Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    Yes thanks mate - Harrier will be staying either way, I seldom sell kit if I don't need to

Just looked up the FX Wildcat as well there, didnt realise they came in walnut as well as the ubiquitous FX SWAT wannabe styles

And then while looking up the Kalibrgun Cricket 2 I've also came across the AGT Vulcan 2 which also has the biathlon cocking lever.

Shame none of my local gunshops have a great selection of air rifles in stock these days, I could do with looking a few of these things over.
    I really do like the WildCat, they also do a grey laminate version that you may like (I actually prefer the standard black SWAT style personally)
    The Vulcan 2 and the Uragan have the biathlon lever, both well worth considering.
    I don’t think many places stock AGT, I certainly haven’t seen any other than Braces of Bristol and BAR. If you’ve any decent clubs up your way, it’s well worth popping along and having a play (although how you borrow someone’s rifle whilst we’re all distancing is beyond me I’m afraid mate)
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Looked at several reviews there tonight and the Vulcan 2 looks quite promising (as does the cricket 2 but availability seems to be an issue)

Apparently one of the Newcastle dealers stocks AGT but it’s still not really a ‘pop to town and try a few in the shoulder’ environment out there with Covid

Decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    In my honest opinion, if you bought this and intended using it for general hunting, you’d be disappointed. I’d suggest a number of rifles before the ProX.
    It’s not problematic to load but far more fiddly than a HW100/AA4/510 etc.
    You can’t carry a loaded mag in your pocket (the pellets will fall out).
    It’s nowhere near as quiet as other PCP’s with a moderator fitted.
    It’s double the price of most other offerings.
    The example I had didn’t shoot as accurately as my daughters Artemis carbine (which we built for around £200)
    All the above said, they’re still very nice rifles to use at a range/garden - and if I can find an example that’ll group at 50m+ I’ll have another.
    Best, Craig
    Personally styer need to look at the issues with the pro x. Its not capable of doing what they made it to do. £2500+ is a lot of dosh for a gun that fires accuratly only at a slower pace so that makes the semi auto part redundant. Soud like a mis-"alignment of the mag on fastfire so maybe clipping the barrel instead of going straight down the barrel. Only thing it could be. Styer must have done fastfire trials with these guns before general release. Its going to cost them sales wise unless they fix the problem.

It’s fine if you want to shoot deaf rabbits at 25 yards, off a bench, tilting forwards...

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Personally styer need to look at the issues with the pro x. Its not capable of doing what they made it to do. £2500+ is a lot of dosh for a gun that fires accuratly only at a slower pace so that makes the semi auto part redundant. Soud like a mis-"alignment of the mag on fastfire so maybe clipping the barrel instead of going straight down the barrel. Only thing it could be. Styer must have done fastfire trials with these guns before general release. Its going to cost them sales wise unless they fix the problem.
    The poor accuracy in rapid fire could also be related to the speed at which the regulator re-pressurises.
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

Quote Originally Posted by aj View Post
    The poor accuracy in rapid fire could also be related to the speed at which the regulator re-pressurises.
    Did not think of that well spotted. Could be a few issues then. Styer need to sort it out fast then.

It’s fine if you want to shoot deaf rabbits at 25 yards, off a bench, tilting forwards...

So with the mag loaded craig can the pellets fall out of the gun?

at the deaf rabbits

Did just spot that Daystate Pulsar in the classifieds but I’m a bit leery of battery powered Airguns, just seems like another thing to go wrong (Luddite alert )

Plus they look a bit like laser guns I prefer something a little more normal looking especially when I may encounter joe public on my wanders (hence also not keen on the FX et al EBR look)

The Steyr Pro X is a lovely rifle but my choice in this category would be the Edgun Matador R5M. It doesn't have the 'self indexing' feature of the ProX which means you waste less ammo. It is an expensive rifle but still usefully cheaper than the Steyr.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by aj View Post
    Huben k1, but good luck finding one (I have one and it's great fun).
    I agree and although I don't own one I have used one extensively. However it is FAC only which might disqualify it for consideration in this search. What the K1 does indicate very clearly is that the future in high end PCP's is being 'hammerless' and I would look for most of the high end makers having hammerless guns available within a pretty short period.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Interesting shout on the Edgun - as someone who’s been away from the airgun scene for a while these are all very similar looking but then again bullpups do tend to gravitate to a certain format

Requirement is basically a top quality, walnut/laminate stocked, easy to cock while holding on target, quiet, well balanced gun suitable for walked up rabbit shooting.

Not sure if I’ll try a compact scope on it like a Connect or I may just stick my pard 008 on it and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    So with the mag loaded craig can the pellets fall out of the gun?
    No, they’re secure enough when the mag is in the well.
    However if you try and load the mag into the well vertically, or worse still with the muzzle tilting up (off a pod for example), they’ll fall out and drop into the well, requiring you to dig them out/shake the rifle (which isn’t exactly ideal if you’re stalking rabbits).

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post

Requirement is basically a top quality, walnut/laminate stocked, easy to cock while holding on target, quiet, well balanced gun suitable for walked up rabbit shooting.
    I’d look at AGT or Edgun if you want a ‘luxury’ model. Or I’d look at a Wild Cat or HW100 if you want something that will do the same job and leave you a few quid in your pocket.

The pellets falling out of the mag is easily remedied by seating the pellets in the mag first, a bit of a pain granted, but it works. Never had any accuracy issue's with mine and it is not pellet fussy in the slightest. The action is loud in comparison to a single shot rifle as standard, but an easy mod is the addition of a hammer spring guide which reduces it considerably (Shouldn't have to on a £2500 rifle though).

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.