Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it a fire-arm that I bought from a toy shop at age 9?

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Was it a fire-arm that I bought from a toy shop at age 9?

Here's one for the gold-platers of rules, or just for a laugh.

It was a functioning revolver IIRC, the six cartridges had a spud-gun nozzle at the front and the propellant was a reel of caps; as in toy cap gun.

I remember it didn't work very well and so I returned it to the corner shop where I'd bought it - what a mistake that was! Poor sods, I returned half of the stuff I bought from there.

Does anyone remember that toy, does anyone still have one (and will they sell it to me..) and would it get me jail time if I was found with it?
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I had one of those - you're right they were not very good. Might be difficult to prosecute under S5 though but IIRC there is no energy threshold so perhaps......
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Here's one for the gold-platers of rules, or just for a laugh.

It was a functioning revolver IIRC, the six cartridges had a spud-gun nozzle at the front and the propellant was a reel of caps; as in toy cap gun.

I remember it didn't work very well and so I returned it to the corner shop where I'd bought it - what a mistake that was! Poor sods, I returned half of the stuff I bought from there.

Does anyone remember that toy, does anyone still have one (and will they sell it to me..) and would it get me jail time if I was found with it?
    There used to be ones that used the ring of caps and plastic bullets too.

the ones I remember were a black gun where as this one is pink http://sixthseal.com/tag/pop-cap-gun-toys/
    Last edited by bighit; 02-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    I remember the 'cap rings' they were louder than cap reels and were for the grown-up children who had more pocket money. I remember that toy I had was better built than the one you pictured (God that was fast - well done!) and it would have worked with that extra bit of oomph from the rings (12 shots IIRC).
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Have a look at this.. I had similar when I was a kid.. EEEBAYY 153982719828
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Yep remember them both the paper cap type and also the ring cap ones I remember trying to put two paper caps in to make it more powerfull and I remember getting one took off me after sucking down sweats so they fit into the tube I remember one kid throwing stones at me a my mates I fired it at him "right in the eye" smack then the brown stuff hit the fan as he went off crying his mother straight round mine shouting at me his mother giving him a clip for throwing stones -then my tatty gun chucked into the coal fire oh well---can I have a catapult or can I make one I believe were my words before being sent to bed early

Had one

Yeah I think I had one of those myself when I was a kid along with a rake of spud guns most of which were never much good but I distinctly remember one of them was ok I used to shoot my brother on the back of the legs when the wearing of short pants was all the rage so around 74/75 and I know it was quite good as he used to yelp when the spuds hit and stung I had what I think was a Daisy type of winchester rifle that used to make a very loud bang when cocked and fired think I must have been about 8 or 9 when I had that. Christmas 1975 as one of my presents I received a blue plastic machine gun with rotating plastic gold bullet belt it would make a firing sound when you pulled the trigger and the belt would feed around through it. It had a fold down tripod under the barrel and the butt was plastic but had that wood look I think it was made by Palitoy or some such but have never seen one since.

I came across this about twenty years ago and couldn't resist buying it it was in a box with some other old toys on a car boot I think I paid from memory £2.00 for it. The main reason I bought it apart from being a big kid and liking old toy guns is that I'm sure I had one when I was still in short pants and I'm pretty sure it used to fire small round plastic red discs that you either put in the side of it or they came out the side. It has a removable clip from under the handle but looking at it it looks like it fires caps it was initially seized up inside when I bought it but I oiled it all up and freed it off and now it works perfectly. It says on the side "made by Edison in Italy Giooattelli" ring any bells with anyone?

I remember as a kid waking round with a big King Edwards hanging off my snake belt next to my Bowie knife.

Yes, King Edwards back in the day, but these days Marris Piper would be much less hold-sensitive.

If I'd gone round in short pants I'd have been arrested. For us it was short trousers!

My spud gun proved to me that I could run faster than the girls. The race usually occurred after a 'very short range vertical shot'.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    Yeah I think I had one of those myself when I was a kid along with a rake of spud guns most of which were never much good but I distinctly remember one of them was ok I used to shoot my brother on the back of the legs when the wearing of short pants was all the rage so around 74/75 and I know it was quite good as he used to yelp when the spuds hit and stung I had what I think was a Daisy type of winchester rifle that used to make a very loud bang when cocked and fired think I must have been about 8 or 9 when I had that. Christmas 1975 as one of my presents I received a blue plastic machine gun with rotating plastic gold bullet belt it would make a firing sound when you pulled the trigger and the belt would feed around through it. It had a fold down tripod under the barrel and the butt was plastic but had that wood look I think it was made by Palitoy or some such but have never seen one since.

I came across this about twenty years ago and couldn't resist buying it it was in a box with some other old toys on a car boot I think I paid from memory £2.00 for it. The main reason I bought it apart from being a big kid and liking old toy guns is that I'm sure I had one when I was still in short pants and I'm pretty sure it used to fire small round plastic red discs that you either put in the side of it or they came out the side. It has a removable clip from under the handle but looking at it it looks like it fires caps it was initially seized up inside when I bought it but I oiled it all up and freed it off and now it works perfectly. It says on the side "made by Edison in Italy Giooattelli" ring any bells with anyone?

]

http://www.edisongiocattoli.it/eng/about-us.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    I used to shoot my brother on the back of the legs when the wearing of short pants was all the rage so around 74/75 and I know it was quite good as he used to yelp when the spuds hit and stung ]
    I take it 74/75 Is the year, not the range?
    Where be your gibes now? Your songs? Your gambols? Miserable bugger!

I had a luger lookalike cap gun, would have been early 70's, but I don't remember wood or wood colour grips.

Yep the year I'd have been around 8 and my kid brother 6.

Thanks for finding it and putting that up much appreciated and I found the pistol in their catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I had a luger lookalike cap gun, would have been early 70's, but I don't remember wood or wood colour grips.
    I found a real Luger stuffed/hidden down the back seat of a bus coming back from Oldham town centre after being out shopping with mum I'd have probably been around 8 or 9 I'm saying mum mum look what I found as I'm waving it about mum took one look and took it off me and wouldn't let me have it back. Later on that night when dad came home from work she showed it him and his jaw nearly hit the floor I remember him saying "You FOUND this ... on the BUS I never saw it again not exactly sure what he did with it but I reckon he sold it and it was a good job I didn't try pulling the trigger as it turned out it was loaded, true story that.