Thread: GTS break barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Just the recoilless version I think. It's designed for a large diameter piston and short stroke, so the recoilling version would be compromised from the start.
    Cheers for the swift response.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I like the bronze bearings on the idler gears, way to go to reduce drag imo, can run them practically dry. If I understand the system you are using well, they will only be loaded in the stationary position.
    Good luck with your endeavours👍

Having recently got my first recoiless rifle(Original 75)which has peaked my interest in this subject, like others i'm following with interest

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I like the bronze bearings on the idler gears, way to go to reduce drag imo, can run them practically dry. If I understand the system you are using well, they will only be loaded in the stationary position.
    Good luck with your endeavours👍
    The bearings weren't strictly necessary, the gears would have run just fine on hardened steel pins. But if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right! One of the nice things is that when you press fit this type of bearing, the hole actually closes up a little bit. So I had the pin through the hole when I press fit them. This closes the bearing up on the pin and and makes it a bit stiff to start with, but then they bed in to a perfect fit. They spin very freely with no play now, sometimes I just sit here spinning them
    The highest load will actually be at the start of piston bounce. However the mass of the moving parts means this load shouldn't be too high. I will probably try it with just one gear at some point, see how it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Having recently got my first recoiless rifle(Original 75)which has peaked my interest in this subject, like others i'm following with interest
    Thanks. The Diana recoilless rifles were obviously a big influence on this project, in particular the mod 60. Initially I had just planned on having a sporter/thumhole style stock made for my mod 60 or 66. But then I got a bit carried away....

Got a bit done this weekend. Most important thing was posting the trigger blocks back to the machinist to be re-worked . But these things happen, especially at this stage.
    So no assembly or test firing just yet!

Instead I got on with some electroplating. Plated the breech jaws, gear racks and chassis brackets. All nickel, except the breech jaws which were bright nickel, with black nickel on top. I didn't worry about polishing the parts up to get a really nice finish, as these are probably going to have a hard life, and will definitely get scratched or modified at some point. So just went with a bead blasted finish. I'll need to take a better photo in natural light, but black nickel on bead blasted steel has come out quite a nice satin gunmetal grey colour. I quite like it.

Also 3D printed a little jig to hold the piston latch rod and gear rack in alignment whilst they are bonded to the piston. The latch rod will get loctite, and the gear rack will get a 2 part epoxy. The piston has been designed so that the gear rack is always acting on a shoulder when fired. The only time they will be in shear is during cocking, which is low load.
    The picture was just for show, I will assembly the piston this week once I've cut the latch rod extension to the correct size.

BUILD AND DEVELOPMENT IMAGES

I've only just found this thread after friends pointed it out on our whattsap group. This may have been mentioned in an earlier thread about this project, but what is the rifle going to be for? Like a Diana airking for targets, or a hunter/sporter type? If it's the latter I will definitely be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    I've only just found this thread after friends pointed it out on our whattsap group. This may have been mentioned in an earlier thread about this project, but what is the rifle going to be for? Like a Diana airking for targets, or a hunter/sporter type? If it's the latter I will definitely be interested.
    For the first version I am aiming to match the size and weight of a Walther LGV or TX200HC. So on the heavier side of sporting, but definitely lighter than an airking.
    I have some modifications planned that will bring the weight down to about the same as a HW80, but that is a way off yet.

I don't want it to be a benchrest only type rifle. I want people to be able to take it out in the fields all day.