Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 X 40 the forgotten mag?

4 X 40 the forgotten mag?

Following on from Graig-P' s thread on the 4 X 32. I'm trying to think of 4 x 40's. So here's what I've used and can remember!.
    Before everything went, i need more mag...Mach 1.5
    Kassnar 4 X 40 WA
    Tasco AG 4 X 40 WA
    Tasco World Class 4 x40
    Simmons WTC 4 X 40

The really stupid thing is that when we all used 4x40-etc power scopes and after the 3-9-40 craze came about I done the same and got 3-9-40-50s but still usually left it on 4 power I think the extra power was used as a telescope just to look further --same as the parallax scopes got put on zeroed at around 25 yards then left at that stupid really but just to keep in with the trend of the day---now it a case of if it works don't try to fix it

Had a couple of ASI and I think Kassnar branded ones.

It’s a great spec for traditional springer-range pest control.

I’ve always had a soft spot for 6x40 and 6x42 too.

6x40 always fancied trying one of those

About 40 years ago I had a BSA 4x20 and being an inquisitive teenager I had to pull it apart. I thought I would put my little finger down the tube which met a little resistance, and then a little click which was me putting my fingers through the cross hairs.
    I got the bus to Manchester Air Guns and bought an
    ASI 4X40wa (and a set of mounts + an arrestor block in a red and black plastic box) which I was chuffed to bits with.
    On my way home on the bus I opened the box up to look at my purchase when a lad behind me said "Wow, that looks like something off a sniper rifle".
    I'd forgotten about that until you started this thread Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    About 40 years ago I had a BSA 4x20 and being an inquisitive teenager I had to pull it apart. I thought I would put my little finger down the tube which met a little resistance, and then a little click which was me putting my fingers through the cross hairs.
    I got the bus to Manchester Air Guns and bought an
    ASI 4X40wa (and a set of mounts + an arrestor block in a red and black plastic box) which I was chuffed to bits with.
    On my way home on the bus I opened the box up to look at my purchase when a lad behind me said "Wow, that looks like something off a sniper rifle".
    I'd forgotten about that until you started this thread Paul.
    Aaah the shrine of northern airgunning. Ive still got the original B & W photo they used in their adverts and anyone who ever visited their shop in Failsworth for the first time, after seeing their advert, could only admire the creativity of the photographer who used a fisheye lens (?) and worked for Granada T V studios.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

4 x 40

You can still get 4 x 32's and 6 x' s by some of the big names in scopes but the humble 4 x 40 seems to be a thing of the past? Mach 1.5

I've got two, a Tasco and a Wheatherby with tv-view and post reticle.

The Wheatherby:

Last edited by vestlenning; 28-06-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Nikko and AGS do one as do a few budget brands.

I’ve got 4x40 WA by Hunter, Original and also Rhino branded scopes they’re identical to look at and a great high gloss vintage scope. Good optics and a tv like WA appearance.
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    I've got two, a Tasco and a Wheatherby with a post reticle.

The Wheatherby:

Lovely!

I have a couple of 4x40s.

One is a Tasco WA that lives on the .22 HW80 that I still own and was my go to hunting rifle for years. I got the scope about 40 years ago and it lived on my FWB127 initially.

And a Nikko Gold Crown that I bought off The Tinster at the very first Bash. It lives on my Mercury S.

To be honest, I prefer the more compact nature of the 4x32 and its exit pupil is still more than required at 8mm.

I also feel that the 4x28 is a lovely size. Seem to remember looking through a SMK one at a Bash and clarity seemed excellent?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The only 4x40 I had came on my brands new BSA Goldstar .22 package with a Kazu silencer and Churchill 4x40 scope
    I actually used it for a fair while and to be honest wasn't a bad scope, swapped it for a few tins of Superdomes in the end!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I bought a used BSA Airsporter S in about 1981, it had a Tasco 4x40WA on it. The WA is just a mask that makes the sight picture wider than it is high, so not very useful, but the sight served me well for many years and now my son uses the Airsporter and Tasco for ratting with. It's still flawless.

I'd like a 6x50 with side PA, haven't seen one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Had a couple of ASI and I think Kassnar branded ones.

It’s a great spec for traditional springer-range pest control.

I’ve always had a soft spot for 6x40 and 6x42 too.
    I have a 4x40 Wide angle TV screen Leslie Hewitt scope on my early Sirocco :cool.
    My favourite scope spec is the 6x40-42,I have a Hertel &Ruess 6x46 with ladder type ret, it’s my all time favourite .
    Les..