Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 35

Original 35

Hello All,
    I'm new to the forum and to air guns, other than having a very poor Diana SP50 back in the day.
    After rebuilding a MK4 Meteor for a friend (bags of power but still has a very heavy trigger) I've had my interest well and truly tweaked and I've taken the plunge and bought an Original 35 0.177" from a dealer, which I should get my hands on in the next day or two.
    I would be grateful for any opinions and advice.
    Apparently the rifle has was used for bell target shooting and is putting out just below 7lbs/ft. I'm not hungry for power but will be servicing the gun and fitting a new spring, piston and breach seal. I will use a standard spring, but is it worth fitting a PTFE piston seal or should I stick with leather (the gun is 1978 and I'm assuming it's a leather seal and guessing it may need replacing)? I'm guessing the power should then be around 8-10lb/ft? Any advice on pellet choice would also be gratefully received.
    Now bearing in mind I have only seen a few blurry pictures of the gun and had a brief discussion with the dealer I understand the stock has a few dents and marks etc., commensurate with its age. The question is, if it's bad should I refinish the stock or give it a clean and a wax and use as is? Will this sort of refinishing add or detract to the appeal of the gun?
    Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Cheers,
    Mark

Welcome to the forum, Mark. The Original 35 is an excellent air rifle. If the guy was serious about bell target shooting the 35 may well have been de-rated intentionally. I have seen .177's as high as 11fpe but 9-10 is more typical of one in good health. My .177 35 is actually shooting at 7 and feels nice at that level. They handle brilliantly and are generally a very well mannered air rifle. Both of mine run leather and I would stick with that, rather than convert to any type of synthetic alternative. Try RWS Hobby and Meisterkugeln 7.0grain pellets to begin with.
    If you like it, it will be worth attending to any cosmetics at a later date. The Birchwood Casey refinishing kit is a good product for the stock.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....t-Break-barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Mark. The Original 35 is an excellent air rifle. If the guy was serious about bell target shooting the 35 may well have been de-rated intentionally. I have seen .177's as high as 11fpe but 9-10 is more typical of one in good health. My .177 35 is actually shooting at 7 and feels nice at that level. They handle brilliantly and are generally a very well mannered air rifle. Both of mine run leather and I would stick with that, rather than convert to any type of synthetic alternative. Try RWS Hobby and Meisterkugeln 7.0grain pellets to begin with.
    If you like it, it will be worth attending to any cosmetics at a later date. The Birchwood Casey refinishing kit is a good product for the stock.

Thanks for the help Drew, it's good to hear.

Original 35

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post

If the piston seal isnt damaged i'd give it a soak in a plastic bag overnight with hempseed oil or neatsfoot oil, the new leather seal i bought from chambers was rubbish, rock hard & didnt seal properly even after soaking, doubt it was even real leather tbh.

Thumbs up

I wouldn't recommend taking a 35 apart as they have a trigger that is something of a b**ch to rebuild!!

I've a couple of 35's although the darker one is badged 'Gecado', A tradename for the Original guns that were destined for the U.S., Australia and South Africa!

The Original 35..

By the way, The early ones don't have a scope rail- Just open sights...

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I've got a 1975 35, pics and info:

https://barx.org/airguns/?id=diana_35

Agree on the piston seal. Keep it leather. First step is to try refurbishing the original (if needed).

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post

Fine looking example. Nice website with some nice, interesting guns. Good work.

Hello to All,

My 0.177" Diana (Original) 35 makes a hair over 8 ft.lb.

It is very 'tired' externally, but internally is in fine shape.

It still has the original (yo-ho) leather piston seal.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I wouldn't recommend taking a 35 apart as they have a trigger that is something of a b**ch to rebuild!!

I've a couple of 35's although the darker one is badged 'Gecado', A tradename for the Original guns that were destined for the U.S., Australia and South Africa!

The Original 35..

By the way, The early ones don't have a scope rail- Just open sights...

John
    Lovely guns John, Have you refinished them? A great collection on your link as well.

Hiya vestlenning.
    That looks a fine looking gun. The stock refinish has been accomplished to a lovely finish.
    I see you make reference to converting the leather seal to synthetic. Can I ask what seal you used for this and did you see any benefit?
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Hiya vestlenning.
    That looks a fine looking gun. The stock refinish has been accomplished to a lovely finish.
    Cheers!

I see you make reference to converting the leather seal to synthetic. Can I ask what seal you used for this and did you see any benefit?
    I used this (or similar):

https://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sh...-35::2946.html

Wouldn't know the difference since the old leather seal was beyond repair but it works just fine now.

Cheers!

I used this (or similar):

https://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sh...-35::2946.html

Wouldn't know the difference since the old leather seal was beyond repair but it works just fine now.
    Can anyone tell me if the difference between the 35 & 35s is just cosmetic or are there internal differences?

Articulated cocking lever and anti beartrap safety on trigger on the 35S.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by in the shed View Post
    Lovely guns John, Have you refinished them? A great collection on your link as well.

Hi There

The light coloured Original is still 'Original', As far as I know it's never been refinished..

The darker stocked Gecado was one of the last rifles I bought, The lad I got it from said the stock had been refinished at Custom stocks of Sheffield..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/