Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ❔ What's Your Favorite Reticle — and Why?

❔ What's Your Favorite Reticle — and Why?

What's Your Favorite Reticle — and Why?

Mine has the following features:
    😊

🔶(1) Holdoff reticle (with evenly spaced hash lines, not a BDC) — because I like to dial for elevation and hold for wind when I have the time, and hold off for both if it's a rushed shot.

🔶(2) FFP reticle/scope — because I want my holdoff mils to be the same no matter what magnification I consider best for the shot.

🔶(3) Thick black posts on the outsides of the reticle — so that I can still easily see the crosshairs even if the reticle has shrunk a lot because I selected a low magnification on my FFP scope.

🔶(4) The same units of measure for both reticle and turrets (either both MIL or both MOA) — so that I can memorize or carry with me just one dope chart — otherwise I'd need one for the reticle, and a different one for the turrets.

And so that when I see on my reticle that I've hit 1.3mil low and 0.7mil left on the target — I just dial exactly those numbers on the turrets and I'm dead on.

🔶(5) MIL rather than MOA — because in MIL I get to read and memorize less numbers, and don't need to convert 3.73moa to 3½ and 11.78moa to 11Ύ.

And in MIL I don't need to calculate how many total clicks a dope is. In the MOA system 6Ύ MOA equal 27 clicks. Compare the MIL system: 2.7 MIL equal 27 clicks. Plain and simple.

🔶(6) Numbers on the hash line (a few) — so that I can quickly find 7.5 mil without having to count seven hash lines down.

🔶(7) Illuminated reticle — as light isn't always good in factory buildings. And when the FFP is on low magnification the IR helps me see the hash lines better (no, I don't obsess over the half ounce of extra weight for the IR...! &#128516.

Thankfully, scope makers have been giving us a good amount of these type of reticles, so there is some choice. 😊

Attached below as a good example the reticle on the Falcon S18i 3-18x50 FFP that checks all the boxes. 😄

Matthias

Just plain crosshairs for me.

One with a centre dot, because my eye/brain seems to work better with concentric circles than crosses. And fine lines, not ones made with a stick of charcoal or a wax crayon!

I realised while writing this, as I don't shoot live quarry most of my targets are circular. Maybe if I shot other shapes I'd like crosses; talking of crosses is there an 'x' (in conjunction with standard horizontal/vertical windage/elevation hash lines) rather than a '+'?

Map 6. Designed for airgun use, simple and uncluttered
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Mil dot. Just because it's what I have on all my guns so no messing calculating from one ret to another.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    Mil dot. Just because it's what I have on all my guns so no messing calculating from one ret to another.
    Another vote for mildot here - learn your trajectory, map it to dots and away you go

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    As above ... I use maybe 3 or 4 rifles and do not want to have to remember different aim points / hold over etc between scopes. Plus I want to be able to see the reticle ... not too fine but not tree trunks either. No need for illuminated either.

Come to think of it, no real need for variable mag either as I don't change from 7x if someone did a straight x7 with an objective c 40mm. Maybe I should try a 7x with 32mm objective.
    Cheers, Phil

Numbered mildots for me, I don't like having to count.
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

One's I can see !

I especially like the fine central crosshair on the duplex type ret in Bushnell 3200 / 4200 series
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Just plain crosshairs for me.
    Same here, nothing fancy
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Duplex.

Or the circle/dot in an EO Tech.

I like simple things. All those dots and ladders and Christmas trees confuse my eyes. There are obviously great for military sniping at 1000 metres, but we’re talking 11 ft-lbs air rifles.

Simple is good: Crosshair and Duplex. Post is a nice variation.
    Last edited by vestlenning; 28-06-2020 at 08:55 PM.

I used to love the post reticle was a nice bit of kit I remember having 1 in Nikko Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive55 View Post
    I used to love the post reticle was a nice bit of kit I remember having 1 in Nikko Sterling.
    I've got a Japanese Bushnell (Scopechief IV 2.75x21) with crosshair and flip up post that still works: