Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: So I got my project gun

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    So waiting for the action to come back from the blacking shop, finished the 22 mm internals , side by side with the 23

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9jGf7Uo2xBYDdDAr9
    I might be a bit sad as I think they both look very sexy.

Be great to hear how you feel they compare.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

So waiting for the action to come back from the blacking shop, finished the 22 mm internals , side by side with the 23

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9jGf7Uo2xBYDdDAr9
    Nick, can I ask what material/steel you make the pistons from

Many thanks

Steve

These are three pieces ally nose steel body and rear end all threaded together as it needs to be strong for cocking.

Ok, thanks fir the reply.

All sounds good.

Steve

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    These are three pieces ally nose steel body and rear end all threaded together as it needs to be strong for cocking.
    yeah, mine is solid steel as I was worried about the strength with cocking too, and my lathework is nothing like as accurate as Nick's.. well, it's nothing like accurate

Sliding comp tube guns, TX, 97 etc are so much easier.

What's the wall thickness on the steel piston body Nick - you down to 1mm or less ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I am 1mm wall on the 23mm, as I am using an hw 97 spring, the 22 has a bit more meat 1.1 mm , Steel is plenty strong enough at these thicknesses, as cocking effort is easy, I have run sliding comp tube pistons in ally at 1mm wall with no problems .
    I have it back from the blacking shop and built with the 23mm and running sweetly, I built the 22mm in and the sleeve wasn't sealing, wrong size o ring , got one ordered so will try it before the bash, then if its all good will probably bring both kits with me .

yeah, 1mm is fine, but I'd be worried if it went much less... especially with my machining skills - who knows what it could be along the length - 1.1mm here, 0.6mm there...

I really never understood the whole skirtless piston thing; it's not a good idea, especially in higher powered sporting guns, and as you and I have both proved (you more than I; I've only done a few), it's completely unnecessary for a 22mm setup.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Way back when I had the idea for skirtless, I was thinking along the lines of Colin Chapman, "add lightness" and make one component do multiple tasks , however I soon dropped it as to enable the piston to work without rocking it has to be longer than it is in diameter which robs spring room, I have however done a successful one with a piston nose shaped like a top hat with only a 5mm long end for an o ring and the rod running in the spring guide for support, that way plenty of spring room, the rear guide has to be properly concentric though for it to work.
    Picture of the blacking below quite pleased for a first attempt.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3oABmz71Gy7WX16c6

looks neat.. I like the wolf in sheep's clothing look

BTW One bit of your house isn't very well attached to the other...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    looks neat.. I like the wolf in sheep's clothing look

BTW One bit of your house isn't very well attached to the other...
    That's next doors extension. I have a Tyrolean stock on the way so it should look a bit classy, hopefully.

The ,22mm didn't work ,the threaded rear end left the skirt too thin and it broke off , so 23,mm it is , will bring it to the bash along with my 21 mm X ring tx HC , and the latest incarnation, short stroke(relatively) 21mm synthetic piston ringed full length Tx.

Be nice to take them apart and have a look

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Be nice to take them apart and have a look
    I will bring a comp tube and piston so you can have a look. The HC is skirt less but not like you would expect , we could take that appart .

Cool. Be good to catch up

Been a while , but finally got the stock finished and the gun assembled , nicked a scope of one of my other guns ,it handles nicely and shoots incredibly well, very pleased with it . Pictures to follow .