Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW95k snapped stock nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by matthinc View Post
    This is really useful, thanks. It has snapped, as you might expect, in a very similar place.

I'm going to have a go at repairing it, while keeping my eye out for a secondhand replacement as a back-up.
    Aye, I'd say that's definitely snapped.
    Will it withstand the forces of cocking if you repair it?

I've seen some good stock repairs and owned one myself, my old HW80 stock snapped at pistol grip when FORD 4000 tractor ran over it and once repaired worked very well when a cabinet maker friend of my Dad repaired it and couldn't even see the join but It was just knowing it was there was the main problem!! Didn't take too long to find another stock!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Glue/screw and paint the stock black!

Not broken but black:

If it was mine, I would have glued and doweled or screwed the two pieces together. A nice hardwood cap would hide the hole in the bottom of the pistol grip.
    The pictures show that the way the grain is running is very weak in that area and could do with re-enforcing rather than rely on glue alone.

Some old 10m guns I have, have vertical hand grips with a near horizontal grain which would be very weak if it was not strengthened with a hardwood dowel from the factory.

I would have a go at it especially if you intend to replace with a new stock. Its a good way way to learn a new skill in wood repair. You could always paint it afterwards if it shows too much. Good luck with it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    A bent barrel is not terrible if it shoots consistently anyway. Lots of air rifles have minor bends as they made from usually much cheaper tube stock than firearms barrels.
    Straightening a barrel isn't that difficult, check youtube for instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by matthinc View Post
    Barrel seems true and there's no signs externally of any other damage done.
    Break it and look down it, see a rshadow or dark spot, bent
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I'd be tempted to glue it then drill 2 parallel 8mm holes down the grip and then epoxy in a couple of lengths of M8 studding. That wouldn't break again.

So, I've glued the stock, just waiting for the epoxy to fully cure. I'm planning on sanding it back around the crack and was wondering if anyone knows what stain/finish is normally used on the HW95 stocks? Hoping to get a semi-decent match to the original. Cheers.

Think they are lacquered.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    If it was mine, I would have glued and doweled or screwed the two pieces together. A nice hardwood cap would hide the hole in the bottom of the pistol grip.
    If you drill down from the top, the action hides the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    If you drill down from the top, the action hides the hole.
    Yeah, that's what I've done, neatly hidden by the action.