Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

Evening all, been a while but I’m not up to speed on the newer PCPs these days so thought I’d ask the collective wisdom of the BBS

I’ve got a requirement for a new sub-12 compact precharged. Had things like Skan bullpup and mini in the past, also had a steyr lp5 with a little buttstock attached which was a cracking little semi auto rig but lacking in power with it being a pistol.

Semi was good fun in the LP5 so having googled about a bit I see the Pro X is now available in rifle format so would clearly be ideal but a bit of a price tag to match...

Is there anything else worth looking at or shall I just bite the bullet and get an X?

Currently already using a Browning Buckmark .22lr which is a similarly compact rifle but has a bit too much poke for some areas I’m rabbiting on. Semi obviously isn’t absolutely needed but does look like good fun which is half of the point if these things

Cheers all and hope there’s a few old school members around who still remember me

The AGT Uragan Compact is an excellent stumpy gun and over £1000 cheaper than the Steyr. However, stock levels seem to be very low on anything interesting at the moment and you may struggle to find what you want.

Bsa ultra se? Compact, accurate rather a lot less money than a steyr

Ah thanks guys was watching the tumbleweed on this thread wondering what I'd done wrong

I definitely fancy a bullpup more as a change than anything else, current main sensible PCP is a Harrier X which isn't exactly a snooker cue but can get a bit unwieldy bu the time you put a moderator on it...

Also I've not bought a new gun in years and that self indexing action does look good fun! Is there anything else similar for fast firing fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    Is there anything else similar for fast firing fun?
    Huben k1, but good luck finding one (I have one and it's great fun).
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

Quote Originally Posted by aj View Post
    Huben k1, but good luck finding one (I have one and it's great fun).
    Groups open up like hell on those guns on fastfire mode though. Look at the youtube vids. Fixed mag i also do not like as if the safety switch should malfunction you have a real safety issue on your hands. As with the pro x the mags are removable. What stops the pellets falling out of the loading side if the gun is pointed vertical? Rather the styer myself.

Seems to me the price of rapidcfore air for a steyr is a lot when a mag fed is just as goodcas dropping quarry.

Depends what balance berween spend and performance and features which is your shout.

Steyr will probably be most expensive work gun bullpup but plenty of competitors

I would be looking at an FX Impact or HW100 pup
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Groups open up like hell on those guns on fastfire mode though. Look at the youtube vids. Fixed mag i also do not like as if the safety switch should malfunction you have a real safety issue on your hands. As with the pro x the mags are removable. What stops the pellets falling out of the loading side if the gun is pointed vertical? Rather the styer myself.
    1. Grouping will suffer when any weapon is fired rapidly.
    2. I don't need to watch YouTube vids as I own a K1.
    3. Fixed mag is a pain but at least you can't lose it/leave it at home.
    4. The safety failing would be no more of an issue than if it happened on any weapon
    5. There are lugs that stop the pellets from falling out if pointed upwards.

Choice is a personal thing, but at a grand more than the K1, is the Steyr worth it? Only the buyer can decide that. The op asked for alternatives to the ProX and that's what I gave him.
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

For a compact pcp you won't go far wrong with a BSA ultra, but your post suggests to me you are just looking for an excuse to buy that Pro X I have one & it's great, & whilst groups do open up a bit in fast fire mode, at 35 yards those groups are still inside a 5p piece.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    For a compact pcp you won't go far wrong with a BSA ultra, but your post suggests to me you are just looking for an excuse to buy that Pro X I have one & it's great, & whilst groups do open up a bit in fast fire mode, at 35 yards those groups are still inside a 5p piece.

John
    That shows styer quality. The Huben k1 on the other hand on a few vids i looked at the groups open up like a shotgun on fastfire mode. Yes the Huben k1, is a grand cheaper but id rather pay the grand extra and have your tighter grouping. Fastfire with tidy grouping would be devastating on rat shoots. Rather the removeable mag of the styer also as a lot better safety wise

I have two Steyr Pro X, and personally love them, I have had a Huben and it was okay, not as well made or as accurate but it's much cheaper and at least you have the fun aspect of semi auto.

The FAC AGT Vulcan would my next choice as the one I had was unbelievably accurate, but obviously single shot so not really comparable

Kalibrgun make some really well made and accurate stuff as well so well worth a look

I know people rave about the FX line up, but all the ones I have had have been awful, especially the impact, however they were all bought at the beginning of the guns releases so I am sure they have had most of the problems ironed out, once bitten twice shy though.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    Evening all, been a while but I’m not up to speed on the newer PCPs these days so thought I’d ask the collective wisdom of the BBS

I’ve got a requirement for a new sub-12 compact precharged. Had things like Skan bullpup and mini in the past, also had a steyr lp5 with a little buttstock attached which was a cracking little semi auto rig but lacking in power with it being a pistol.

Semi was good fun in the LP5 so having googled about a bit I see the Pro X is now available in rifle format so would clearly be ideal but a bit of a price tag to match...

Is there anything else worth looking at or shall I just bite the bullet and get an X?

Currently already using a Browning Buckmark .22lr which is a similarly compact rifle but has a bit too much poke for some areas I’m rabbiting on. Semi obviously isn’t absolutely needed but does look like good fun which is half of the point if these things

Cheers all and hope there’s a few old school members around who still remember me
    The BP17 is as compact as it gets. It's not semi-auto like the Steyr but considerably cheaper.
    https://sureshot-airguns.co.uk/atama...micro-bullpup/

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I have two Steyr Pro X, and personally love them, I have had a Huben and it was okay, not as well made or as accurate but it's much cheaper and at least you have the fun aspect of semi auto.

The FAC AGT Vulcan would my next choice as the one I had was unbelievably accurate, but obviously single shot so not really comparable

Kalibrgun make some really well made and accurate stuff as well so well worth a look

I know people rave about the FX line up, but all the ones I have had have been awful, especially the impact, however they were all bought at the beginning of the guns releases so I am sure they have had most of the problems ironed out, once bitten twice shy though.

Andy
    Pretty much all makers launch too early. The FX impact being switch barrel and adjustable power was pushed out the plane door with no parachute and got exactly the feedback it deserved. No longer the case
    It has much more flexability than the steyr as well as well supportrd after market most supported and embraced by FX which is unusual.

The steyr offers fast fire via the trigger. If you need it for hunting then your 1 shot 1 kill ethics can be.... eroded maybe.

I am a Steyr fan hence my name but impact for me or HW100 puppy
    Last edited by Steyr; 25-06-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Trying to msg you Geordie but inbox full .. ; )

I had a Pro X for a while. A .177 carbine length. Here are my findings:

Build quality and general usability were tremendous. Trigger felt pretty much the same as a standard/non-pupped rifle, so there are no concerns about ‘squashy bullpup trigger syndrome’.
    Loading could be a bit of a pain as the muzzle needs to be tilted forwards when the mag is loaded, otherwise the pellets will fall out and worse, can get wedged in the mag well. Not a real problem if you’re at a bench and you have a pod fitted, as you can simply tilt the rifle forward with your trigger hand and load the mag in with the other - but in other scenarios, it’s a pain (forget carrying loaded mags in your pocket too, it’s simply not possible).
    It’s a very ‘tall’ rifle with the rail fitted, which I found I needed to get a comfortable head position/sight picture. I used a 40mm objective VX3 on medium mounts and there was a sizeable distance in sight/boreline. Not a problem at all for target shooting but hunters presented with close up shots are going to have to work on establishing accurate holdover, or think of an alternative sighting setup/PBR zero setup.
    Stability off the AirForce pod was pretty much the most stable I’ve ever found on a rifle. Whether that’s to do with the rifle hanging under the pod (it affixes to the top rail), I’m not sure but I could hold it on target as if it was clamped in a vice. Handling off the pod was also excellent, the rifle really does make you want to pick it up and point it.
    Shot count was great, consistency was great and fit and finish were usual Steyr quality, no complaints.
    It’s a loud rifle. That’s not because your ear is by the firing port, it’s just loud due to the mech. My LG110 with a mod was near silent but this ProX with the same mod still sounded like a SSP pistol at 4fpe. Again, not a problem at the range but if you’re shooting around skittish livestock it could be.
    Semi auto feature is brilliant and as I said years back, I can see a load of opportunities for new disciplines with this type of air rifle. But on the range or plinking, the novelty wore off for me quite quickly and I couldn’t see the real advantage over a bolt action pcp such as a HW100 (at around a quarter of the price...)
    I have semi auto rimfire rifles and shotguns and they offer a few advantages in certain situations in the field (although I’ve never emptied all eleven 12g rounds from my shotgun in one go, unless I was messing around) - but at the range for normal target shooting, they’re of no advantage at all - and a semi auto rimfire is never going to be as accurate as a bolt action, or single shot rifle which I why I use my Martini action for that type of plinking.
    Accuracy, I have to say not brilliant...
    At 25-30 yards it would single hole, move that target past 40 yards and the groups opened up significantly. I tried every type of quality pellet I had and although the barrel was pretty unfussy, it just wouldn’t group at extended ranges. Anyone who knows me will know I like shooting long range and that’s what I bought this rifle for.
    I removed, cleaned, reseated the barrel correctly (just touching the mag and a number of other configurations) and got some ‘decentish’ groups at 60 yards - but when I switched to my TX200 and easily put in better groups, I was more than a bit disappointed. My TX cost sub £100 as it was a scrapper, plus more importantly, it recoils...Fair enough, I can shoot a springer well enough and actually prefer using them, so perhaps my TX was unfair to compare the ProX against. My Ripley XL9 is a fair comparison to the ProX - but again, the Ripley put in a group around a quarter of the size that ProX managed at 60 yards and easily outshot it without me putting in any effort.
    So looking at the ProX’s real world capabilities, usability and then comparing its price against other models that would perform similarly, I just couldn’t justify keeping it and that’s why I sold it on (along with needing some money for my father in laws legal fees). It actually went to a hunter who wanted to use it with NV at quarry up to around 35 yards, so the accuracy wouldn’t be an issue for him.
    I was truly gutted as I really wanted to like the ProX but as said, it couldn’t justify its place in the cabinet. I’ve asked my mate who has the Scout SA if he’ll allow me some time with his when lockdown is over and I’ll see how that performs. If that does the business then I’ll buy one because as harsh as the above may sound, they’re still great rifles. If it doesn’t then I’ll forget the whole thing and buy an Uragan which seems to tick pretty much every box and can be fired pretty much as quickly.
    Hope this helps you make a decision anyway.
    Last edited by Craig-P; 24-06-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation