Thread: Mounted lamp for ratting

Mounted lamp for ratting

I had a lot of fun yesterday zeroing scope and remembering how to shoot - managed to group quite well in the end. I'm getting my ratting set-up together and need a lamp of some sort (NV well out of my budget) and looking for lowish budget recommendations? I'm assuming something mounted on the scope is the best bet?

I've been scouring and looked at various shops but finding it surprisingly hard to work out what is quality and what is junk/going to be way too bright. I'd like it to be variable power, ideally. I'm hoping to pick something up for second hand but if there's anything new that is highly recommended I could go for it.

So, any recommendations for lamps much appreciated.

What I have used

T20 torches ( be aware there are many that can be listed as a T20 ).

They are copy of a wolf eyes torch and used for InfraRed illuminators by some a few years back .

you can get them in white , red , green ,yellow (im sure you can ) and IR for night vision use .

you could buy them in 3 mode (high ,medium and low power) or single mode

I have one that I swap the Pills (led parts) from either red to IR . they can be zoomed in or set to flood beams .

These are not so easy to find now as there is newer versions .

They are also available with the bigger 50mm lens or the 67mm lens . bigger the lens = longer range and smaller beam when fully zoomed out .

I have a T20 and a T67.

Newer version of the above

The newer version has an easier to swap pill and even the head size can be changed to give more range .

you can find these in many shops online like ludicrous lumens ,the torch factory and so on .

You can also find them on Aliexpress under the model name of the torch rather than what the other sells call them .
    The uniquefire UF 1508 is the 38mm head size that others call the T38 . It has the same size lens as the old T20 I mentioned above but it has an easier to swap pill .

this pic shows what you can with the one body of the torch but all the different size lenses http://images.night-vision.org/l-m/u...38-t50-t67.jpg

The T20 and the UF 1508 can be used with a rat tail switch you mount on your stock too so you do not have to switch the torch on by the end cap.

If you do buy a torch that uses a 18650 battery ,be aware that Almost all ultrafire or any battery with fire in the name will be fake . Any 18650 battery over 3400mah is fake although there is some genuine 3600mah.

so factor in a decent battery and decent charger into your costs if going for the above torches .

I use an adjustable torch mount on my rifle as it allows me to adjust the beam depending on how zoomed in it is . I have mine set so that it is not directly on the quarry but it still show eyeshine after I have used the full beam to identify the quarry .

Leds that show a white light can be used with a filter but it cuts the range as the led is putting out mainly white light rather than the full spectrum of light like an incandescent light does . If you are only shooting short range then that may not be an issue for you.

Other people will have their ideal torch and they will give advice .

There is many more out there that can be used but the above is what i have used and continue to use

Mounting the torch

I use one of these adjustable mounts https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-si...or-mounts.html

and one of these on my scopes depending what rifle im using

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-si...ory-rails.html

. you can buy them cheaper from E-bay or aliexpress but you will have to wait a long time in some cases as they come from China

Just be aware that some torch bodies depending on the brand may have a thinner/ thicker tubes and some mounts wont fit .

My T67 has a 30mm body as its uses a 26650 battery rather than a 18650.

Russ Douglas on the BBS has a torch review coming up soon and that is one that some people have been using .

KL41 white/red/green/IR -LED torch.
    Last edited by bighit; 26-06-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks so much bighit, that's so a lot of useful info, it's really appreciated. I was worried working at short range (10 yards or less) the light from the LED being too bright and easily startling quarry, hopefully a low power option will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by matthinc View Post
    Thanks so much bighit, that's so a lot of useful info, it's really appreciated. I was worried working at short range (10 yards or less) the light from the LED being too bright and easily startling quarry, hopefully a low power option will do the trick.
    The low power is still bright on some of the torches but you then focus it so the beam is a flood beam which then lights up a wider area also but cuts the brightness down.

Ludicrous lumens is a great guy to deal with https://www.ludicrous-lumens.co.uk/T..._20219828.aspx

The TR series is 3 level pills. The lowest level will still be bright. As stated, setting the head to flood will reduce it but its fiddly if you then want a better image as you have to either step the pill up or tighten the beam.

They are now doing a rotary control either on the tail cap or via a rat tail with on/off and rotary dimmer.

Comes at a price but top kit for use in the field.

I use NV so went for 2 x infra reds and one visible red.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Gun lamp kit

Hi matt, i take it your stock problem is sorted now ? I am sending some whatsapp photos of the kit i got some time back. It has everything you need 3 stage cree light levels. Varrious mounts mounts - remote switch adapter etc. Low level light for close range high level light for up to 50 metres. I also use it for general torch duties when off the rifle. Mickey