Thread: GTS break barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Rough outline of timeplan:
    - July/August/September develop the recoilless system on these first prototypes and work out stroke/tp dimensions
    -october onwards start shooting with prototype 2.0 which will have my trigger and barrel block on.
    -shoot HFT winter series. Got a few HFT shooters in mind to spend some time and give me feedback. I want to make sure there are no weird shooting characteristics from different positions (kneeling/standing/prone etc).
    - assuming all goes well, raise some funds to make the first batch round about April 2021

I'm planning to fund the first 10 or 20 actions myself. Then when people order one, take a small deposit to put towards the stock. This way people can physically see their action before parting with any money, but I also won't end up with the wrong number of right/left handed stocks.
    Sounds all very interesting, I look forward to seeing one finished, good luck with your venture.

Break Barrel

Good on ya for taking the bull by the horns. So to speak. I wish you all the best with this. It will make a nice change from folks saying, I wish AA would make a new break barrel, which to be honest is wearing abit thin now. Mach 1.5

This looks jolly exciting.

I know it took John Whiscombe a decade to bring his rifle to market, it’s remarkable how fast the world can work these days.

All the best with the project, loving the regular updates.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    This looks jolly exciting.

I know it took John Whiscombe a decade to bring his rifle to market, it’s remarkable how fast the world can work these days.

All the best with the project, loving the regular updates.

Richard
    I'm approaching 2.5 years on this to date. Although a lot of that was ticking over for various reasons. Hoping to have the production intent prototype done by the end of this year.
    However the jump from production intent to actual production is the most difficult one!

Managed to get a few hours on the break barrel today.
    New cocking linkage is working well. Maybe 200 shots in total today and no real issues. Got a bit of metal to metal contact during cocking, will investigate that tomorrow.

Was playing around with single piston (recoiling mode) and efficiency is now up to 31% with a 10 inch .177 barrel. Still a bit more to do but it's getting there.
    Added the recoilless piston back in but by this time I was being summoned back indoors. Had a couple of shots and it felt goooood. The tiniest little movement, but the weights still aren't balanced.
    Will try to get back out tonight to chrono in recoilless mode.

Motivation has been boosted by those couple of (almost) recoilless shots.

Managed to get a few hours on the break barrel today.
    New cocking linkage is working well. Maybe 200 shots in total today and no real issues. Got a bit of metal to metal contact during cocking, will investigate that tomorrow.

Was playing around with single piston (recoiling mode) and efficiency is now up to 31% with a 10 inch .177 barrel. Still a bit more to do but it's getting there.
    Added the recoilless piston back in but by this time I was being summoned back indoors. Had a couple of shots and it felt goooood. The tiniest little movement, but the weights still aren't balanced.
    Will try to get back out tonight to chrono in recoilless mode.

Motivation has been boosted by those couple of (almost) recoilless shots.
    Very exciting mate, always enjoy your updates!

It rare such an insight into the creation of a new rifle is given, and the maker in me loves reading through your posts.

Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    Very exciting mate, always enjoy your updates!

It rare such an insight into the creation of a new rifle is given, and the maker in me loves reading through your posts.

Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming
    The efficiency increase was from increasing piston weight from 200g to 252g (in 9 steps of 5.8g each). Because its 28mm piston I'm guessing peak efficiency will be somewhere between 280-320g.
    Then I need to do it all again for different TP sizes.
    Then I need to do it all again for different calibres.

The efficiency increase was from increasing piston weight from 200g to 252g (in 9 steps of 5.8g each). Because its 28mm piston I'm guessing peak efficiency will be somewhere between 280-320g.
    Good job you enjoy tinkering with it, got your work cut out

Im sure I don’t need to tell you this but all this effort you’re putting in now will pay dividends in the end! And everything we’ve spoke about so far also tells me that when you land this it will be a very special piece of kit.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

275-280g would have the same sort of sectional density as the 25mm HW77 and TX200, Dan.

Very little movement, looks impressive!

Thanks for the kind comments.
    I'm desperate to get the new and improved V2 finished so people can try it. Maybe a 2023 boinger bash if all goes well!

Cracking stuff Dan

Time for an update!
    Recoilless break barrel V2 has been put together. Currently shooting under 6 ft-lb and in a temporary 3D printed stock. Next step is to strip it all down and inspect all the parts. Then rebuild it, sort out the weird vibration, and start power development.

Will look in at the video later (don't want to wake anyone up!).

Did you make the stock, Dan?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Did you make the stock, Dan?
    Yes, 3D printed in multiple pieces. It's not very good but as long as it roughly holds things in place it will do for now!