Thread: 3-9x40 Leapers or Hawke

Question 3-9x40 Leapers or Hawke

Hello,
    So I had bought a BSA 4x32 scope a while ago, for my 16 joule springer, and it works very well. I tried placing it in my 24 joule springer but it doesn't hold zero at all, so I need to buy a new scope I guess.

After asking my local airgun store, they recommended the "LEAPERS UTG 3-9X40 MIL DOT TF2+" and said that it was the only scope that they had in stock that could hold zero in a rifle with that much power. I asked them why couldn't I use a Hawke Vantage, and they said that it might not hold zero for very long in a spring rifle with that much power.

Does anyone have any experience with this scopes? Should I ignore the store and just go for the Hawke or buy the Leapers?

Thanks in advance.

*I'm referring to the Hawke Vantage only, I know they make the AirMax version but it's just out of my budget.

The Leapers do seem to be tough little scopes and good for airgun distances.

Quote Originally Posted by hack3rpt View Post
    Hello,
    So I had bought a BSA 4x32 scope a while ago, for my 16 joule springer, and it works very well. I tried placing it in my 24 joule springer but it doesn't hold zero at all, so I need to buy a new scope I guess.

After asking my local airgun store, they recommended the "LEAPERS UTG 3-9X40 MIL DOT TF2+" and said that it was the only scope that they had in stock that could hold zero in a rifle with that much power. I asked them why couldn't I use a Hawke Vantage, and they said that it might not hold zero for very long in a spring rifle with that much power.

Does anyone have any experience with this scopes? Should I ignore the store and just go for the Hawke or buy the Leapers?

Thanks in advance.

*I'm referring to the Hawke Vantage only, I know they make the AirMax version but it's just out of my budget.

Cant comment on a hawk as do not own one, but the leapers swat scope i owned a few years ago had shorter eye relief than my other scopes and i could not get on with it so sold it on. Try before you buy.

Might be worth investing in a dampa mount before buying a new scope.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Might be worth investing in a dampa mount before buying a new scope.
    Yes a damper mount for fac. I have mate with a 22ftlb hw80 who does not use a damper mount but he did buy a more expensive scope to go on it though

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Yes a damper mount for fac. I have mate with a 22ftlb hw80 who does not use a damper mount but he did buy a more expensive scope to go on it though
    The main problem is the budget, I'm not in the best monetary conditions right now and all I can afford is really the scope... I think it will hold up great, I also saw another reviews with air rifles with the same power as mine and they say it held up really well. Might buy it later if I feel the need for it. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: I misunderstood it at first, tought you were saying to buy it along with the scope... I contacted the store and they told me that the BSA scope doesn't hold up in a 24 joule rifle, so my only choice is buying a new one.

Ihad the leapers utg 3x12x44 a very robust scope, the glass was very good but the ret was a bit thick so i moved it on, it wasn't etched i think it was a bit of band.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Ihad the leapers utg 3x12x44 a very robust scope, the glass was very good but the ret was a bit thick so i moved it on, it wasn't etched i think it was a bit of band.
    I found the eye relief on thst scope to short for me anyway.