Thread: BSA A/S Mk 2 cocking lever pins.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA A/S Mk 2 cocking lever pins.

Can anyone assist plse.

Thought I’d spend the evening on a learning curve and strip my old MK2.

It looks ( by the crud and lack of witness marks anywhere as though it’s never been apart. First job I’m trying to remove the cocking leaver pins, the one on the trigger block is hollow, next one forward holding the linkage is solid.

I’m using a brass drift and 2-27 nylon hammer , neither will budge even slightly. The hollow pin left side ( tap lever side ) Trigger block has a thicker diameter than its opposite side , I’ve lubed with WD but no movement.

Am I right in saying they should knock out left to right ?

Both are absolutely solid but the lever works ok.

Any ideas please?

I’ve given them a good whack , I really don’t want to try a big hammer though.

Edit : Gun is a GD prefix if that’s meaningful at all ..

Thanks

As far as I can remember, Steve, they're just roll pins so should just knock out from either side.

Try drilling a hole in a block of hardwood to support the lever while you drive the roll pin into the hole.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    As far as I can remember, Steve, they're just roll pins so should just knock out from either side.

Try drilling a hole in a block of hardwood to support the lever while you drive the roll pin into the hole.

All the best Mick
    Thanks Mick,

I’ve got the lever on a wooden block but the damn things are rock solid .

Will lube them again and make a brew, see if that helps .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    Thanks Mick,

I’ve got the lever on a wooden block but the damn things are rock solid .

Will lube them again and make a brew, see if that helps .
    You could also try warming the alloy trigger housing up a little to expand the cocking lever hole a touch --- it could be that the roll pin is slightly corroded into the alloy.

You could also try using a vice to press them out with a nut on one side with a hole bigger than the roll pin, and a small bolt on the other side with a diameter smaller than the roll pin.

I've just smacked them out with a punch and lump hammer in the past.

Good luck.

All the best Mick

If they are that tight & really don't want to come out it it was me I'd be wondering if I really needed to get them out. Do they have to come out to repair something?

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    If they are that tight & really don't want to come out it it was me I'd be wondering if I really needed to get them out. Do they have to come out to repair something?
    Good point!

Lockdown boredom set in so I thought I’d try my hand so to speak..

Got the foreword pin out and the linkage, lots of rust in the lube but it’s out. The back one won’t budge, so I thought , hey leave that one and see if the trigger block will knock loose with my new nylon weapon. The cocking leaver still on it. In my haste I’ve managed to splay the cocking lever slightly where the trigger block sits. No movement on the block after a few good whacks , so I’ve downed tools in the cellar and retreated to the safety of the kitchen for a cold beer!

My plan was a relube and check the leather seal. It was shooting at 9 / 9.5 ft lb but felt very dry so.....

I’d like to learn a bit , but I think this nut will need cracking open by someone who’s knows what he’s doing .

Live and learn I suppose .

Maybe i should of gone for something a bit easier to cut my teeth on instead of something that’s age welded itself together.