Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTS break barrel

GTS break barrel

A few unexpected delays, but the pistons and main cylinders were shipped today! So at some point next week the build will start.
    The plan is to build one up as a recoilling version to start with, just to check it's all sealing as it should, and the trigger is safe. Then I'll build the second up as a full fat recoilless version.

Whilst I've been waiting for these parts, I've been costing up a production version. Tentatively looking around £900. It initially seems a lot for a springer, but it will be low production, hand built, and completely recoilless. In this world of £2000+ mass produced PCP's, maybe £900 isn't so bad

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    A few unexpected delays, but the pistons and main cylinders were shipped today! So at some point next week the build will start.
    The plan is to build one up as a recoilling version to start with, just to check it's all sealing as it should, and the trigger is safe. Then I'll build the second up as a full fat recoilless version.

Whilst I've been waiting for these parts, I've been costing up a production version. Tentatively looking around £900. It initially seems a lot for a springer, but it will be low production, hand built, and completely recoilless. In this world of £2000+ mass produced PCP's, maybe £900 isn't so bad
    cool looking forward to seeing this Dan , Does the pirce inc a stock?
    BSA SUPERSPORT V-mach .22
    RAW hm1000x 177
    Steyr challenge hft 177 SYWELL FT CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by john79 View Post
    cool looking forward to seeing this Dan , Does the pirce inc a stock?
    Yes that's the plan. That's for a non adjustable sporter style stock.
    Would be looking at around £700 for the rifle without a stock.

Following with much interest 😁
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Yes that's the plan. That's for a non adjustable sporter style stock.
    Would be looking at around £700 for the rifle without a stock.
    Really looking forward to these Dan, hopefully I’ll be a taker for one without a stock
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Can't see this being anything other than very special and looking forward to further news.

Affording one, certainly in the shorter term, could be a different matter, though.

Best of luck with this project, Dan.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I can't wait to see the result....Any advances or refinements in the world of springers has got to be applauded.
    All the very best in the coming weeks in the build and fine fettling during your commissioning period.
    Cheers Steve

Out of interest, would you use an off the shelf trigger unit ? HW or AA ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

This is building nicely! Heh! Big birthday year too

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I can't wait to see the result....Any advances or refinements in the world of springers has got to be applauded.
    All the very best in the coming weeks in the build and fine fettling during your commissioning period.
    Cheers Steve
    Unfortunately any advances are usually small scale and the preserve of enthusiasts. This one probably included.
    A recoilless springer that could be sold for £400 would be something else! Maybe I'll have a word with the people at Hatsan

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Out of interest, would you use an off the shelf trigger unit ? HW or AA ?
    The prototypes are using AA triggers, with a modified top sear. Purely because I wanted to develop the recoilless mechanism first, rather than try to do everything at once.
    I've already designed the production intent trigger though. It was based on the Diana 66/75 to start with, but as you look at other manufacturers you can see how ideas are borrowed/developed. To me the Anschutz match triggers (9003/9015) look a lot like developed versions of the Rapid Mk4 trigger. Which looks like a cassette version of a Diana 75.
    Mine is another version of this layout. It currently has 1st and 2nd stage travel, over travel, and trigger weight adjustments and the safety is reset-able. Also, if the rifle is not cocked, manually setting the safety will set the trigger, so it can be dry fired (for helping setup trigger, or trigger practice).
    I need to be careful with the leverage ratios because this will be holding back a lot of spring, but it shouldn't be far off an old Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Can't see this being anything other than very special and looking forward to further news.

Affording one, certainly in the shorter term, could be a different matter, though.

Best of luck with this project, Dan.
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    This is building nicely! Heh! Big birthday year too
    Thanks. If other people can get excited about this project, that might help with motivation during the less smooth times

I'm excited!!

Not a springer fan,but this looks really exciting.people will pay that money if the quality and performance is right.good luck and keep us posted.

Springer

Dan, I think there is a place for a top end springer and if right and built with quality etc, price will be secondary, look at the likes of whiscombe etc. I know not a springer, but look at the quality of Shauns ISP Spartan, all ways a waiting list for quality. I am looking forward to seeing the end result. What timescale have you put on a full working prototype. ?

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    Dan, I think there is a place for a top end springer and if right and built with quality etc, price will be secondary, look at the likes of whiscombe etc. I know not a springer, but look at the quality of Shauns ISP Spartan, all ways a waiting list for quality. I am looking forward to seeing the end result. What timescale have you put on a full working prototype. ?
    Rough outline of timeplan:
    - July/August/September develop the recoilless system on these first prototypes and work out stroke/tp dimensions
    -october onwards start shooting with prototype 2.0 which will have my trigger and barrel block on.
    -shoot HFT winter series. Got a few HFT shooters in mind to spend some time and give me feedback. I want to make sure there are no weird shooting characteristics from different positions (kneeling/standing/prone etc).
    - assuming all goes well, raise some funds to make the first batch round about April 2021

I'm planning to fund the first 10 or 20 actions myself. Then when people order one, take a small deposit to put towards the stock. This way people can physically see their action before parting with any money, but I also won't end up with the wrong number of right/left handed stocks.

Rough outline of timeplan:
    - July/August/September develop the recoilless system on these first prototypes and work out stroke/tp dimensions
    -october onwards start shooting with prototype 2.0 which will have my trigger and barrel block on.
    -shoot HFT winter series. Got a few HFT shooters in mind to spend some time and give me feedback. I want to make sure there are no weird shooting characteristics from different positions (kneeling/standing/prone etc).
    - assuming all goes well, raise some funds to make the first batch round about April 2021

I'm planning to fund the first 10 or 20 actions myself. Then when people order one, take a small deposit to put towards the stock. This way people can physically see their action before parting with any money, but I also won't end up with the wrong number of right/left handed stocks.
    Sounds all very interesting, I look forward to seeing one finished, good luck with your venture.