Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milbro quality, or lack of quality

Milbro quality, or lack of quality

So, another old airgun was not wanted by its owner, and I kindly adopted it..
    Been looking for a Series 70 Milbro for a while now, and this one has not seen much wear.
    It has some surface rust and the sights have been subjected to some abuse, but the guns does not seem to have been shot much.
    But the barrel rattles around the pivot bolt
    I took the bolt out, and it is a very loose fit in the barrel, cant understand how I'm ever gonna et any accuracy out of this gun

Are they known for beeing this bad? I have some early Milbro made Dianas, and they seem to be a lot better made.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    they are not great, but yours seems extreme...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Seems like I have to make an oversize bolt

Maybe someone lost the original pivot bolt in the past & just put that one in ? Is the hole in breachblock worn?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Maybe someone lost the original pivot bolt in the past & just put that one in ? Is the hole in breachblock worn?
    The bolt looks original, and theres not much wear.
    I have a Voere branded gun thats vey similar, seems to be a Milbro rebrand. I changed the bolt between them, and both lock up tight now, seems like the bolt may be bent??

And then, when I had the action out of the stock, the forks on the "new to me" gun started turning in the cylinder.... and I
    screwed the forks completely out of the cylinder by hand !!!
    The threads between forks and cylinder are quite rusted and loose, I have NEVER had this happen before in an airgun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    And then, when I had the action out of the stock, the forks on the "new to me" gun started turning in the cylinder.... and I
    screwed the forks completely out of the cylinder by hand !!!
    The threads between forks and cylinder are quite rusted and loose, I have NEVER had this happen before in an airgun!!!
    wow, that's extreme..

clean it all up and fill it with loads of threadlock, should seal fine...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    wow, that's extreme..

clean it all up and fill it with loads of threadlock, should seal fine...
    Thats the plan, I'll be using the permanent stuff.
    On the bright side, this cylinder gives me the opportunity to do a proper honing job with the forks/end plug removed

Thats the plan, I'll be using the permanent stuff.
    On the bright side, this cylinder gives me the opportunity to do a proper honing job with the forks/end plug removed
    green loctite 680 or similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    green loctite 680 or similar...
    Yes, I have a bottle of some of the green stuff, dont remember the number.

This picture may give some of you a little thursday evening amusement

Your particular problems excepted, I'd like to make a reply in defence of Milbro by way of having been a keen user of them from a very early age and now have a strong belief that they had an important part to play in a lot of peoples lives in spite of their inadequacies. Basically I grew up in a an area surrounded by Military establishments and carrying of live firing weapons on the streets by both Cadets and enlisted men was an accepted norm for me. As a youngster born into a family with little or no money at all, whilst I saw all of these weapons and had a hankering for one of my own, most airguns were miles outside of my wildest dreams pricewise. Along came Milbro. Rubbish by today's standards but affordable for someone from my background. From the age of twelve or so onwards I had a Gat and a small Milbro air rifle for less than £3 all in (the sort of amount that it took my parents a year or more to save). I had endless fun with the pair. Carrying them around uncased and firing them in the street didn't raise much by way of an eyebrow then, and going to the local woods for target practice was an everyday pursuit. Obviously the manufacturer made them with profit in mind but they were available to those who had the option of a Milbro or nothing, and us as owners only judged our airguns by the simple process of loading our guns, pointing and shooting, with no real concerns for shot to shot consistency by way of accuracy or power. Milbro did the job well.

Great fun from days long since gone.

JMHO but Milbro can't be judged by todays standards because they weren't made for today, they were made for us
    erks who had a Milbro or nothing in the fifties.

Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    JMHO but Milbro can't be judged by todays standards because they weren't made for today, they were made for us

Vic Thompson.
    Sorry if my "bashing" came across snobbish, that was really not my intention.
    I actually enjoy the charm of the Milbros, even if they have their mechanical flaws.

And stories like yours is what airguns should be about, enjoying and using the guns you have!

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    Your particular problems excepted, I'd like to make a reply in defence of Milbro by way of having been a keen user of them from a very early age and now have a strong belief that they had an important part to play in a lot of peoples lives in spite of their inadequacies. Basically I grew up in a an area surrounded by Military establishments and carrying of live firing weapons on the streets by both Cadets and enlisted men was an accepted norm for me. As a youngster born into a family with little or no money at all, whilst I saw all of these weapons and had a hankering for one of my own, most airguns were miles outside of my wildest dreams pricewise. Along came Milbro. Rubbish by today's standards but affordable for someone from my background. From the age of twelve or so onwards I had a Gat and a small Milbro air rifle for less than £3 all in (the sort of amount that it took my parents a year or more to save). I had endless fun with the pair. Carrying them around uncased and firing them in the street didn't raise much by way of an eyebrow then, and going to the local woods for target practice was an everyday pursuit. Obviously the manufacturer made them with profit in mind but they were available to those who had the option of a Milbro or nothing, and us as owners only judged our airguns by the simple process of loading our guns, pointing and shooting, with no real concerns for shot to shot consistency by way of accuracy or power. Milbro did the job well.

Great fun from days long since gone.

Vic Thompson.
    Those would be the Diana type guns Vic. The 70s series were a bit poorly made in my opinion. They always seem to be very accurate so must have decent barrels, but the piston wears where the cocking arm pushes (so do quite a few guns) , the trigger units on some seem to rust the screws (but after 40 odd years I suppose you cannot really complain?) , the sights can be a bit crappy and those front stock screws with very little woodwork round them are not great
    The Milbro Cougar pistol is really flawed. It should have been a "Scottish Scorpion" but somehow ended up as something that weighed a ton, had crappy sights, a crappy trigger, Monkey metal trigger housing and the most brittle grips I;ve ever come across.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Those would be the Diana type guns Vic. The 70s series were a bit poorly made in my opinion. They always seem to be very accurate so must have decent barrels, but the piston wears where the cocking arm pushes (so do quite a few guns) , the trigger units on some seem to rust the screws (but after 40 odd years I suppose you cannot really complain?) , the sights can be a bit crappy and those front stock screws with very little woodwork round them are not great
    The Milbro Cougar pistol is really flawed. It should have been a "Scottish Scorpion" but somehow ended up as something that weighed a ton, had crappy sights, a crappy trigger, Monkey metal trigger housing and the most brittle grips I;ve ever come across.
    Exactly my experience too. I have a few 50's 60's Milbro Dianas, and they are really nice guns. Maybe not up to the standard of German Dianas, but they have really beautiful finish and work quite well despite their simple design.

But the 70's series guns are a different breed, as can bee seen with the gun that fell apart in my hands.
    I have fond memories of doing mischief with a wreck of a "Voere" Rebranded 70's series Milbro back in the early nienties, sp I really have a soft spot for them. But they are not the best airguns made.

Exactly my experience too. I have a few 50's 60's Milbro Dianas, and they are really nice guns. Maybe not up to the standard of German Dianas, but they have really beautiful finish and work quite well despite their simple design.

But the 70's series guns are a different breed, as can bee seen with the gun that fell apart in my hands.
    I have fond memories of doing mischief with a wreck of a "Voere" Rebranded 70's series Milbro back in the early nienties, sp I really have a soft spot for them. But they are not the best airguns made.
    If you can get your hands on a decent milbro G80 they are quite nice with a tune & a little fettling of the trigger( spacer washers to remove side play & a bit honing of the rough surfaces) Even had good open sights too!

Millard brothers took the name and basic designs from m and g as part of reparations from Germany post world war two.
    As said definitely built to a price but no less fun for us.