Thread: Aperature sight identification

Aperature sight identification

Anyone know this sight? Thanks

Sure seems to be a BSA 21a except with a very clever multi-size aperture plate added. Could this plate have been a factory option? I can't find a mention of it in the old catalogs.

Don R.

That looks like a BSA 21b, which is a variant of the 21a in that it offers a choice of aperture sizes and is by no means a common sight.

A good find.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That looks like a BSA 21b, which is a variant of the 21a in that it offers a choice of aperture sizes and is by no means a common sight.

A good find.

Kind regards,

John
    Think you turned up a similar image when Binners was looking for a 21a. Hazy recall that it had a rotating disc multi facility. rifleman site maybe?
    I feel a replica coming on again.

Forgot to say thanks for the photos 45Flint. We only had a base to work from and some photos of one with bits missing. Thanks J&J.
    The details on forked end of windage spindle makes sense now. Tried a couple of methods before settling on Mkiv.
    Think Mkiv went to Chieffool.
    There's another tale.

Last night I did end up buying this rifle. It is a interesting configuration. The rifle is a BSA Light with a serial number that would make in 1920. I have been looking at brochures and I think the 21b sight was not continued after the war? The mounting of the sight is not factory (not that well done) so I assume the person owning the rifle bought it and mounted it? Makes for a bit of a curiosity, can’t find another Pic of a Light with a 21b? I initially started this thread cause I wasn’t sure the sight was a BSA original and how that may effect my thoughts on bidding. Thanks for your help, been try to get a Light over here in the US for years not as easy as the UK.
    Last edited by 45flint; 06-07-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Last night I did end up buying this rifle. It is a interesting configuration. The rifle is a BSA Light with a serial number that would make in 1920. I have been looking at brochures and I think the 21b sight was not continued after the war? The mounting of the sight is not factory (not that well done) so I assume the person owning the rifle bought it and mounted it? Makes for a bit of a curiosity, can’t find another Pic of a Light with a 21b? I initially started this thread cause I wasn’t sure the sight was a BSA original and how that may effect my thoughts on bidding. Thanks for your help, been try to get a Light over here in the US for years not as easy as the UK.
    I have a 'Transitional' BSA Light Pattern dating from early 1919. These were produced using up pre-WW1 mostly improved Mod D parts while introducing the post-WW1 lock work present on the L Series rifles.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I have a 'Transitional' BSA Light Pattern dating from early 1919. These were produced using up pre-WW1 mostly improved Mod D parts while introducing the post-WW1 lock work present on the L Series rifles.

Brian
    Interesting rifle will be interesting to compare when I get mine. Love the older stock and cocking lever on yours. There is something elegant about those straight stocks. Now that’s a early serial number!

[QUOTE=45flint;7897590]Interesting rifle will be interesting to compare when I get mine. Love the older stock and cocking lever on yours. There is something elegant about those straight stocks. Now that’s a early serial number![/QUOTE

Hi Steve,

These are the three pre-war Improved Mod Ds I own along with the Transitional model for size comparison. I find the Light Pattern the easiest to shoot with the Standard Pattern being a bit long and ungainly. The Junior Pattern would have been a nice present for youngster to receive back in 1911 when it would have been quite an expensive present.

Brian

One of my early acquisitions when I started collecting 5 years ago was a BSA Standard, 1923? fun to have a contemporary Light to go with it finally. Exact same style stock. Light has cast trigger guard.

Last edited by 45flint; 06-07-2020 at 03:21 PM.

One of my early acquisitions when I started collecting 5 years ago was a BSA Standard, 1923? fun to have a contemporary Light to go with it finally. Exact same style stock.
    These old BSAs are a pleasure to shoot and are in my experience among the most forgiving of poor technique on behalf of the user.
    Some time ago I fitted a BSA No 8 Aperture sight to the Light Pattern pictured in the previous post which helps compensate for my aging eyesight. It also has a variable six hole eyepiece making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    These old BSAs are a pleasure to shoot and are in my experience among the most forgiving of poor technique on behalf of the user.
    Some time ago I fitted a BSA No 8 Aperture sight to the Light Pattern pictured in the previous post which helps compensate for my aging eyesight. It also has a variable six hole eyepiece making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.

Brian
    Did you Velcro that sight in place or am I seeing things?

Did you Velcro that sight in place or am I seeing things?
    Hi,
    The Velcro is only there to protect the woodwork when the sight is folded down and the eyepiece comes into contact with the stock. The sight itself if firmly attached to the stock by means of wood screws. The No 8 sight can easily be fitted to the Straight Hand stock, but requires the removal of wood from the Pistol Grip stock. I needed to remove and blank the standard turret rear sight due to sight picture interference and fit a PH foresight globe (not shown in this picture) giving the choice of either ring or blade elements.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 06-07-2020 at 05:22 PM.