Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX Cyclone Problems.

FX Cyclone Problems.

I have a BT regulated Cyclone that for some reason refused to even blank fire, with 250bar in the tank. It has sat unused for a number of years.
    I've stripped the action and can find no apparent problem as everything looks and moves as good as the day it was made, as does the BT regulator.
    Before I re-assemble it with new seals, I thought I would ask on here to see if there are any knowledgeable FX Cyclone owners.
    I have gleaned as much information as I can from the FX Forum, but the strip information, useful as it is, only goes so far and there is limited problem solving info. Even the Cyclone service manual doesn't go into much inner detail.

250 bar seems rather a lot for an older gun. What is the reg pressure reading on the manometer?
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavlar View Post
    250 bar seems rather a lot for an older gun. What is the reg pressure reading on the manometer?
    Sorry, the pressure gauge was reading 200bar not 250, and the reg. pressure was reading 90bar.

Both pressures sound about right.
    Only thing that it might be, is the valve pin - the older ones for some reason had a shoulder cut out & they'd snap flush with the valve (it was an 'automatic upgrade' a few years ago with ASI if a gun went in for service) the new ones haven't got the shoulder & will last.

The valve pin on mine appears to be fine.

Are you getting a 'thud' when the hammer hits the valve pin?
    Is any air released on a 'dry fire'?

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Are you getting a 'thud' when the hammer hits the valve pin?
    Is any air released on a 'dry fire'?
    Yes, a slight thud when the hammer hits the valve pin, but no air is released.

Horrible thought is that the valve is stuck, if the valve pin is ok, it's the only thing left

Any luck in getting it sorted? Don't like to see a cyclone down

I think I may have found the problem but won't know for sure until I re-assemble it, at which point, if the rifle is performing correctly once more, I will post more info.

The problem arose because the two barrel securing grub screws were not tight enough, so when a silencer was fitted and tightened, the barrel rotated and the transfer port became unaligned with the action. This didn't become obvious until the rifle was stripped and the two halves of the action separated.
    I spoke to Ben Taylor about this and he was under the impression there should be a third grub screw to prevent the brass transfer section of the barrel from moving once aligned with the action and power adjuster, which is what I would have expected, but there isn't, and I can find no mention of this third grub screw in the official FX Cyclone exploded diagram and parts list, only the two barrel securing grub screws.

I don't believe their is one in mine, for some reason a few years back I took the barrel out but lined up the block and barrel with a pencil mark.

I would have thought a supposedly well engineered rifle like the Cyclone would have had a transfer port securing screw, as Ben Taylor seemed to think, as the transfer port part of the barrel is separate from the barrel itself and is only secured to the barrel by friction fit and two 'O' rings. Poor design in my opinion.
    I've made damn sure the two barrel retaining grub screws are nice and tight.
    The other thing I discovered is that the hammer spring adjuster port has a hexagon keyed adjuster inside as well as the slotted outer screw. There are two adjusters listed in the parts list, one for .22 and one for .177, which is what my rifle is, but only one shown on the diagram.

The brass transfer port section should be glued to the barrel.
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

Quote Originally Posted by aj View Post
    The brass transfer port section should be glued to the barrel.
    That's the way with all of our FX rifles (got 4 at the moment), never seen one where it's separate