Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GTS break barrel

I've only just found this thread after friends pointed it out on our whattsap group. This may have been mentioned in an earlier thread about this project, but what is the rifle going to be for? Like a Diana airking for targets, or a hunter/sporter type? If it's the latter I will definitely be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    I've only just found this thread after friends pointed it out on our whattsap group. This may have been mentioned in an earlier thread about this project, but what is the rifle going to be for? Like a Diana airking for targets, or a hunter/sporter type? If it's the latter I will definitely be interested.
    For the first version I am aiming to match the size and weight of a Walther LGV or TX200HC. So on the heavier side of sporting, but definitely lighter than an airking.
    I have some modifications planned that will bring the weight down to about the same as a HW80, but that is a way off yet.

I don't want it to be a benchrest only type rifle. I want people to be able to take it out in the fields all day.

Excellent 👍, that's perfect sounding to me.

Size comparison

The plan for this project has always been to be no bigger or heavier than what I think is the best shooting currently available break barrel (the Walther LGV).
    Obviously an ambitious goal because there's a bit more going on inside mine!

So how do think I'm doing so far? There's no stock yet, but I don't think the first prototype is too far off. And the revised design is already 5mm less tall than this version.

wow

Hi Dan
    I think you are doing amazingly
    Lots of us of have thought about doing it but don t have the skill
    Innovator and pioneer
    Best of luck Sir
    I ll deffo have one
    ATVB
    STAY SAFE
    TOM

If it outshoots the LGV its is going to be an absolute cracker. I watch with the greatest interest and admiration.

Starting to come together nicely mate

Funds put aside ready

Exciting stuff, I do love a nice break barrel and this looks like it's going to be a cracker. Good luck Dan, I can't wait to see this all sorted.

Looking good, Danski.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Update

This week's update.
    Finished the first test assembly this week. Unfortunately the cocking linkage gave some unexpected grief, mainly due to the slightly odd way it's cocked. But reverted to plan B which seemed to fix it in the short term (always have a plan B!)

Then had a few shots to test the trigger. No complications there which was nice. Managed about 20 shots before one of the pins in the cocking linkage gave up (I don't think my fleabay 'hardened' steel pins are very hard at all).

Only run it at very low power (about 3 ft-lb at a guess). So no feedback on the recoil just yet. Will order some spares and rebuild next week, then start upping the power slowly.

Looking good! Its really coming together now,
    It's nice to see the progress you're making
    Martin

Another week, another update.
    Been having some quality family time this weekend so not managed much progress, and still having some teething issues with the cocking linkage. But managed to get some quick video of the rifle shooting with and without the recoilless system active.

'Without recoilless system' has a 220g piston
    'With recoilling system' has roughly 440g effective piston weight

Apologies for the video quality. Will try to get some better footage when I can.
    Also the piston mass has not been balanced yet so there is a bit of movement still. This will be sorted.

CLICKY LINKY

looking good, Is that still at 3 fpe Dan , or have you had it running at ,11 plus yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    looking good, Is that still at 3 fpe Dan , or have you had it running at ,11 plus yet ?
    Nope, not got the power up yet. This is still at 45mm stroke. Having some gremlins with the cocking linkages due to the way it's laid out (very different to any other break barrel).

Will up the stroke once those gremlins are fixed