size and the amount of material in front of the pivot hole. It may be a case of using a standard Webley pivot and lockscrew, although I do like the idea of a plain pin.
    If the frame had as much material in front of the hole as a Tempest/ Hurricane it would not be a problem.
    So it is time to think/ chat about options-----and hopefully soon--- the thing will be working.

Even before this is finished, I'm thinking about another Webley based thing if anybody has any rough/ damaged/ broken frames about?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ggggr; 04-08-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Guy's .
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Coming on nicely, mate, kind of a Webley but more eastern European, like the name and the grips look cool. I think the description agricultural chic just about covers it.

Hopefully when it comes back I'll be able to play a blowlamp round bits of it and then Plum brown most of it to give it an "Aged" look.

I think the grips Andy sent look pretty good. They are a bit "blocky" but I think that adds to the look and spirit of the pistol. If i get plinking with it i may slightly round off the front of the right one. I wont do any finger grooves as I do want it to be Ambi. One of the ideas kicked around was making the barrel catch so it could be reversed for Lefties . I was not too bothered about that but I think it can be. The catch is heavier duty than a standard Webley one and i asked for it to be made to look a bit crude, so it looked more like a copy than an actual Webley one. It was left for me to do the final shaping and it is a fine like between it looking too rough and too good. A number 5 was stamped on the catch and it is also stamped on various bits of the gun. The frame is stamped up 1957 7 4.

If another rough Webley frame crops up , I might be interested in trying something similar. Maybe the barrel pivot and the long bracket in one pice like the Hurricane /Tempest? Also using Webley parts , barrel pivot screw, long link and cocking shoe off a Mk1 to make things easier.

I am quite looking forward to having a plink with it.
    If it is rubbish, I could always send it to Ij for a doorstop or paperweight

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post

If it is rubbish, I could always send it to Ij for a doorstop or paperweight

No need to. I understand he already has plenty of those with HW stamped on them.

Well things went a bit pear shaped with this and someone else is having a go at sorting it. You never want to ask one engineer to try to sort out another engineers work---- as (1) it pisses off the original engineer (2) sometimes try to modify something is harder than doing it at an earlier stage (3) the 2nd engineer might not have the same equipment so cannot really do the parts from scratch.

Sometimes I think people with the skills look for a harder way to do things where as us idiots try to find the simple way as we dont have the skills.

The stepped barrel going into lugs idea was a good one and Noma, Lov and Mahely all used it. Webley also did it with the late Premier, Hurricane and Tempest. If the thing is done right it means unsklled people can put the bits together.

Looking back at it, I think a single barrel pivot/ cocking arm lug, like the Hurricane/ Tempest would have been a good idea, but the spacings would have had to have been done to the MK1 pistol spacings due to no pivot lug.

It would be nice if someone with the skills had a go at making one of these. I mean, I want to try this, but it would be nice to see one that someone had done in the spirt of things.

The pistol came back to me before Christmas ---but went on a road trip for 3 people to try. Its been back here for a while now and I've been getting used to it. I found the grips too square and uncomfortable, which I knew they would be , but I didnt want to sand them to fit me until other people had tried the gun. Once I got the grips right (for me) I opened up the rearsight notch a little bit.

Dannys site https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....frankenpistol/ and the last 3 pics are of the gun before I sanded the grips to fit.
    To say there is no trigger adjuster, the trigger is not bad. The gun is quite accurate with its rusty Chinese rifle barrel.

AND It is bloody good fun to plink with

Well genius is a word too often used by people but not in this case! I love it, amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Well genius is a word too often used by people but not in this case! I love it, amazing work.
    Sadly it is not my work although the idea and final fettling was down to me.

From Memory apart from the donor pistol frame (I forget), Cringe (Al) did most of the work, Radlad on the other forum made the barrel catch (which everyone seems to like if you are reading this Fred), Airgunner .177 made the grips to order, Vic Thompson sleeved the end of the barrel into the pivot and CCDJG pinned it when the gun went to him before Christmas, Phil Russell supplied the rusty Chinese barrel , Flat trajectory off the other forum supplied the piston, Troubled shooter the VODLEY sticker and I used Van Dyke crystals to stain the grips that Lawrie sent me years ago.
    John Baz welded up the damaged end cap.

If Ive forgotten anyone, drop me a Pm and I'll amend this.