Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got my project gun

So I got my project gun

A follow on from my post outlining my quest for a Chinese gun , the plan was to sleeve down and create something outstanding from humble beginnings, anyway it didn't turn out that way , after many enquiries , blind alleys and good deals that fell through , pcp shooter was kind enough to take all the parts I wasn't going to use out of his gun and sell it to me, and no it isn't Chinese , Its an HW 80! so bang goes the original plan ,

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...2f5Hot928COPVj

New plan , similar to the old plan but with a little more respect for the 80, sleeve the compression tube down , had a measure up and think I can squeeze 90mm stroke from the old girl, so 23mm, as JB has a 24mm and apparently its brilliant( wouldnt expect anything else from John) and what's the point in having two of them ?, at the longer stroke should be a nice soft firing cycle , will be keeping the hw latch set up so non rotating It will have a steel piston with rear bearing with a pin to achieve this . Lots of room in the piston for spring choice. I have been having brilliant results from my synthetic piston ring experiments with the TX, so will pop one of those in . The sleeve, thinking removable in case it all ends up rubbish , A friend at the club has been producing rekord trigger blades, with two screws like a tx , and he gave me one to try, so I will put that in , lucky bugger that I am . If it all shoots as well as I want it to, I will do a venom style moderator for the front,and would love a tyrolean stock if one came up, if not perhaps adjustable cheek piece and a bisley pad I have in the cupboard , so that's about it watch this space .

Sounds interesting but piccy no worky!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

thats weird works when I click the link , anyone got any ideas ?

Nick, drop me a line before you decide on anything with the stock
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Nick, drop me a line before you decide on anything with the stock
    will do Craig, we need to have a catch up , I have two 21mm field target rigs set up both running the new piston rings, we could shoot a course together maybe .

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    man, 23mm heh ? One upmanship at it best

Good luck with it mate.. your 80 probably looks a bit better cosmetically than mine started out (oops, must be careful, the geyser who sold it to me is on this thread too)

BTW I went with around 82 or 83mm stroke, so I think you are bang on if you can get 90mm.. you might need to trim the front stock mounting lugs back a fraction. my 23mm TX is just over 90, but that will be a faction less efficient, so once again, all adds up.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Good luck with it mate.. your 80 looks a bit better cosmetically than mine started out (oops, must be careful, the geyser who sold it to me is on this thread too)

BTW I went with around 82 or 83mm stroke, so I think you are bang on if you can get 90mm.. you might need to trim the front stock mounting lugs back a fraction
    Happened to have a bit of 23 mm tube measured up and 93 mm just possible before the piston drops out of the tube. 90 mm lever hits the stock lugs ,so may need to trim as you say to allow for the play in the trigger mech, will be having a play this week

Good luck with it mate.. your 80 probably looks a bit better cosmetically than mine started out (oops, must be careful, the geyser who sold it to me is on this thread too)

BTW I went with around 82 or 83mm stroke, so I think you are bang on if you can get 90mm.. you might need to trim the front stock mounting lugs back a fraction. my 23mm TX is just over 90, but that will be a faction less efficient, so once again, all adds up.
    One downmanship Mr. B

Looking forward to hearing how this works out, Nick.

Very nicely indeed, methinks.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I thought ‘patina’ was sought after with these older guns...

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    will do Craig, we need to have a catch up , I have two 21mm field target rigs set up both running the new piston rings, we could shoot a course together maybe .
    I’ll look forward to that, mate. Let me know a week in advance and I’ll sort stuff out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I thought ‘patina’ was sought after with these older guns...
    it was perfect for the job in hand.. never sleeved a closed cylinder gun before, so I didn't want to wreck anyhthing expensive. Although I actually nearly did wreck this one !

And no, you can't buy it back
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Did a bit today made the sleeve a little unusual in that, I have lined an ally tube with steel , to keep the weight down a bit , the end of the comp tube doesn't look square / flat and has some damage, so I want to make sure it's sealing and can remove it if it's not , so an o ring on the front end andextra length at the front to give room for two retaining screw's, hopefully pictures below, next job piston .

Nice approach to sealing Nick.. if it's really uneven down there though, any chance the seal could get nicked ?

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    One downmanship Mr. B
    ha, indeed