Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 X 40 the forgotten mag?

Love a bit of 4x40. I have a Tasco 4x40AG which has to be on its spiritual home - a .22 HW80.

Also have a gloss Hunter 4x40 which really looks the part. Wish Hawke did a 4x40 and 6x40 in their Vantage range.

ive a 4x40 tasco nice scope had it for years

I've got a very nice Tasco steel 4x44 I think it is
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Aaah the shrine of northern airgunning. Ive still got the original B & W photo they used in their adverts and anyone who ever visited their shop in Failsworth for the first time, after seeing their advert, could only admire the creativity of the photographer who used a fisheye lens (?) and worked for Granada T V studios.

ATB
    Ian
    My boss sent me to Manchester in 1986 to pick up a car, so whilst there I paid a visit to MAG, expecting the vast emporium as shown in the ads in AGW, I was somewhat disapointed to find a shop about the size of a kiosk at a railway station.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    About 40 years ago I had a BSA 4x20 and being an inquisitive teenager I had to pull it apart. I thought I would put my little finger down the tube which met a little resistance, and then a little click which was me putting my fingers through the cross hairs.
    I got the bus to Manchester Air Guns and bought an
    ASI 4X40wa (and a set of mounts + an arrestor block in a red and black plastic box) which I was chuffed to bits with.
    On my way home on the bus I opened the box up to look at my purchase when a lad behind me said "Wow, that looks like something off a sniper rifle".
    I'd forgotten about that until you started this thread Paul.
    I had the very same box on my ASI SuperScope (albeit the 4x32 model). First scope I bought with my HW77 from Trapshot.
    As I recall it had WA/PA/BDC printed on the box too, which I thought was just about as technical as it got
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

WTC 4x40

Well I could have cried the other day when my beloved 4x40 WTC threw a wobbly; both the occular and the first lens group have become detached from the tube.

However after a bit of research I ended up talking earlier to a chap called Paul Burke who may be able to repair it for me, so it's all parcelled up and I'm off to the Post Office tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good outcome!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    My boss sent me to Manchester in 1986 to pick up a car, so whilst there I paid a visit to MAG, expecting the vast emporium as shown in the ads in AGW, I was somewhat disapointed to find a shop about the size of a kiosk at a railway station.

I to got that impression when I first walked in hence my comments about the advert photo but boy, what a kiosk ! HWs, Original, BSFs, BSA, Webley etc. I had never seen half of the guns in the flesh before. Then there was the scopes, yes, including 4 x 40s , pellets, targets and a CHRONOGRAPH !
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I to got that impression when I first walked in hence my comments about the advert photo but boy, what a kiosk ! HWs, Original, BSFs, BSA, Webley etc. I had never seen half of the guns in the flesh before. Then there was the scopes, yes, including 4 x 40s , pellets, targets and a CHRONOGRAPH !
    And of course the Beeman R1, I seem to remember they were doing them at £110, when you could get a HW80 for about £74 from one of the mail order discount dealers.

Mind you, what I'd give for an R1 now.

And of course the Beeman R1, I seem to remember they were doing them at £110, when you could get a HW80 for about £74 from one of the mail order discount dealers.

They imported and sold a lot of Beeman products including his catalogues of which Ive a couple. For their reward both Alan and Graham received a tricked up Beeman FWB Sport which I own one of.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I’ve just received a Richter Optik 6 x 40 from our sponsor, to fit on my newly acquired Remington Express compact
    First impressions are quite favourable, the glass is very clear and it’s quite a fine reticle with 3 dots away from the centre on each of the cross hairs.
    It has coin slot adjustment on the turrets and they’re 1/4” ( not 1/4 MOA )

The dots are quite small, but I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet due to the miserable weather

Originally I thought the bay advert said it came with mounts but I must have got that wrong I do have some mounts but although I can put it on the gun, there’s less than 1mm distance between the scope and the gun and I can’t fit the front flip up so I’ve got some taller mounts on order.

The instructions, like a lot of Chinese made scopes are in ‘chinglish’, and quite funny to read , not as bad as some I’ve seen and ok if you’re used to mounting and using a scope but might be confusing for a novice, especially as these say the scope is 4 x 32

For just under £28 delivered they look like cracking value for money although I’ll reserve final judgement until after I’ve given them a proper test

Norm

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
    Well I could have cried the other day when my beloved 4x40 WTC threw a wobbly; both the occular and the first lens group have become detached from the tube.

However after a bit of research I ended up talking earlier to a chap called Paul Burke who may be able to repair it for me, so it's all parcelled up and I'm off to the Post Office tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good outcome!
    Hi, you won’t have a problem with Paul, over the years he has done many repairs for us on scopes from Khales, Swarovski to Nikko Sterling (Which he is a big fan of the older scopes) usually a quick turnaround and always good service.

HTH
    Mark
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    Hi, you won’t have a problem with Paul, over the years he has done many repairs for us on scopes from Khales, Swarovski to Nikko Sterling (Which he is a big fan of the older scopes) usually a quick turnaround and always good service.

HTH
    Mark
    Thanks!!
    Regards,
    Dave.

I liked the silver antler and Simmons white tail classic 4x40. I was disappointed when I upgraded to a 3-9x. I could never get the parallax right for airgun ranges.

I have an R1 in new condition in .177. I have no idea what its worth. Beautiful gun.

The bigger the mag, the better it is for hunting. You can kill the flea as well as the rabbit !