Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest springer ever made

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

What is the biggest springer ever made

Both in size and swept volume, i'm thinking a Hatsan 135.

How much bigger could a spring gun go or would this be the practical limit.

I have the Hatsan sniper 125,that’s bigger than my Pro/elite.
    I would say the Webley Patriot was a bit of a lump,but I have no first hand experience of one.
    Les..

Arrow

Can't imagine any bigger than the 125 and 135 and certainly none in .30 cal either.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I would say the Webley Patriot was a bit of a lump,but I have no first hand experience of one.
    Les..
    I have the 125 too...in addition to being monstrosity large,
    it is also exceedingly accurate and built like a tank.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Gas rather than spring but my Eliminator is a fair old lump of rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Les..
    That 125 must be big its the same stroke as the 135 but 29 mm bore instead of 30 mm almost the Patriot swept volume, is it running at under 12 ft/lbs?

I looks so far that the 135 is the worlds biggest ever springer

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    That 125 must be big its the same stroke as the 135 but 29 mm bore instead of 30 mm almost the Patriot swept volume, is it running at under 12 ft/lbs?

I looks so far that the 135 is the worlds biggest ever springer
    What ftlb in fac is the 135

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    From what I have seen reported in countries with no limit around 24-27 ft/lbs in .22 but the .30 is way over 30 ft/lbs

I've a picture of me son with a hatsan 125 along side of him and it looked ridiculous. The 135 as mentioned is a 30mm cylinder. Handled a 30 cal at my rfd, I'd say it was unusable, made a 80 feel like a rat catcher!

Here's a question because I don't know the answer. Did the whiscombe rifles stroke number i.e 55, 60, 75, 80 refer to each individual piston's stroke, or combined stroke?

The JW80 was a genuine 30ft-lb rifle by some accounts. I'm not sure that would be possible with a combined stroke of just 80mm. So was it 80mm per piston? Which would give 160mm total stroke!
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chip in and correct me

The Gamo 1250 Magnum has got to be amongst the biggest with its enormous bore and stroke. Bowkett told me that he came up with a .25" version to compete with the Webley Patriot in the States. It used a SuperTen bull barrel shroud and he fitted a .25" BSA barrel. Marketing decided the pricing was against it after all the modifications were made to a standard 1250. Cost would have been above the Patriot. It was ideal for poking out squirrel dreys

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    The Gamo 1250 Magnum has got to be amongst the biggest with its enormous bore and stroke. Bowkett told me that he came up with a .25" version to compete with the Webley Patriot in the States. It used a SuperTen bull barrel shroud and he fitted a .25" BSA barrel. Marketing decided the pricing was against it after all the modifications were made to a standard 1250. Cost would have been above the Patriot. It was ideal for poking out squirrel dreys
    You are right one of the biggest just behind the Patriot bore 29 mm stroke 118 mm the Patriot 30 mm bore stroke 114 mm but the 135 is bore 30 mm stroke 120 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    They quote 30ftlb for the 135 but 34ftlb for the 130 as featured in the thread how not to cock a springer

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    They quote 30ftlb for the 135 but 34ftlb for the 130 as featured in the thread how not to cock a springer

Ok not stock but higher powered than stock .

According to Rich, his rifle is just a shell of a Hatsan 135. He has completely remanufactured the powerplant with custom parts that are too exotic to explain. It uses a gas spring, but that’s as close as it gets to the stock rifle. He added a custom TJ barrel, after discovering that his new powerplant benefitted by more length.

The stock 135 he has gets 535 f.p.s. with a JSB Exact 44.775-grain dome. The custom rifle gets 625 f.p.s. with the same pellet. As far as I could tell, the cocking effort of his rifle is identical to the one I am testing for you — 57 lbs. For comparison my test 135 got an average of 580 f.p.s. with that pellet. So Rich has boosted the rifle’s velocity with no increase in cocking effort. He’s done this by means of a totally new powerplant plus a new barrel. The original 135 barrel is 10.5 inches long and the one he has put on the gun is 20.5-inches. Usually a longer barrel does not add velocity to a spring gun, but on this one it does.

38.85 ft lbs after custom tuning . He is also going to try and get 700fps from it ,that is 48.73 ft lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Ok not stock but higher powered than stock .

According to Rich, his rifle is just a shell of a Hatsan 135. He has completely remanufactured the powerplant with custom parts that are too exotic to explain. It uses a gas spring, but that’s as close as it gets to the stock rifle. He added a custom TJ barrel, after discovering that his new powerplant benefitted by more length.

The stock 135 he has gets 535 f.p.s. with a JSB Exact 44.775-grain dome. The custom rifle gets 625 f.p.s. with the same pellet. As far as I could tell, the cocking effort of his rifle is identical to the one I am testing for you — 57 lbs. For comparison my test 135 got an average of 580 f.p.s. with that pellet. So Rich has boosted the rifle’s velocity with no increase in cocking effort. He’s done this by means of a totally new powerplant plus a new barrel. The original 135 barrel is 10.5 inches long and the one he has put on the gun is 20.5-inches. Usually a longer barrel does not add velocity to a spring gun, but on this one it does.

38.85 ft lbs after custom tuning . He is also going to try and get 700fps from it ,that is 48.73 ft lbs.
    Is that figure possible out of a springer ...??