Thread: Increasing the size of a palm shelf

Increasing the size of a palm shelf

Hi,

Is there a recommended way of increasing the thickness of a palm shelf in order to produce a better fit?

I have seen some pistols with an additional layer of thickness added but cannot find a similar product anywhere?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Lewis

Lewis,

To get an idea of what shape works best, you can make adjustments to the shelf with BluTak.

When you are happy, you then then make a permanent version to the same shape using epoxy putty or similar.

My Tau7 Match is still wearing the Blutak as it worked so well

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Lewis

Have a look at the ISSF reg's first, its easy to alter and become illegal.

Have Fun
    Robin

PS. Just spotted the "title" under my name!!!!! was not me who added it! But its one way of stopping me posting!
    Last edited by RobinC; 24-06-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

If you have run out of adjustment cork sheet can be used as it is light and easy to cut and can be bought at many thicknesses from the 'bay, tack it in place with hot glue once you have the correct fit as you can remove the hot glue easily with a hot air gun and a cloth when you need to take it back to standard. I fell foul on one occasion to equipment control at an open with some filler so do like Robin advises and check the ISSF rules on grips. I just remembered Robin was at the equipment control when I was using a large file and creating a mess making my grip legal after some enthusiastic application of filler.
    Last edited by thirdwheel; 24-06-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Like third said. Thin layers of cork can be used to get the fit you want..

Quote Originally Posted by Lewismroberts View Post
    Hi,

Is there a recommended way of increasing the thickness of a palm shelf in order to produce a better fit?

I have seen some pistols with an additional layer of thickness added but cannot find a similar product anywhere?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Lewis
    You should also be aware that your hands may get bigger in warm weather and make a good fit set in winter a but tight in summer. (or is it just me with my big puffy hands?)

Polymorph is a plastic that softens and is mouldable in hot water. Stick the finished part in place with RTV silicone, for easy future removal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MultiMorph-.../dp/B00P70IH2Q

I've used it on a couple of pistol grips as I have small hands.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I usually fit a RINK grip on my 162ie, and I sometimes like to use a standard Morini grip as it gives a different hand angle, but I find that the Medium size standard grip is a little uncomfortable even though it is big enough to get my hand into.

A Large size standard grip fits me much better, but the palm rest will not come up high enough (there is no pleasing some people!) so I laminate a layer of hardwood to the top of the palm shelf and it fits me perfectly!

Using the hardwood does make a non-reversible fix, but it looks really smart and it gives me the fit that I prefer and still allows me plenty of adjustment on the palm shelf, so it works for me as I still like the grip to look smart - even if it has been modified slightly.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.