Thread: 6mm Dasher project

6mm Dasher project

In search of an accurate rifles for range use ended up going for the 6mm Dasher which is traditionally formed by ‘blowing out’ the 6mm BR case, but in the process you loose some of the neck length that give the original BR case its accuracy. Norma now produce a Dasher case but with the original neck length - so that was the base of the build.

https://ibb.co/2gW8GyW

Action is the Ultimatum deadline which has a few nice features, short bolt throw and in this build no ejector as it is a single shot and I’m in no hurry

https://ibb.co/2gW8GyW

Barrel is a Benchmade from March Scopes UK, have used these on a few builds now and very pleased. Trigger tech trigger used ans set at around 1/2 pound. Stock is a Gunwerks carbon fibre Verdict and fully adjustable with a very neat ‘poop off’ cheek piece for easy cleaning. Scope is a March High Master 10-60 x 56 in March Uk rings. The integral rail on the action is 20moa.

https://ibb.co/x3DXtVj

In developing the load I tried for the first time the ‘10 round’ method which gave 2 nodes, further testing and I settled on the lower node which uses 32.4g of IMR 4166 under the Berger 105g Target hybrid and yields a MV of 2940fps out of my 27” barrel.

First trip out to 1000 yards a couple of weeks back was very pleasing, 1st round down the ‘very clean from storage’ barrel was low the rest in the V with a fish tailing wind only requiring aiming edge to edge of the bull - big grin time

https://ibb.co/pnzDRbH

The rifle is quite heavy and most definitely a range tool but does what I wanted, simple to load for, accurate and consistent and at the lower node not a barrel burner.

Nice build and great results
    I love my 6mmBR
    The 6mm's are great,easy to load,economical on powder & very accurate
    Out of interest what dies are you using
    ATB
    James

James

thank you for comment.

Wilson FL with neck bushing sizer and a Forster Micrometer BR seater.

FYI Use the above in conjunction with a Sinclair de-priming tool and one of their carbide expanders, both as separate operations.

T

Crickey, what size group is that at 1,000 yards? That's quite the tool!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Crickey, what size group is that at 1,000 yards? That's quite the tool!
    They are 1moa squares On the electronic target and a TR ring size so actually not as good as I’d like

the wind was fishtailing so I was keeping up with that by aiming L & R of the target, but the elevation is a little up and down for my liking, but as it was first time at distance and the scope was both on canted and a bit too far back I was pleased.

Just need the local tunnel ranges to open and I can sort the finer detail?

T

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    They are 1moa squares On the electronic target and a TR ring size so actually not as good as I’d like

the wind was fishtailing so I was keeping up with that by aiming L & R of the target, but the elevation is a little up and down for my liking, but as it was first time at distance and the scope was both on canted and a bit too far back I was pleased.

Just need the local tunnel ranges to open and I can sort the finer detail?

T
    So you're looking at 10" at 1,000 yards?

Not bad! Well done.

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    So you're looking at 10" at 1,000 yards?

Not bad! Well done.
    Thank you...but not ‘great’ Bit like my school reports ‘could do better

Thibben,

I had a Dasher for a short time using the Norma brass from March UK but couldn't get anywhere near my target speed with the 105 class bullets. In fact it was slower than the previous barrel chambered in 6BR before I had to quit, because of pressure signs. This was with a Rem 40X with ejector. I have a couple of friends using Barnard and Stolle actions using the same brass, but without ejectors, like yourself and they are happy to go beyond what I felt my rifle was limited to and getting good results. In the end I sold the dies, brass, probably 2/3's that had not been used and re-chambered to 6 x 47 and getting the results I was after, albeit with larger charges of powder and no doubt a shorter barrel life. Good luck with the cartridge.

Leeman

I had a 6mm Swiss match for a while, basically the same cartridge as your 6-6.5x47. Very accurate and easy to load case. I was using the 115 DTAC,s from memory.

Chose the 6mm Dasher as I wanted a pure accurate range rifle. 2900+ is all I was looking for with the 105’s which my rifle is easily achieving with the 4166. My gut feeling is there is another load a bit faster than the 2940fps but it is not necessary.

Out of interest what speed were you looking for?

Thibben,

I wasn't being greedy, 2900 - 3000fps or thereabouts would have been acceptable, subject to accuracy, but I couldn't achieve 2800fps without ejector marks on the brass, two different bullets and three different powders didn't make any difference, must have just been a 'slow' barrel. It did and does shoot accurately enough for my needs, short and mid range F class, but you are potentially leaving too many points on the table at those low speeds when your competitors are shooting 7mm cartridges!

The build and Ultimatum deadline action look stunning Terry, was the action U.K. sourced? The longer necks on the Norma brass was a steer for my reamer and build but as below it didn’t work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post
    Thibben,

I had a Dasher for a short time using the Norma brass from March UK but couldn't get anywhere near my target speed with the 105 class bullets. In fact it was slower than the previous barrel chambered in 6BR before I had to quit, because of pressure signs.
    I have had similar issues recently with the Norma Dasher brass in a 20 Dasher build, it early days yet but I’ve switched over to Lapua brass which I have been hydraulically formed with the Whidden form die and the pressure signs have gone away with the brass swap. Accuracy over speed any day of the week.

Leeman

No, 2900-3000 seems about right.

220AI

Thank you for the comment re build. Sourced action, stock and barrel thru Gary at March UK. Very knowledgeable, very helpful. Current I’m putting together a clone of this rifle but 22rf based on a Voodu action 😎

Have not seen any issues to date with this brass, I believe it is from a later catch, original batch had rim thickness issues. But not running an ejector might be influencing this.

I have over the years owned a good number of rifles, think this is the most accurate to date.

T