Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little bit of history

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    A few more:

More history https://imgur.com/a/clY6hfx

I know I've duplicated one of the pics, did it on my phone and not easy to remove. Anyhow, I can probably borrow the originals to make better quality scans.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That is very kind. At the moment, I'd like to find a publisher to take care of the production element. I'd probably make a lot more money by self publishing but that would require considerable investment up front not to mention a lot of page setting and other technical work. Most people that know me will know I'm a technophobe and far more at home with assimilating historical data rather than the technical aspect!

At least the BSA draft and illustrations are finally complete after some 10 years of work.

Kind regards,

John M
    Maybe speak to Paddy_SP On here as he has had a few books published.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Maybe speak to Paddy_SP On here as he has had a few books published.
    Thank you - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

Brilliant pics and a great bit of history. I'd like a copy of the book too - when you get to publishing...

Astounded yet again at the depth of knowledge on this forum.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi John et al,

I do log in now and again as still get the odd P.M., and often have a look through here, All the best of luck with the book mate, I am sure it will be a cracker, and on the subject of the Channel Island guys, my missus is really big on family history stuff so was really interested by the posts on here and the information given.

Don't want to hijack the thread so will do a "hello long time" type one in a bit,

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi John et al,

I do log in now and again as still get the odd P.M., and often have a look through here, All the best of luck with the book mate, I am sure it will be a cracker, and on the subject of the Channel Island guys, my missus is really big on family history stuff so was really interested by the posts on here and the information given.

Don't want to hijack the thread so will do a "hello long time" type one in a bit,

ATB, Ed
    Great to see you back on here Ed.

I have quite a bit of info on between the wars matches including an account of one that sounded like one of the parties was about to call the other out for a duel the next morning. I was expecting seconds to be appointed at any moment! And then there's the match between Yorkshire and Lancashire....

All the best mate.

John

very interesting

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Great to see you back on here Ed.

I have quite a bit of info on between the wars matches including an account of one that sounded like one of the parties was about to call the other out for a duel the next morning. I was expecting seconds to be appointed at any moment! And then there's the match between Yorkshire and Lancashire....

All the best mate.

John
    Hi John,

It can get fraught even now, in the 9 odd years I have been doing it now, it has been mostly calm, but there are a few strong characters in the league, and a few years ago we were told by our captain to walk out and abandon a match as the captain of an opposing team refused to get off the target at 8.30pm to the away side (us) to allow practise...I think the pair of them had a bit of history,and there were stories of past gamesmanship of different types / faking scores etc.

It ended up with a bit of loud voices, and a small keffufle outside when one of our team, an ex Para in his 70's but 6 foot plus and fit as a butchers dog, turned back on someone as he left due a comment, I think the other guy saw sense.

We then had an league enquiry where I was amazed to see people basically making stuff up to cover their backs.

Rematch at a later date was a pin drop affair, but we won, and a couple of the main protagonists have retired now so we all get along, it's strange how one or two people can dominate a group.

Normally eve3ryone is good as gold as all have shared hobbies and interests, jut the old bad apple syndrome I suppose, bound to happen in a league of 120-150 people.

ATB, ED

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi John,

It can get fraught even now, in the 9 odd years I have been doing it now, it has been mostly calm, but there are a few strong characters in the league, and a few years ago we were told by our captain to walk out and abandon a match as the captain of an opposing team refused to get off the target at 8.30pm to the away side (us) to allow practise...I think the pair of them had a bit of history,and there were stories of past gamesmanship of different types / faking scores etc.

It ended up with a bit of loud voices, and a small keffufle outside when one of our team, an ex Para in his 70's but 6 foot plus and fit as a butchers dog, turned back on someone as he left due a comment, I think the other guy saw sense.

We then had an league enquiry where I was amazed to see people basically making stuff up to cover their backs.

Rematch at a later date was a pin drop affair, but we won, and a couple of the main protagonists have retired now so we all get along, it's strange how one or two people can dominate a group.

Normally eve3ryone is good as gold as all have shared hobbies and interests, jut the old bad apple syndrome I suppose, bound to happen in a league of 120-150 people.

ATB, ED
    Great to have you back on here again Ed, you have been missed. it is always the same in life the few will always spoil it for the many. stay safe.