Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GTS break barrel

Break Barrel

Good on ya for taking the bull by the horns. So to speak. I wish you all the best with this. It will make a nice change from folks saying, I wish AA would make a new break barrel, which to be honest is wearing abit thin now. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Thanks. If other people can get excited about this project, that might help with motivation during the less smooth times
    Rough outline of timeplan:
    - July/August/September develop the recoilless system on these first prototypes and work out stroke/tp dimensions
    -october onwards start shooting with prototype 2.0 which will have my trigger and barrel block on.
    -shoot HFT winter series. Got a few HFT shooters in mind to spend some time and give me feedback. I want to make sure there are no weird shooting characteristics from different positions (kneeling/standing/prone etc).
    - assuming all goes well, raise some funds to make the first batch round about April 2021

I'm planning to fund the first 10 or 20 actions myself. Then when people order one, take a small deposit to put towards the stock. This way people can physically see their action before parting with any money, but I also won't end up with the wrong number of right/left handed stocks.
    Excited is an understatement and I am very much looking forward to seeing how this project develops, Dan.

And a very responsible and thorough development programme you have there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Very interested in this project too 😎

Sounds great, following with interest. Very best of luck with it all, Dan.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I've made an album that I'll put photos in as I go through build and development. Just a few in there at the moment showing some of the important parts I've got ready.
    Should be adding more this week when I get this delivery
    If you click on each photo, there should be some brief descriptions. Feel free to ask for more detailed descriptions though.

BUILD AND DEVELOPMENT IMAGES

Parts arrived today! Got a lot of cleaning/finishing/plating to do before it's ready to be built up, and unfortunately the day job is very busy

I've started adding some more images to the folder I posted above. Should add loads this weekend too.

Following this with great interest,
    Hope the build goes as smoothly as it can!
    Good luck with mate, Martin

Is it just the recoiless version you are intending to market or could there be recoiling version too?
    Cheers
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Moss74 View Post
    Following this with great interest,
    Hope the build goes as smoothly as it can!
    Good luck with mate, Martin
    I wish it were smoother already. The bits I ordered from UK, one lot were late and then they sent me someone else's parts. Another place have machined some parts wrong which will have to go back.

Luckily the parts I got from China were perfectly made, arrived earlier than expected, and were 1/2 the price, even with import tax and air freight added on

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Is it just the recoiless version you are intending to market or could there be recoiling version too?
    Cheers
    Just the recoilless version I think. It's designed for a large diameter piston and short stroke, so the recoilling version would be compromised from the start.

Just the recoilless version I think. It's designed for a large diameter piston and short stroke, so the recoilling version would be compromised from the start.
    Cheers for the swift response.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I like the bronze bearings on the idler gears, way to go to reduce drag imo, can run them practically dry. If I understand the system you are using well, they will only be loaded in the stationary position.
    Good luck with your endeavours👍

Having recently got my first recoiless rifle(Original 75)which has peaked my interest in this subject, like others i'm following with interest

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I like the bronze bearings on the idler gears, way to go to reduce drag imo, can run them practically dry. If I understand the system you are using well, they will only be loaded in the stationary position.
    Good luck with your endeavours👍
    The bearings weren't strictly necessary, the gears would have run just fine on hardened steel pins. But if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right! One of the nice things is that when you press fit this type of bearing, the hole actually closes up a little bit. So I had the pin through the hole when I press fit them. This closes the bearing up on the pin and and makes it a bit stiff to start with, but then they bed in to a perfect fit. They spin very freely with no play now, sometimes I just sit here spinning them
    The highest load will actually be at the start of piston bounce. However the mass of the moving parts means this load shouldn't be too high. I will probably try it with just one gear at some point, see how it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Having recently got my first recoiless rifle(Original 75)which has peaked my interest in this subject, like others i'm following with interest
    Thanks. The Diana recoilless rifles were obviously a big influence on this project, in particular the mod 60. Initially I had just planned on having a sporter/thumhole style stock made for my mod 60 or 66. But then I got a bit carried away....

Got a bit done this weekend. Most important thing was posting the trigger blocks back to the machinist to be re-worked . But these things happen, especially at this stage.
    So no assembly or test firing just yet!

Instead I got on with some electroplating. Plated the breech jaws, gear racks and chassis brackets. All nickel, except the breech jaws which were bright nickel, with black nickel on top. I didn't worry about polishing the parts up to get a really nice finish, as these are probably going to have a hard life, and will definitely get scratched or modified at some point. So just went with a bead blasted finish. I'll need to take a better photo in natural light, but black nickel on bead blasted steel has come out quite a nice satin gunmetal grey colour. I quite like it.

Also 3D printed a little jig to hold the piston latch rod and gear rack in alignment whilst they are bonded to the piston. The latch rod will get loctite, and the gear rack will get a 2 part epoxy. The piston has been designed so that the gear rack is always acting on a shoulder when fired. The only time they will be in shear is during cocking, which is low load.
    The picture was just for show, I will assembly the piston this week once I've cut the latch rod extension to the correct size.

BUILD AND DEVELOPMENT IMAGES