Thread: 3-9x40, best scope ever?

3-9x40, best scope ever?

Following the threads on 4x32 and 4x40, is the 3-9x40, or nearabouts, the best all-around sub-12 scope?

On 3x it does rats. Well.

On 9x, it does anything out to 35+ metres.

Not too big, high, or heavy. Just right. Remember that in the early 80s it was considered brilliant for FT (as was Tasco 2-7x32) and almost overkill for vermin on springers.

My own preferences: older Leupold Vari-X2 and (not quite 3-9), 3.5-10x40 Vari-X3. And plenty of older Japanese stuff.

Yes, definately. Classic configuration and very versatile as you say. This and 2-7x32 take a lot of beating on an air rifle. Classic Japanese or modern Hawke Airmax for me. I really should have bought a Nikon when I had the chance though.
    Magnification ratings with a decimal point seem to be more in fashion now but I'll stay old skool.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    following the threads on 4x32 and 4x40, is the 3-9x40, or nearabouts, the best all-around sub-12 scope?
    yes

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I have to agree, most of the scopes I have are 3-9 x 40 and I find them pretty versatile, although I do have a 4-12 x 50 on my Prosport, only because it was a bargain and I can shoot the Prosport out a bit further than my other rifles, so the extra mag comes in handy but if I ever look out for a scope now, 3-9 x 40 is the size I automatically go for and there seems to be plenty about and a good price.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, covers everything...

Never felt 3x wasn't low enough, and never needed more than 9x
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The panorama 3-9x40 is perfect for my eyes .
    In fact I’m still on the look out for one...

3-9x40 does everything I need. Very often shoot on 7x which is the max on my other favourite 2-7x32. Older ones I have are Bushnell trophies which I really like due to their light weight and wide fov. New one I like is the Hawke Airmax with A/O. Nice wide fov, like the fine reticle and very clear. Just a bit heavier than the bushnell. Also have a non AO vantage which is very good for the money. I have a Nikon EFR which is nice but the narrow fov spoils it for me a bit.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Had a 3x9x40 Nikko Panamax wish I’d never sold it

Scopes

As has been said in other threads I've a feeling we mostly all started out on fixed mag scopes of some sort or another.
    I never really signed up to the fashion of old scopes for old springers (or should I more correctly say old classic guns). But nowadays I do try and match the gun age with a scope of similar age. The 3-9 was a classic configuration back in the day perhaps more so than it is nowadays. The Tascos certainly were all the scope you needed and not too bulky.
    As said above these days I'm also sold on the Hawke Airmax series like others are. The 2-7x32 is again all the scope you would need for hunting at airgun ranges. Sturdy, bright, good reticle and I've just about squeezed them into low mounts on my Diana's by virtue of the raised scope rail. Not sure if they would clear on ordinary dovetails. If so I'd use them there too on low mounts.
    Dave

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    3-9 mag covers airgun ranges perfectly and allows good enough definition to pick out pellet holes in a black target at 25 yds and close in vermin work with a great FoV.

40mm hits the sweet spot with a nice bright image without over-scoping the rifle with too much top heavy weight and it gives an athestically pleasing profile to boot IMHO.

4x32 and 4x40 have their places of course, but ultimately they are compromised by their very simplicity.
    I toyed with the idea of acquiring another after the recent threads (I'm obviously quite suggestible ) - but then came to my senses after remembering I've had them before quite a few times and sold them every time .

I used to favour the 3-9x50ao and had a few Tasco AG 3-9x50ao at the time also the Tasco Predator when JD was peddling them, They weren't quite the old Tasco but good enough Then bought the Hawke version which I found was way disappointing
    Then I bought my first 3-9x40AO and preferred it!! Smaller and easier to use but just as good optically!!!
    Only have two at the moment, the old Nikko Stirling Platinum gloss Ruby on my HW80KS and BAM B40
    They suit perfectly and work well!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I have several Nikon 3-9x40 efr pro staff scopes I love them on my springers.