Thread: Case tumbler medium?

Case tumbler medium?

After many moons my tumbler medium has finally stopped working effectively, but to my horror, looking on line, I see that I must have been asleep since I last bought the stuff.

FIFTEEN POUNDS!!! x 100

I recall that last time I bought it it was in a HUGE plastic bag and cost about 1/6d. Was a while back, though...

So where's the best place to get it these days, and by that I mean, of course, the most economical?

look for ground walnut grit, about £9 Kg
    or https://www.internetreptile.com/pror...-grit-5-litre/
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Mrs Turnup is a Silversmith. She tumbles silver in Stainless Steel media with water - a mixture of pins and balls. Would this be good for cases?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Mrs Turnup is a Silversmith. She tumbles silver in Stainless Steel media with water - a mixture of pins and balls. Would this be good for cases?
    Yup, it's BRILLIANT for cases, and there are a number of case tumblers out there that use this method.

However, that's NOT what I have.

I have a vibratory medium tumbler that uses crushed walnut husks or similar - and that's what I'm asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    look for ground walnut grit, about £9 Kg or https://www.internetreptile.com/pror...-grit-5-litre/
    That's the stuff!!!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That's the stuff!!!

Thanks.
    stick your media in a well tied up pillow case and bung in washing machine then tumble dry it after.....then put some jewellers rouge in or any case polish product etc.....make sure that knot is tight even if you have to cable tie underneath as well.....dont ask how i know please

Media

I have a Thumlers Tumbler, I only used one bag of walnut shells,lasted years, I used to wash it & spread it out on newspaper on a sunny day to dry, worked a treat, now I use long grain rice, yes, you guessed it, the cheapest, it might not get a shine like walnut grounds but it gets the dirt off. I don't know if it would work in a vibrating cleaner but for around 75P give it a try.
    Elwellaxe.
    P.S. If your really tight you can wash that also.

This is a cheap source of crushed walnut

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You should be able to get it from a local supplier/ pet store

been using rice in mine, works good ,
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by Elwellaxe View Post
    I have a Thumlers Tumbler, I only used one bag of walnut shells,lasted years, I used to wash it & spread it out on newspaper on a sunny day to dry, worked a treat, now I use long grain rice, yes, you guessed it, the cheapest, it might not get a shine like walnut grounds but it gets the dirt off. I don't know if it would work in a vibrating cleaner but for around 75P give it a try.
    Elwellaxe.
    P.S. If your really tight you can wash that also.
    AND you can eat it!