Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW95k snapped stock nightmare

HW95k snapped stock nightmare

Just had a bit of a nightmare - managed to snap the stock of the rifle while target shooting. It happened so fast I almost don't know what happened, but think I relaxed my hold on the barrel while cocking thinking I had fully cocked it. I know its a basic to keep a good hold of it, but I'd been shooting for a few hours and must have just got complacent/been on auto pilot.

Anyway, barrel snapped back upright, jolting the whole gun, and the stock has split behind trigger guard. I'm going to try and pick up a new stock, but I'm concerned the rest of the gun might need looking over too to make sure nothing is damaged, scope too. Is this likely? Looking for ideas on best way to proceed? I'm pretty gutted - have been out and baited areas for rats and was managing to group shots nicely so was feeling confident of a good weekend. Getting back into shooting after many years, and I've never taken a gun apart or done any fettling or what have you.

At least you've got your fingers, I hope. Best let a gunsmith or someone knowlegable have look. I've heard of barrels being bent by beartrapping.

HW95k snapped stock nightmare

check the barrel isn't bent upwards

Barrel seems true and there's no signs externally of any other damage done.

Thumbs up Split stock

OH MY GOD MATT WHAT A DISASTER. IS THIS IN TWO BITS OR JUST CRACKED ? IF YOU ARE DESPERATE I CAN DO A REPAIR ON IT TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE FOR NOW. GIVE ME A CALL TOMORROW WE CAN DISCUSS A PLAN. MICKEY

Hw95

If the stock is split then 9 times out of 10 the barrel will be bent with the force of it slamming shut. Internals should be fine so only the barrel and stock to worry about but fairly easy to sort. Mach 1.5

Just check it’s zeroed. Don’t over think it if it’s shooting a tad high as long as there’s enough scope elevation. It’s not the disaster some would have you believe. Bent barrels can be pulled straight in a vice. No worries
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

If you need any help here's one we did earlier
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....rosport-part-2

I has a 98 stock snap on there handgrip as I was cocking it. You could see an existing crack in the stock where the stain had seeped in.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    If you need any help here's one we did earlier
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....rosport-part-2
    This is really useful, thanks. It has snapped, as you might expect, in a very similar place.

I'm going to have a go at repairing it, while keeping my eye out for a secondhand replacement as a back-up.

god that is a mess bud

I've owned,indeed been given several break barrels with severed pistol grips.
    Barrels all beyond repair,a cliche of course but.
    Never let go.......

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    god that is a mess bud
    Yeah tell me about it! It's a messy snap, not fitting back together very neatly at all. May have to cut/sand away a few of the bent and twisted fibres then do a bit of work with filler once it's set.

good luck with it mate

Quote Originally Posted by matthinc View Post
    Just had a bit of a nightmare - managed to snap the stock of the rifle while target shooting. It happened so fast I almost don't know what happened, but think I relaxed my hold on the barrel while cocking thinking I had fully cocked it. I know its a basic to keep a good hold of it, but I'd been shooting for a few hours and must have just got complacent/been on auto pilot.

Anyway, barrel snapped back upright, jolting the whole gun, and the stock has split behind trigger guard. I'm going to try and pick up a new stock, but I'm concerned the rest of the gun might need looking over too to make sure nothing is damaged, scope too. Is this likely? Looking for ideas on best way to proceed? I'm pretty gutted - have been out and baited areas for rats and was managing to group shots nicely so was feeling confident of a good weekend. Getting back into shooting after many years, and I've never taken a gun apart or done any fettling or what have you.

Firstly - make sure you follow through loading every time, getting a barrel in the mush / teeth - now you see why it’s so important

Just fit a replacement stock and check zero
    As has been said if it’s just a few clicks on scope no problem.
    A bent barrel is not terrible if it shoots consistently anyway. Lots of air rifles have minor bends as they made from usually much cheaper tube stock than firearms barrels.

If you bought rifle s/h tuned it might be worth checking sear with a gunsmith / someone who knows there stuff just to make sure some numpty hasn’t ground down by over polishing, though I’ve never seen it on an hw (yet)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34