Thread: GTS break barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting to come together nicely mate

Funds put aside ready

Exciting stuff, I do love a nice break barrel and this looks like it's going to be a cracker. Good luck Dan, I can't wait to see this all sorted.

Looking good, Danski.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Update

This week's update.
    Finished the first test assembly this week. Unfortunately the cocking linkage gave some unexpected grief, mainly due to the slightly odd way it's cocked. But reverted to plan B which seemed to fix it in the short term (always have a plan B!)

Then had a few shots to test the trigger. No complications there which was nice. Managed about 20 shots before one of the pins in the cocking linkage gave up (I don't think my fleabay 'hardened' steel pins are very hard at all).

Only run it at very low power (about 3 ft-lb at a guess). So no feedback on the recoil just yet. Will order some spares and rebuild next week, then start upping the power slowly.

Looking good! Its really coming together now,
    It's nice to see the progress you're making
    Martin

Another week, another update.
    Been having some quality family time this weekend so not managed much progress, and still having some teething issues with the cocking linkage. But managed to get some quick video of the rifle shooting with and without the recoilless system active.

'Without recoilless system' has a 220g piston
    'With recoilling system' has roughly 440g effective piston weight

Apologies for the video quality. Will try to get some better footage when I can.
    Also the piston mass has not been balanced yet so there is a bit of movement still. This will be sorted.

CLICKY LINKY

Likewise Dan, this is very interesting for us that are interested in the subject
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Keep em coming Dan, good to see how things are progressing.

It's that time of the week again!
    So this weekend I was going to start opening up the T.P but I changed my mind. Instead I decided to use this quite inefficient version of the action to develop the counterweight buffer a bit. This is one of the most important parts of the whole action. Get it wrong and it would result in damage to the gears and racks.

The thinking was this: currently there is enough spring in the action to provide about 27.7 ft-lb of energy to the piston. I'm hoping the action will end up being maybe 35% efficient, which would give 9.7 ft-lb with this spring. However it's only actually about 18% efficient (5 ft-lb) because it's being throttled by a small T.P. this means there is a lot more energy ending up in the buffer then there should be. Perfect time to make sure it works!

Long story short, the buffer is now working well and using a BSA breech seal. The end intention is to have the buffer and breech seal be the same part number to simplify spares, and it's looking like that's going to work out quite well (although there is still lots of testing to do).

I also had a bit of fun with my new phone camera which records in slow motion. Made up a sling to suspend rifles in and allow them to move freely. Check the link to see the video. It's not a serious test as there was too much wind and the triggers were all set differently, so just a bit of fun. First is a short stroke MK3 TX in a walnut stock. Second is my HFT TX in target stock and MK2 piston. Third is the bare action break barrel.

New video
    Last edited by cooper_dan; 09-08-2020 at 05:55 PM.

If you have an old fashioned cable release and don’t mind drilling a trigger guard it will solve that .

Interesting seeing it progress