Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I had a Pro X for a while. A .177 carbine length. Here are my findings:

Build quality and general usability were tremendous. Trigger felt pretty much the same as a standard/non-pupped rifle, so there are no concerns about ‘squashy bullpup trigger syndrome’.
    Loading could be a bit of a pain as the muzzle needs to be tilted forwards when the mag is loaded, otherwise the pellets will fall out and worse, can get wedged in the mag well. Not a real problem if you’re at a bench and you have a pod fitted, as you can simply tilt the rifle forward with your trigger hand and load the mag in with the other - but in other scenarios, it’s a pain (forget carrying loaded mags in your pocket too, it’s simply not possible).
    It’s a very ‘tall’ rifle with the rail fitted, which I found I needed to get a comfortable head position/sight picture. I used a 40mm objective VX3 on medium mounts and there was a sizeable distance in sight/boreline. Not a problem at all for target shooting but hunters presented with close up shots are going to have to work on establishing accurate holdover, or think of an alternative sighting setup/PBR zero setup.
    Stability off the AirForce pod was pretty much the most stable I’ve ever found on a rifle. Whether that’s to do with the rifle hanging under the pod (it affixes to the top rail), I’m not sure but I could hold it on target as if it was clamped in a vice. Handling off the pod was also excellent, the rifle really does make you want to pick it up and point it.
    Shot count was great, consistency was great and fit and finish were usual Steyr quality, no complaints.
    It’s a loud rifle. That’s not because your ear is by the firing port, it’s just loud due to the mech. My LG110 with a mod was near silent but this ProX with the same mod still sounded like a SSP pistol at 4fpe. Again, not a problem at the range but if you’re shooting around skittish livestock it could be.
    Semi auto feature is brilliant and as I said years back, I can see a load of opportunities for new disciplines with this type of air rifle. But on the range or plinking, the novelty wore off for me quite quickly and I couldn’t see the real advantage over a bolt action pcp such as a HW100 (at around a quarter of the price...)
    I have semi auto rimfire rifles and shotguns and they offer a few advantages in certain situations in the field (although I’ve never emptied all eleven 12g rounds from my shotgun in one go, unless I was messing around) - but at the range for normal target shooting, they’re of no advantage at all - and a semi auto rimfire is never going to be as accurate as a bolt action, or single shot rifle which I why I use my Martini action for that type of plinking.
    Accuracy, I have to say not brilliant...
    At 25-30 yards it would single hole, move that target past 40 yards and the groups opened up significantly. I tried every type of quality pellet I had and although the barrel was pretty unfussy, it just wouldn’t group at extended ranges. Anyone who knows me will know I like shooting long range and that’s what I bought this rifle for.
    I removed, cleaned, reseated the barrel correctly (just touching the mag and a number of other configurations) and got some ‘decentish’ groups at 60 yards - but when I switched to my TX200 and easily put in better groups, I was more than a bit disappointed. My TX cost sub £100 as it was a scrapper, plus more importantly, it recoils...Fair enough, I can shoot a springer well enough and actually prefer using them, so perhaps my TX was unfair to compare the ProX against. My Ripley XL9 is a fair comparison to the ProX - but again, the Ripley put in a group around a quarter of the size that ProX managed at 60 yards and easily outshot it without me putting in any effort.
    So looking at the ProX’s real world capabilities, usability and then comparing its price against other models that would perform similarly, I just couldn’t justify keeping it and that’s why I sold it on (along with needing some money for my father in laws legal fees). It actually went to a hunter who wanted to use it with NV at quarry up to around 35 yards, so the accuracy wouldn’t be an issue for him.
    I was truly gutted as I really wanted to like the ProX but as said, it couldn’t justify its place in the cabinet. I’ve asked my mate who has the Scout SA if he’ll allow me some time with his when lockdown is over and I’ll see how that performs. If that does the business then I’ll buy one because as harsh as the above may sound, they’re still great rifles. If it doesn’t then I’ll forget the whole thing and buy an Uragan which seems to tick pretty much every box and can be fired pretty much as quickly.
    Hope this helps you make a decision anyway.
    Why the Uragan? Better than the normal vulcan craig? Edgun rm5 is supposed to be a good gun also. I really fanced getting a semi auto but your review and youtube vids of the kubert k1 have put me off. On fast fire the groups are terrible and resemble 410 shotgun spread. Might give the edgun a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Why the Uragan? Better than the normal vulcan craig? Edgun rm5 is supposed to be a good gun also. I really fanced getting a semi auto but your review and youtube vids of the kubert k1 have put me off. On fast fire the groups are terrible and resemble 410 shotgun spread. Might give the edgun a whirl.
    I’ve no real experience with the Vulcan but I prefer the handling of the Uragan and the design looks a little more adaptable. Both seem to be built like tanks, too. My mate has the Uragan compact in .22 and the accuracy of the thing is pretty unbelievable.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Thanks Craig for that in depth review

Build quality comments are pretty much what I was hoping for, but the accuracy thing sounds disappointing! Something like a Steyr you'd expect an absolute tack driver so I'm very surprised by that

I was looking more at the standard length rather than the scout, but for the cash you'd want it to be absolutely spot on. May need to rethink this one then what a shame

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post

Build quality comments are pretty much what I was hoping for, but the accuracy thing sounds disappointing! Something like a Steyr you'd expect an absolute tack driver so I'm very surprised by that

I was looking more at the standard length rather than the scout, but for the cash you'd want it to be absolutely spot on. May need to rethink this one then what a shame
    Same here i am gutted as was looking to buy a scout once i return to work. Will have to look at the vulcan verses the edgun rm5 then. Cant understand how fastfire opens the groups up on these guns. Its not as if they kick like a rimfire ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Same here i am gutted as was looking to buy a scout once i return to work. Will have to look at the vulcan verses the edgun rm5 then. Cant understand how fastfire opens the groups up on these guns. Its not as if they kick like a rimfire ffs.
    With a semi auto rimfire, the recoil can actually assist when shooting a stationary target as you get into a sort of rhythm (if that makes sense).
    Anyway, I’m sorry if I’ve confused things for you, lads - but I can only report my true findings. There are a few ProX owners on here, I’d love to see some controlled, 50 - 60 yard groups that they can achieve (I shot my groups very slowly in order to resist the fast fire temptation and achieve the most accuracy). They may be able to improve on what I was able to extract from mine.

With a semi auto rimfire, the recoil can actually assist when shooting a stationary target as you get into a sort of rhythm (if that makes sense).
    Anyway, I’m sorry if I’ve confused things for you, lads - but I can only report my true findings. There are a few ProX owners on here, I’d love to see some controlled, 50 - 60 yard groups that they can achieve (I shot my groups very slowly in order to resist the fast fire temptation and achieve the most accuracy). They may be able to improve on what I was able to extract from mine.

So you pay a couple of grand for a "fast fire gun" that you have to shoot slowly to attain a group !!!! AND other than semi auto style being fun, and possibly a faster 2nd shot on quarry because the 1st didnt drop the way you wanted it to, you have to let the gun settle a bit so you dont get a flyer.

Thats an expensive NON advantage to me. I want 2nd shot onwards to be as spot on as the first
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    So you pay a couple of grand for a "fast fire gun" that you have to shoot slowly to attain a group !!!! AND other than semi auto style being fun, and possibly a faster 2nd shot on quarry because the 1st didnt drop the way you wanted it to, you have to let the gun settle a bit so you dont get a flyer.

Thats an expensive NON advantage to me. I want 2nd shot onwards to be as spot on as the first
    In a nutshell, yes - which is a shame.
    I found the accuracy decent enough up to 30-35 yards, which I suppose is the average range that most air rifle quarry is taken at - but I personally wouldn’t have had confidence in the rifle to take a shot at anything living at any further range. I like to have the option to take the longer shot if I want.
    So basically I couldn’t justify the price of a what was (to me) a 30-40 yard plinking rifle.
    In its defence, however - I didn’t find the groups opening up when I was rapid firing (but as said, those pods really do give a rock solid platform to shoot from). It’s actually difficult to resist the urge to let fly and take your time.
    All in all, if it was around a grand then it would be worth trying with various barrels - but at £2.5k it’s difficult to ignore a second hand HW100 and £2k left in your pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

My thoughts exactly. Id planned to sell a few more guns off to buy the pro x. Shame they cant cure the flyer problems.

In my opinion the accuracy issues are caused from the pellet being fired from the mag, straight into/through the barrel. This is why I’m keen to have a play with my mates Scout H5A and see if that delivers similar results at extended ranges.
    I’m unsure if the Hunting 5 ‘non auto’ fires direct from the mag, be interesting to find out.
    If anyone else has a ProX and would care to put a few groups in at 45m +, I’d be very interested to see the results.
    Best, Craig

If this had been a tack driver I'd probably already have a wanted ad up

Wonder if the non-scout is any better? I've seen a few reviews saying they were happy with the accuracy but to be honest I dusted off my old Harrier X the other day and although it's unwieldy with the huge moderator on it, it's almost silent and absolutely pellet on pellet.

I can't justify £££ on something that doesn't perform

In my honest opinion, if you bought this and intended using it for general hunting, you’d be disappointed. I’d suggest a number of rifles before the ProX.
    It’s not problematic to load but far more fiddly than a HW100/AA4/510 etc.
    You can’t carry a loaded mag in your pocket (the pellets will fall out).
    It’s nowhere near as quiet as other PCP’s with a moderator fitted.
    It’s double the price of most other offerings.
    The example I had didn’t shoot as accurately as my daughters Artemis carbine (which we built for around £200)
    All the above said, they’re still very nice rifles to use at a range/garden - and if I can find an example that’ll group at 50m+ I’ll have another.
    Best, Craig

Maybe time to knock this idea on the head then

Been looking around at other offerings, these Kalibrgun Crickets look interesting (the mk2 with forward side lever rather than in the buttstock) - any strong feelings about them?

Think I'll keep using the Harrier X for the time being and see if an interesting bullpup appears, not keen on all these synthetic/ar15 lookalike things though it needs to have a bit of wood on it!

If you can live with the 8 shot magazines, the FX Wildcat MK2 is an excellent bullpup. I have a couple of mates who own them and after using theirs, I bought one in FAC power.
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

Maybe time to knock this idea on the head then

Been looking around at other offerings, these Kalibrgun Crickets look interesting (the mk2 with forward side lever rather than in the buttstock) - any strong feelings about them?

Think I'll keep using the Harrier X for the time being and see if an interesting bullpup appears, not keen on all these synthetic/ar15 lookalike things though it needs to have a bit of wood on it!
    No experience with the MK2 I’m afraid mate but I’ve used a Mk1 - and a good friend of mine who has a vast collection swears it’s the most accurate rifle he has. You may a,so want to consider some of the FX range.
    I won my first HFT shoot with a Harrier X, they might be a bit dated now but they’re solid, reliable and accurate - seems a shame to exchange that for something that might not be any of those things...

No experience with the MK2 I’m afraid mate but I’ve used a Mk1 - and a good friend of mine who has a vast collection swears it’s the most accurate rifle he has. You may a,so want to consider some of the FX range.
    I won my first HFT shoot with a Harrier X, they might be a bit dated now but they’re solid, reliable and accurate - seems a shame to exchange that for something that might not be any of those things...
    Yes thanks mate - Harrier will be staying either way, I seldom sell kit if I don't need to

Just looked up the FX Wildcat as well there, didnt realise they came in walnut as well as the ubiquitous FX SWAT wannabe styles

And then while looking up the Kalibrgun Cricket 2 I've also came across the AGT Vulcan 2 which also has the biathlon cocking lever.

Shame none of my local gunshops have a great selection of air rifles in stock these days, I could do with looking a few of these things over.