Thread: Meteor mk2 .22

Meteor mk2 .22

From memory back to the time i had an f1 chrony it was doing 500 fps with defiant 5,56 14 grains from pax airguns.Is this about right? 7,7ft/lb? I dont know if its ready for a new spring/rebuit.What do you think? needed or about right?
    thanks for any input
    Kev.f
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it's a fraction low - should be around 1-2 FP more.. but if it shoots nice it wouldn't worry me at all.. in fact it will probably shoot nice at 7.7 anyways. I have a few, and the nicest shooting is around 8 FP.

BTW I think the defiants might be around 14.5grain ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I agree with Jon, if you are getting 8 ft lb or near fine. I have rebuilt dozens of Meteors and find they can be completely different in the power produced, depending on the tightness of the piston head (if its nylon and expanded) and seal O ring and of course the spring used.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 01-07-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Bought a mk5 of an old workmate,it sounded rough but was still producing 7ft/lbs.
    The mainspring came out in three sections,the rear wound into the centre section.
    There's one here with a sized vortec seal fitted,around 8ft/lbs with single figure velocity variation.
    The mk1 is usually a different story.......

OK,thanks for the replies. never really done much shooting with it.I suppose at the time it was a case of too many air rifles,not enough time.Now down to 2 rifles and one pistol.The defiants i have were the original "pax" one before H&N bought the tooling i guessed the weight although my scales shows a few at 14...and a few at 14.5...oh well. ;-)

meteor mk2

Well....just to let you know i found some results of chrony testing when i had one (F1) and results were supprising.I tested
    with wasp 5.56 at 14.5 grn and average was 550fps with a high of 565fps 10.26 ft/ibs .Impressive say for an air rifle from 1962. pleasantly surprised.
    kev.f
    Last edited by kev.f; 05-07-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo