Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.6mm enlargement tool ?

5.6mm enlargement tool ?

All this talk about 5.6mm and it’s suitability, is it not possible to just make a domed prod that when pushed into the skirt of smaller pellets it enlarges the skirt spread a little ?

We’re only talking 0.1 mm and I think I’m right in saying the size of pellets is measure on the skirt not the head.

Hours of endless fun with your pellets in a miniature rack happily prodding away with your 5.6mm tool.

A re sizing pencil tool of sorts , even if you went slight over the barrel would reduce it back.

Daft idea ?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Whilst that might possibly increase power (but potentially the blast of high pressure may do the same?)
    I would have expect it would do nothing for accuracy as that will depend on the head size.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Whilst that might possibly increase power (but potentially the blast of high pressure may do the same?)
    I would have expect it would do nothing for accuracy as that will depend on the head size.
    Accuracy? Steve is not worried about accuracy Harvey. As long as he can hit a grapefuit or a bunch of Albany Surprise at 15 metres, he is a happy chappie

BSA used to make and sellthem for use with the Airsporter S. It works. 2 thin steel discs, a short, thick wall tube with tapered hole and a ball bearing. Place the tube on top of one of the discs. Drop pellet in nose fist. Drop ball bearing in skirt and push bearing down with the second disc until it comes to rest on top of the tube. Length of tube and sizes of taper determine the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Accuracy? Steve is not worried about accuracy Harvey. As long as he can hit a grapefuit or a bunch of Albany Surprise at 15 metres, he is a happy chappie
    My days of single grape shooting with my club are on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    BSA used to make and sellthem for use with the Airsporter S. It works. 2 thin steel discs, a short, thick wall tube with tapered hole and a ball bearing. Place the tube on top of one of the discs. Drop pellet in nose fist. Drop ball bearing in skirt and push bearing down with the second disc until it comes to rest on top of the tube. Length of tube and sizes of taper determine the end result.
    Have you got a picture of one please?

You could possibly use a cheap brake pipe flaring tool to do the job.
    The flaring tool itself is tapered at approx a suitable angle and then the clamp part could be adjusted to suit.
    I don't have mine to hand but having used one many times I can see how this would easily work well if you got the clamp part right and they cost less than £10.
    They also have die's which could be used but I can't think of these would be usable or you could make a for if needed.

https://images.app.goo.gl/dKwzxiWtUxEsZjpf8

Johnj
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

“ HM HEN pellet mould “

On YouTube turning out some amazing looking thick skirted pellets.

20 at a time.

I’d attach the video if I knew how.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    “ HM HEN pellet mould “

On YouTube turning out some amazing looking thick skirted pellets.

20 at a time.

I’d attach the video if I knew how.
    I can understand making your own pellets like that if it was one of those large bore high power rifles but it's a long old process if you want to have a good plinking session

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I can understand making your own pellets like that if it was one of those large bore high power rifles but it's a long old process if you want to have a good plinking session

Pete
    Grape shooting ..

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    I was given one of these many years ago, this one has two 1.5mm thick discs, 2 very thin shim discs, knurled thick walled tapered tube, ball bearing and plunger, can't be many of these still complete ?
    Hw77+7

“ HM HEN pellet mould “ On YouTube turning out some amazing looking thick skirted pellets. 20 at a time. I’d attach the video if I knew how.
    Is this the one Steve?
    Turn the volume off, the background music is crud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnmkWWs6eOQ

5.6mm enlargement tool ?

All this talk about 5.6mm and it’s suitability, is it not possible to just make a domed prod that when pushed into the skirt of smaller pellets it enlarges the skirt spread a little ?

We’re only talking 0.1 mm and I think I’m right in saying the size of pellets is measure on the skirt not the head.

Hours of endless fun with your pellets in a miniature rack happily prodding away with your 5.6mm tool.

A re sizing pencil tool of sorts , even if you went slight over the barrel would reduce it back.

Daft idea ?
    You need a TR Robb sizer, speak to terry about what you want, his adjustabe sizers are very clever & have a taper bore allowing you to fine tune the pellets to your bore & unlike other sizers leave the heads a little smaller than the bore just like pellets come from the tin, I had one in .25 cal for bsa barrels when i had a .25 mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    You need a TR Robb sizer, speak to terry about what you want, his adjustabe sizers are very clever & have a taper bore allowing you to fine tune the pellets to your bore & unlike other sizers leave the heads a little smaller than the bore just like pellets come from the tin, I had one in .25 cal for bsa barrels when i had a .25 mercury.
    This interested me, but reading about it seems to only size pellets by making them smaller.
    Although it mentions making them smaller or larger on the website, this is only in relation to the degree of 'smallness'.
    At least, that what others are saying about them...

5.6mm enlargement tool ?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    This interested me, but reading about it seems to only size pellets by making them smaller.
    Although it mentions making them smaller or larger on the website, this is only in relation to the degree of 'smallness'.
    At least, that what others are saying about them...
    I made a mistake saying it makes the heads smaller than the bore i meant smaller than the skirt btw, they are different from normal sizers in that you dont push the pellet through just in far enough to size it correctly then back out the same way. so if you ask terry to make the bore 5.6 & pushed the pellet in to the stop it would enlarge it, he'd have to make it to order like the .25 or .20 cal ones though. They are worth every penny btw, i only sold mine as i knew i wouldn't be buying anymore .25 cal rifles & it was to suit the bsa .25 cal barrels.