Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JSB Hades pellet expansion testing video now live...

JSB Hades pellet expansion testing video now live...

Good afternoon all, my apologies for the delay, but my long-promised JSB Hades pellet expansion testing video just went live...

https://youtu.be/cgWkYlcuDqs

I'll be following this up ASAP with some outdoor range grouping tests (we're still mostly locked-down up here in Scotland, aside from when I'm a keyworker doing pest control), so watch this space, i.e. my channel for that.

More to come ASAP including...
    • Reviewing the Ludicrous Lumens Wraith IR illuminator (both 850nm & 940nm) beside four other IR torches, filmed on Pard008LRF.

• Back garden pest control (rats) a few miles from here.

• Another blog for JohnRothery Countryman's Blog.

• KL41 white/red/green/IR -LED torch.

• 25/75 scope camera.

• Unveiling my new FAC pest control air rifle.

• Refilling my squirrel feeders.

• Zeroing my non-FAC .177" & .22" FAC rifles with the Pard008LRF.

...and much more.

Cheers. Russ
    Independent writer/reviewer/pest-controller: Airgun World and YouTube.
    New for 2019 - YouTube, Instagram and Facebook: RussDouglas222
    Flickr albums (accompanying each article): RussDouglasAGW

a video for you Russ https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=xzm9urjQbWU

good video on the pellets Russ .

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I've been watching a lot of videos about these Hades pellets and I've come to the conclusion they require a lot of speed and power to open properly, the .25 versions I've watched, the pellet seem to stay pretty closed up when fired out of a normal 12ftp rifle but needs FAC power to reap the benefits of expansion.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    a video for you Russ https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=xzm9urjQbWU

good video on the pellets Russ .
    Thanks, and you're the second person sent me a bucket video ( )
    Cheers. Russ

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I've been watching a lot of videos about these Hades pellets and I've come to the conclusion they require a lot of speed and power to open properly, the .25 versions I've watched, the pellet seem to stay pretty closed up when fired out of a normal 12ftp rifle but needs FAC power to reap the benefits of expansion.

Pete
    Pete

Yep that's the basic conclusion from me, not a lot of use in sub-12 airguns (especially anything bigger than .22"). A friend has recommended an alternate pellet for .177" sub-12, so I may repeat this test at some point.

Cheers. Russ

Quote Originally Posted by RussDouglasAGW View Post
    Pete

Yep that's the basic conclusion from me, not a lot of use in sub-12 airguns (especially anything bigger than .22"). A friend has recommended an alternate pellet for .177" sub-12, so I may repeat this test at some point.

Cheers. Russ
    I think they open up a bit better in .177 as they have that speed edge over the bigger calibre but like what's been said many times before, if the pellet is accurate enough and it's a head shot, it doesn't matter what calibre it is, if it's taking the brain out the other side of the head then it doesn't have a chance, the reason I love .25 is because it just hits so damned hard, I've never properly hunted with it and when I did hunt, I always used .177 and occasionally .22.

So I think in future, if I want to use a different type of pellet then I think it's hollow points but like I said, I've never had a problem with standard round heads if used in the right place.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I did a similar test myself, but then realised the result is meaningless because water is not skin, flesh & bone,

If I shoot a rabbit in the head with my .25cal the pellet doesn't exit, but if I use a gallon plastic tub of water which is 3x as deep as the rabbits head thickness the pellet goes straight through the bottom.

To my way of thinking a rabbits head is about 3" (75mm) thick, so to test the expansion you need a target of the same thickness at around 25yds that the pellet doesn't quite fully penetrate.

While on the face of it, it doesn't appear realistic but a wad of newspapers, or a bag of sand would probably be more like the correct resistance/thickness ratio.

Hades are stunningly accurate in both my sub12 & FAC .25's .
    Last edited by angrybear; 25-06-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks, and you're the second person sent me a bucket video ( )
    Cheers. Russ
    So I saw from the video comments

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I did a similar test myself, but then realised the result is meaningless because water is not skin, flesh & bone,

If I shoot a rabbit in the head with my .25cal the pellet doesn't exit, but if I use a gallon plastic tub of water which is 3x as deep as the rabbits head thickness the pellet goes straight through the bottom.

To my way of thinking a rabbits head is about 3" (75mm) thick, so to test the expansion you need a target of the same thickness at around 25yds that the pellet doesn't quite fully penetrate.

While on the face of it, it doesn't appear realistic but a wad of newspapers, or a bag of sand would probably be more like the correct resistance/thickness ratio.

Hades are stunningly accurate in both my sub12 & FAC .25's .
    This is the problem with these sort of tests, at least some of the American shooters on Youtube use actual meat with ribs and a layer or two of clothes to test their handguns ammo, the only way to see for sure is to shoot a rabbit and see if you can retrieve the pellet afterwards to see what happens.

Pete

just been watching the vid

I have noticed a difference on using .22 Hades on the outside range at 40yrds shooting fruit there is more of a thump and is more destructive than standard jsb dome pellets they go straight through but the Hades take a chunk out
    The hit sounds a lot louder
    Can't wait to try the .177 when the club finally reopen
    Waveneyshootingclub.org

Good video. I just got some of the FX hybrid slugs that might be interesting to test too.

Thanks everyone. Yep I've seen my (FAC-powered .22" Exact) shot go straight through a smallish rabbit's head at 35m with enough force to 'clunk' against a wooden shed a few metres beyond it.

The main result of the tests for me are that yes, the Hades do expand .177" non-FAC (but only very slightly), and YES they most definitely expand as designed in .22" FAC.
    Obviously water isn't a perfect medium, but there is no such perfect medium commercially-available. However mammals are largely water-based, so adding-in hard animal skulls should only increase the expansion / reduce over-penetration / impart more shock -thus delivering a humane kill.
    Pellet expansion obviously increases their effectiveness.

Cheers. Russ

Thanks everyone. Yep I've seen my (FAC-powered .22" Exact) shot go straight through a smallish rabbit's head at 35m with enough force to 'clunk' against a wooden shed a few metres beyond it.

The main result of the tests for me are that yes, the Hades do expand .177" non-FAC (but only very slightly), and YES they most definitely expand as designed in .22" FAC.
    Obviously water isn't a perfect medium, but there is no such perfect medium commercially-available. However mammals are largely water-based, so adding-in hard animal skulls should only increase the expansion / reduce over-penetration / impart more shock -thus delivering a humane kill.
    Pellet expansion obviously increases their effectiveness.

Cheers. Russ
    Do you feel that the pellet should either be made of a softer lead or the grooves/cut out bits of the expansion part of the pellet be made deeper or 'looser' (sorry I'm trying to find the right wording) so they open up easier with less power?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Do you feel that the pellet should either be made of a softer lead or the grooves/cut out bits of the expansion part of the pellet be made deeper or 'looser' (sorry I'm trying to find the right wording) so they open up easier with less power?

Pete
    Whatever any of us might feel, the economic facts are that making a softer or deeper cut pellet just for the UK sub12 hunting market would not be viable.
    pretty much every other country that allows air rifle hunting does so at FAC power.