Thread: Richter Optik scopes - cheap but any good?

Richter Optik scopes - cheap but any good?

Hi Folks,

Contemplating putting a low powered scope on my newly acquired Remington Express Compact and I wondered if the above scopes are any good ?
    I looked in Optics reviews on here but they’re all quite a few years ago.

I was thinking of the Crystal range 6 x 40. They’re selling brand new on the bay for around £30 with mounts

I didn’t want to spend much as it’s only for a bit of plinking out to maybe 35yrds, and our sponsor seems to be out of stock of all the cheaper small scopes otherwise I would’ve spent my money with them.

The other thing is they say they’re ‘shockproof’ so I’m assuming ( maybe wrongly ) that they’ll be ok on a springer !

Anybody had any experience of them ?

Any help greatly appreciated as always

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Hi Folks,

Contemplating putting a low powered scope on my newly acquired Remington Express Compact and I wondered if the above scopes are any good ?
    I looked in Optics reviews on here but they’re all quite a few years ago.

I was thinking of the Crystal range 6 x 40. They’re selling brand new on the bay for around £30 with mounts

I didn’t want to spend much as it’s only for a bit of plinking out to maybe 35yrds, and our sponsor seems to be out of stock of all the cheaper small scopes otherwise I would’ve spent my money with them.

The other thing is they say they’re ‘shockproof’ so I’m assuming ( maybe wrongly ) that they’ll be ok on a springer !

Anybody had any experience of them ?

Any help greatly appreciated as always

Norm
    Well I be blowed, JSR now have them in stock, and cheaper than the bay !! So if I don’t get put off them I’ll order one up tomorrow

Edit. Just realised the seller is JSR, comes with mounts and free postage - win win if they’re ok

Norm
    Last edited by Mr.Fixit-Norm; 26-06-2020 at 11:57 PM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Like most things Norm, you get what you pay for, although a fixed mag should be slightly better because there are less lenses in it than a variable mag scope, so slightly better light transfer but it's all down to the lense quality, as we all know most of the cheaper end scopes on the market are all made in China and most probably in the same factory, it obviously depends on what you are using it for, if you want it for back garden plinking then it should be fine but personally I'd spend a little more and see what better quality secondhand scope turns up on here.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

If you take a close look at the Nikko Mountmaster equivalent scope you will come to the conclusion that they are one and the same, barring reticle design, and by and large most folks don't have a bad word to say about NS so I would say go ahead. I have never owned one myself, Richters that is, but have had a look through a couple at my local Mole store and they seemed pretty decent for the money

I have a Richter 6x40 that came on a used gun. It's serviceable but unremarkable. It adjusts fine and has stood up to HW85 recoil so far. Its worth a punt at that price in my opinion. I would expect the mounts to be a bit below par.
    My ideal 30 or more likely 40 quid scope is an 80s Japanese made number of various brand names or the Sabres that were available from JSR a few years ago if you can track one down. Both better than the Richter by a fair bit.

i had one on my tracker decent scope for the money

Thanks for the replies, I’ve ordered one from JSR on the bay
    To be honest I didn’t want anything expensive as it wouldn’t really be justified and I figure that as a fixed mag it shouldn’t be too bad.

I’ve got spare mounts so if the ones that come with it are a bit iffy I can soon change them.

The other thing I might tweak on the gun, as I’m putting on a scope is to remove the open sights and put a silencer adaptor and silencer on it, more to use as a cocking aid than anything as being the compact version it’s got quite a short barrel and the effort to ‘break’ it and cock it is quite substantial.

Or, I could machine up a simple slip on cocking aid in stead as it’s a 15mm barrel and I just happen to have a 15mm drill

I will do a simple review on the scope when I get it as it might help others thinking of buying a cheap one.

Norm

Used a zoomable Richter on my .22lr and it worked well for me . Only changed it when I got the chance of a new in the box Hawke Digi Nite eye 3-12x50 cheap as I needed a side focus scope for my NV .

The Richter is now on my mates bullpupped s410 carbine but not used often .