Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

What about the edgun leshiy mk2

Quote Originally Posted by rc8ktm View Post
    What about the edgun leshiy mk2

Don't think you will see one in the UK for a good while yet unless someone imports one from Europe. There is also a lot of news fake or otherwise as to whether a 12ft/lb version is even going to be available. The UK importer doesn't even know when or if they will be available from his ramblings on here.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Should be july/Aug when there in the UK , yes he rambles but a nice bloke to deal with
    His last ramble announced that he's working with airfective to iron out any niggles with sub 12ftlb

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    The pellets falling out of the mag is easily remedied by seating the pellets in the mag first, a bit of a pain granted, but it works. Never had any accuracy issue's with mine and it is not pellet fussy in the slightest. The action is loud in comparison to a single shot rifle as standard, but an easy mod is the addition of a hammer spring guide which reduces it considerably (Shouldn't have to on a £2500 rifle though).

John
    John, could you possibly post photographs of a couple of full magazine groups? Anything at 50m+ would be great - I’d just to compare my findings to other owners.
    Many thanks, Craig.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    John, could you possibly post photographs of a couple of full magazine groups? Anything at 50m+ would be great - I’d just to compare my findings to other owners.
    Many thanks, Craig.
    See what I can do in the week. Out with the .223 this weekend.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Geordie, I found that I really need to try any bullpup I'm considering in the shoulder for more than just a few minutes. A Wildcat II seemed fine in the shop so I bought it then found I couldn't get a comfortable head position or acceptable groups. I also got cramps in my hand from gripping the pistol grip too tightly trying to get the gun in the right position. A great pity as it was everything I wanted apart from that.

The Uragan Compact is much better for me so I'll be sticking with it. I believe there's a shipment from AGT due to arrive in a couple of weeks so there may be some Vulcans available then.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Geordie, I found that I really need to try any bullpup I'm considering in the shoulder for more than just a few minutes. A Wildcat II seemed fine in the shop so I bought it then found I couldn't get a comfortable head position or acceptable groups. I also got cramps in my hand from gripping the pistol grip too tightly trying to get the gun in the right position. A great pity as it was everything I wanted apart from that.

The Uragan Compact is much better for me so I'll be sticking with it. I believe there's a shipment from AGT due to arrive in a couple of weeks so there may be some Vulcans available then.
    Yes completely take your point and ideally I'd be up at either a dealers or local range to try and see a few in the flesh, but with the current plague situation I'm fairly resigned to taking a punt on a postal buy and then flipping it on if it doesn't agree with me...

Currently swaying towards the Vulcan 2 but would take that or a Matador if either came up for sale first, got the WTB up as I type

Quite typically I've just seen a .177 FX Wildcat in laminate for sale, does look rather nice but can't help but think the AGT/Edgun look a bit more solidly engineered

First world problems

Compact pcp ideas - anything beat a Steyr Pro X?

After reading all these problems with mulishot bullpups i'll stick to my titan mpt.Single shot guns are far more accurate in my experience anyway for hunting & i've always had my biggest bags with them when out rabbiting.I recon if i ever do get one it'd have to be a well sorted artemis, for the price these seem one of the best .

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    See what I can do in the week. Out with the .223 this weekend.

John
    Great stuff, many thanks.
    Have fun.
    Best, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I had a Pro X for a while. A .177 carbine length. Here are my findings:

Build quality and general usability were tremendous. Trigger felt pretty much the same as a standard/non-pupped rifle, so there are no concerns about ‘squashy bullpup trigger syndrome’.
    Loading could be a bit of a pain as the muzzle needs to be tilted forwards when the mag is loaded, otherwise the pellets will fall out and worse, can get wedged in the mag well. Not a real problem if you’re at a bench and you have a pod fitted, as you can simply tilt the rifle forward with your trigger hand and load the mag in with the other - but in other scenarios, it’s a pain (forget carrying loaded mags in your pocket too, it’s simply not possible).
    It’s a very ‘tall’ rifle with the rail fitted, which I found I needed to get a comfortable head position/sight picture. I used a 40mm objective VX3 on medium mounts and there was a sizeable distance in sight/boreline. Not a problem at all for target shooting but hunters presented with close up shots are going to have to work on establishing accurate holdover, or think of an alternative sighting setup/PBR zero setup.
    Stability off the AirForce pod was pretty much the most stable I’ve ever found on a rifle. Whether that’s to do with the rifle hanging under the pod (it affixes to the top rail), I’m not sure but I could hold it on target as if it was clamped in a vice. Handling off the pod was also excellent, the rifle really does make you want to pick it up and point it.
    Shot count was great, consistency was great and fit and finish were usual Steyr quality, no complaints.
    It’s a loud rifle. That’s not because your ear is by the firing port, it’s just loud due to the mech. My LG110 with a mod was near silent but this ProX with the same mod still sounded like a SSP pistol at 4fpe. Again, not a problem at the range but if you’re shooting around skittish livestock it could be.
    Semi auto feature is brilliant and as I said years back, I can see a load of opportunities for new disciplines with this type of air rifle. But on the range or plinking, the novelty wore off for me quite quickly and I couldn’t see the real advantage over a bolt action pcp such as a HW100 (at around a quarter of the price...)
    I have semi auto rimfire rifles and shotguns and they offer a few advantages in certain situations in the field (although I’ve never emptied all eleven 12g rounds from my shotgun in one go, unless I was messing around) - but at the range for normal target shooting, they’re of no advantage at all - and a semi auto rimfire is never going to be as accurate as a bolt action, or single shot rifle which I why I use my Martini action for that type of plinking.
    Accuracy, I have to say not brilliant...
    At 25-30 yards it would single hole, move that target past 40 yards and the groups opened up significantly. I tried every type of quality pellet I had and although the barrel was pretty unfussy, it just wouldn’t group at extended ranges. Anyone who knows me will know I like shooting long range and that’s what I bought this rifle for.
    I removed, cleaned, reseated the barrel correctly (just touching the mag and a number of other configurations) and got some ‘decentish’ groups at 60 yards - but when I switched to my TX200 and easily put in better groups, I was more than a bit disappointed. My TX cost sub £100 as it was a scrapper, plus more importantly, it recoils...Fair enough, I can shoot a springer well enough and actually prefer using them, so perhaps my TX was unfair to compare the ProX against. My Ripley XL9 is a fair comparison to the ProX - but again, the Ripley put in a group around a quarter of the size that ProX managed at 60 yards and easily outshot it without me putting in any effort.
    So looking at the ProX’s real world capabilities, usability and then comparing its price against other models that would perform similarly, I just couldn’t justify keeping it and that’s why I sold it on (along with needing some money for my father in laws legal fees). It actually went to a hunter who wanted to use it with NV at quarry up to around 35 yards, so the accuracy wouldn’t be an issue for him.
    I was truly gutted as I really wanted to like the ProX but as said, it couldn’t justify its place in the cabinet. I’ve asked my mate who has the Scout SA if he’ll allow me some time with his when lockdown is over and I’ll see how that performs. If that does the business then I’ll buy one because as harsh as the above may sound, they’re still great rifles. If it doesn’t then I’ll forget the whole thing and buy an Uragan which seems to tick pretty much every box and can be fired pretty much as quickly.
    Hope this helps you make a decision anyway.
    Excellent info there👍

I have had a .22 prox scout for over a year and have put approx. 10k through it, not missed a beat, accuracy wise its way better than I am even at 50 yards! I bought a .177 to go with it at the start of this year and again not as many pellets through it but spot on, being an ardent rapid fan I find myself reaching for them less and less and the steyr more and more...…..

what did steyr u.k. say about the accuracy issues? they are normally very responsive and very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    I have had a .22 prox scout for over a year and have put approx. 10k through it, not missed a beat, accuracy wise its way better than I am even at 50 yards! I bought a .177 to go with it at the start of this year and again not as many pellets through it but spot on, being an ardent rapid fan I find myself reaching for them less and less and the steyr more and more...…..

what did steyr u.k. say about the accuracy issues? they are normally very responsive and very helpful.
    They’re extremely helpful but I never contacted them, I couldn’t really call an issue as there was no ‘fault’ with the rifle. It was very consistent over the chrono, worked faultlessly and as I’ve said, would put all pellets into a single hole at 30-35 yards...
    I’ve read the ProX and H5A shouldn’t be expected to give ‘match grade results’ as the Challenge/LG Steyr models do and to be honest, the test card that came with it (shot at 20m from memory) wasn’t exactly brilliant. However I put that down to ammunition choice and carried on to find a more suitable pellet (QYS domed seemed around best with AA Field a very close second).
    I spoke to a few people who found similar results with their own Steyrs, sometimes blaming magazines for giving varying results, other times quoting the ‘not to expect match grade accuracy’ line and to shoot the rifle for what it was. I watched a chap on YouTube shoot a 60 yard target and I was less than impressed with his results, so I took it that this average level of accuracy was about the norm for the rifle.
    I’ve just found my target card shot at 60 yards, one full magazine, controlled fire off the pod:

Less than impressive when you consider this was done at exactly the same range with a thirty odd year old HW77 with open sights:

And then my scrapper TX (admittedly now very heavily modified) putting in this at the same range:

The springer groups were obviously not shot off a pod either, which was what helped me make the final decision to sell it.
    But like I’ve said, perhaps I had a Friday afternoon special and I’d be over the moon to be see improvements by other owners, as I’d have another for the range immediately if I saw evidence that they actually performed enough to justify their price over a HW100/S510/FX etc.
    Please, if you get chance, Guy - could you post a couple of groups shot at 50+ yards?
    Best, Craig

Crikey that's not good grouping, was it during a thunderstorm?

If nothing else this thread has opened my eyes to the other 'pups available on the market at the moment and probably saved me a grand (if I can find a bleedin' Vulcan 2 or Matador anywhere that is )

Forgot to add the group from my XL9 for a true comparison (pcp multishot, shot off a pod):