Thread: Interesting article on prices of air rifles from '80s and '90s

Interesting article on prices of air rifles from '80s and '90s

I noticed the article beneath, which suggests that prices for '80s and '90s air rifles are firm and rising and thought members might like to see this.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ai...g-money-100000

What happens at an auctioneer such as Holts might be rather different to what occurs elsewhere, of course.

Rgds
    A

Whiscombes are the top of the tree collector wise along with venom gear. Everything else is subject to what others are willing to pay. A whiscombe went for over 5k at an sale this year.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Trouble is that some people see this and assume that rusty relic thats been rusting in the loft is money in the bank.
    Really nice condition older air rifles always attract good money, abused tat is just that...
    Still its nice to see the 80's stuff getting recognised more and ironically I think it's the clinical nature of modern PCP's that have helped this as people look for traditional spring air rifles of quality with heritage & character to supplement collections rather than replace them.

To be frank, I read the article and thought that it was "sensationalising" the market as whilst it's true that "the best of the bunch in good condition are increasing in value", abused and clapped out relics are as much tat today as they were many years ago shortly after first being made (ie, I agree 100% with a previous posting).

If being old is being valuable, why aren't I rich !

Vic Thompson.

. Possibly even more remarkable was the four boxed BSA air rifles from the late 70s to early 80s pictured here. With a low estimate of £480 they smashed this to bring £870 plus premium.
    So substantially less than four new BSA Lightning’s would cost. Mmmm. Remarkable indeed. I imagine at best those rifles have held their value in real terms. At best.

Collecting is fun but with a few exceptions I doubt most items really appreciate. Keeping pace with inflation is the most you can expect
    Morally flawed

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I need to keep hold of my BSA's a bit longer then, the trouble is, companies like John Knibbs don't help when they try to flog rifles like Airsporter mk5's for nearly £300.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I’m sorry folks... I don’t mean to offend owners of older, or “classic guns” .... I own two myself .... And I’m not suggesting that the op is trying to mislead anyone...but this sort of hype has been going on forever!!!!

All commercial sellers of older models, The magazines they sponsor through advertising, and many private owners, regularly talk about ordinary, everyday post WWII guns “Holding their prices really well” or “Increasing in value” ... And you’ll very often see those same people putting them up for sale using other usernames, in other forums or sites like Gunstar or MeWe within days, to grab people’s attention before they forget the hype speech they’ve just read....

It’s total rubbish, intended to encourage gullible people to buy old but not really rare, mass produced guns, at silly prices, thinking they’re making a good investment... Or to spend lots of money fixing up an old gun that’s only going to be worth the same as a modern, used Gamo when it’s done...

You’ve only got to look online, at the guns that have been bought for peanuts, stripped, and sold as parts by people who do it for profit, because they know that the guns they strip aren’t worth more than a few quid in decent working condition..

Unless it’s in truly exceptionally unblemished condition, extremely old, or rare as rocking horse poo, it’s just a simple, used, ordinary gun, that will eventually need work.. And the springs, seals etc, may well be stupidly expensive (If you can get them easily that is)
    Where be your gibes now? Your songs? Your gambols? Miserable bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by Septic View Post
    I’m sorry folks... I don’t mean to offend owners of older, or “classic guns” .... I own two myself .... And I’m not suggesting that the op is trying to mislead anyone...but this sort of hype has been going on forever!!!!

All commercial sellers of older models, The magazines they sponsor through advertising, and many private owners, regularly talk about ordinary, everyday post WWII guns “Holding their prices really well” or “Increasing in value” ... And you’ll very often see those same people putting them up for sale using other usernames, in other forums or sites like Gunstar or MeWe within days, to grab people’s attention before they forget the hype speech they’ve just read....

It’s total rubbish, intended to encourage gullible people to buy old but not really rare, mass produced guns, at silly prices, thinking they’re making a good investment... Or to spend lots of money fixing up an old gun that’s only going to be worth the same as a modern, used Gamo when it’s done...

You’ve only got to look online, at the guns that have been bought for peanuts, stripped, and sold as parts by people who do it for profit, because they know that the guns they strip aren’t worth more than a few quid in decent working condition..

Unless it’s in truly exceptionally unblemished condition, extremely old, or rare as rocking horse poo, it’s just a simple, used, ordinary gun, that will eventually need work.. And the springs, seals etc, may well be stupidly expensive (If you can get them easily that is)
    All true. Nothing mass produced that survived in reasonable numbers is really going to appreciate because the market now is so small. If sir does not want to pay £x for a Webley tracker another one will be along soon enough

The VCRA has further held down the price of anything post war by sticking an extra £20-25 plus a trip to your local rfd on the cost of buying anything that has to be shipped from a dealer or auction house.

The upside of modest prices is you can get a well engineered and/or interesting old gun for no more (often less) than the price of some boring modern gun. Ok, if you want to be reliably knocking over squirrels at 30 yd’s you need the modern gun, but for pleasure of ownership and plinking an old gun wins hands down for me

It’s the usual story. Buy something you like for a price you are willing to pay and ignore anything else.
    Morally flawed

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    All true. Nothing mass produced that survived in reasonable numbers is really going to appreciate because the market now is so small. If sir does not want to pay £x for a Webley tracker another one will be along soon enough
    While there are elements I agree with, I don't 100% agree and the aforementioned Webley Tracker is a good example as per the original article.
    Fine Deluxe ones are now attracting strong money and while it's true another will be along soon enough its liable to be a plain Jane model and/or well used/abused with missing bits.
    Wheras the walnut ones with barrel weight, nameplate and optional open sights is going to cost you a lot more than it did a few years ago.
    Yes, you MAY find a bargain, IF someone doesn't know what they are selling - but that's true of everything and less likely with ready access to the Internet and the increase in valuation threads.

... And that's pretty much what the article said, not All rifles and it cited a select few.

Actually the original article was one of the reasons i cancelled my sub to the magazine. Advice to 'take it into the police station' ? WTF. I didn't get past that bit originally but have read the later version fully. I have a few pieces made past 1960 but as its pre 1939 and pistols that is my main interest so the article hasn't got any real appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    While there are elements I agree with, I don't 100% agree and the aforementioned Webley Tracker is a good example as per the original article.
    Fine Deluxe ones are now attracting strong money and while it's true another will be along soon enough its liable to be a plain Jane model and/or well used/abused with missing bits.
    Wheras the walnut ones with barrel weight, nameplate and optional open sights is going to cost you a lot more than it did a few years ago.
    Yes, you MAY find a bargain, IF someone doesn't know what they are selling - but that's true of everything and less likely with ready access to the Internet and the increase in valuation threads.

... And that's pretty much what the article said, not All rifles and it cited a select few.
    Well, I don’t know the price of a delux tracker new, but if they were to cost you £400 now, that would have been the same as a touch over £130 in 1985. So I think my sense that save for the very old or very rare things just about keep pace with inflation at best is probably about right.
    Morally flawed