Thread: PPU 174gn .308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PPU 174gn .308

Hi has anyone had any experience of reloading with PPU 174gn bullets for the .308. I'm looking for loads ideally using Vhit n140.

Many Thanks
    Liam Webster

I've used this bullet successfully out to 1000 yards at Barton Road in Cambridgeshire. I used Varget which is no longer available so had to start with all the development again. I have had a lot of success with Reloader 15 which has almost identical characteristics to N140. What barrel length rifle are you using - and what range is the maximum you'll use it at? If it's long barrelled you may be able to use a slower powder to better effect ( I use a 20" Sako ). Let me know and I'll dig out my reloading diary and P.M. you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1873 View Post
    I've used this bullet successfully out to 1000 yards at Barton Road in Cambridgeshire. I used Varget which is no longer available so had to start with all the development again. I have had a lot of success with Reloader 15 which has almost identical characteristics to N140. What barrel length rifle are you using - and what range is the maximum you'll use it at? If it's long barrelled you may be able to use a slower powder to better effect ( I use a 20" Sako ). Let me know and I'll dig out my reloading diary and P.M. you.
    mines a 20 inch parker hale scout and it loves varget / vv135 powder

This is uncanny I have today just loaded up 25 rounds of .308 in 5 batches of differing weights of N140 ( 39,39.5, 40, 40.5 and 41gn) for the PPU 175gn FMJBT. I an looking to develop a load for my K98 with a 25" Maddco match barrel.
    Any info for this bullet/rifle would be appreciated.
    Last edited by junkyard dog; 24-06-2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: cos I missed out something
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Hi Loiner. Email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1873 View Post
    Hi Loiner. Email sent.
    received and replied

Quote Originally Posted by lwebster View Post
    Hi has anyone had any experience of reloading with PPU 174gn bullets for the .308. I'm looking for loads ideally using Vhit n140. Many Thanks
    I use these bullets in my 7.5x55 Swiss - they are the same bullets that PPU uses in their factory ammunition. They are acceptable in the K31, but not so good in the K11.