Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW 30 Gas Ram

HW 30 Gas Ram

Just made a visit to agrtuning and happened to see a gas ram from Vortek that he has been sent to evaluate. I have always been impressed with the quality of Vortek standard airgun springs and this "pneumatic piston" gives the same impression. It is supplied with a fill adapter that screws into the centre of the piston seal and can be pumped with a standard foot pump to required pressure. This one has been tested to 9 ft.lb. which is really a maximum you want for the little HW30.
    These gas ram pneumatic pistons are not available yet in UK, but will be coming on stream together with others for the Weihrauch range.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

This sounds good. Especially if the whole HW range will be covered. Any talk of rrp?

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Just made a visit to agrtuning and happened to see a gas ram from Vortek that he has been sent to evaluate. I have always been impressed with the quality of Vortek standard airgun springs and this "pneumatic piston" gives the same impression. It is supplied with a fill adapter that screws into the centre of the piston seal and can be pumped with a standard foot pump to required pressure. This one has been tested to 9 ft.lb. which is really a maximum you want for the little HW30.
    These gas ram pneumatic pistons are not available yet in UK, but will be coming on stream together with others for the Weihrauch range.

Baz

Not a standard foot pump but a Hill type stirrup pump.

A standard foot pump as in vehicle tyre pump wont go up to 65 or 75 bar .

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    So does the centre piston trigger latch rod run through the middle of the ram and the large outer plunger compress the gasses when cocked, there must be some good seals in there.

This is interesting then as if it works for HW's then may be one for other centre rod rifles will be available at a later date?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Not a standard foot pump but a Hill type stirrup pump.

A standard foot pump as in vehicle tyre pump wont go up to 65 or 75 bar .
    If you new my background in airgun repairs you would know I was referring to the Hills type. We do not use the low pressure foot pumps down south anymore, they are antiques. We have electric ones for pumping tyres etc.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 07-07-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    So does the centre piston trigger latch rod run through the middle of the ram and the large outer plunger compress the gasses when cocked, there must be some good seals in there.

This is interesting then as if it works for HW's then may be one for other centre rod rifles will be available at a later date?

Pete
    Pete, the design principle is basically the same as other gas rams that have been around for years, except for the filling valve for the air being in the piston head. Also they look like they have a very high quality build spec. Think price will match the quality.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

If the fill inlet is in the piston head whats the assembly like with a ram at full pressure? Simular to a spring i stall or harder to compress baz?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Hi BAz, ref Pete's question... does the centre rod run through the ram, emerging from the centre of the rear guide ? I assume it must ?

Obviously the HW30 does not have a piston skirt latching trigger like a supersport or meteor, for example...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Hi BAz, ref Pete's question... does the centre rod run through the ram, emerging from the centre of the rear guide ? I assume it must ?

Obviously the HW30 does not have a piston skirt latching trigger like a supersport or meteor, for example...
    like this I would assume . click the pics. they did not come out right for some reason.

[IMG] [/IMG]

https://airenlaces.blogspot.com/2012...iston-igt.html

yes, exactly what I was thinking... can't see how else it can be. Only disadvantages is you have twice the opportunity for a leak.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

[QUOTE=bighit;7898131]The older version here .

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2018...piston-part-1/

good read... looks liek that one never made it to production though...

Is likely to have any effect on the galling issues? I know it doesn't affect all guns but simply refuse to buy one until its not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yes, exactly what I was thinking... can't see how else it can be. Only disadvantages is you have twice the opportunity for a leak.

Would that be the same way the Theoben HW80 one worked ?

In the article above they say its patented I'm guessing that would be due to the Theoben one being lapsed .

Vortek Products Inc, long known for innovation in retrofit air gun products, has been in the air gun business since 1989 providing innovated, custom-built air gun muzzle brakes and tune kits. With many years of experience in manufacturing, we were the first to receive a patent for a “Hollow Head, nylon Tip Pellet”, and receive the first and only patent for a “center Latching” gas spring piston for air guns in 1994! We’re excited about the new and ever growing opportunities in the industry. We plan on this site to exhibit innovative design ideas as they are created that are happening right now here at Vortek.
    Last edited by bighit; 07-07-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Would that be the same way the Theoben HW80 one worked ?
    I assume so, but never had one in my grubby mitts