Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor - Reloading Advice

6.5 Creedmoor - Reloading Advice

Would be grateful if some of the more experienced shooters using this cartridge could provide some advice to get me started. Rifle is Bergara HMR with 22" barrel.

I'm hoping to use on Roe and Red deer, then long range gongs / targets. I'm leaning towards the ELD-X and ELD-M line ups, but would be happy to hear about any other good bullets out there.

Specifically, being new to the cartridge, I'm looking to hear recommendations on:

- Powder
    - Brass (large or small primers?)
    - Dies
    - Primers

From the reading I've done so far, there's a suggestion that I can get a higher MV with large rifle primers. May need with the 22" barrel.

I don't want any silly barrel burner powders as it's a brand new rifle and I'd like it to last. Read some good things on RS62 and RS70. Vhit N560 and N550.

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Cant speak specifically about the creedmoor but I do load for 260rem.
    I would stick to the N150/N160 powders as the 5 series powders are higher energy I believe.
    Not tried any of the elx type bullets due to the cost of them.
    I am a fan of 123gn and 139gn lapua scenars.
    Both shoot well to 1k plus.
    And they are relatively cheap in 1k boxes and always available.

Brass - I would go Lapua which is SRP and small flash hole, it is stronger, will last longer and will get you all the velocity you need

Powder - for absolute velocity RS60 is hard to beat but it’s a barrel burner. you mention n550 & N560, you will need double best for highest velocity out of a shortish barrel but have you considered N555 which Vihtavuori developed specifically Prs calibres like creedmoor https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/n5...energy-powder/

Dies- whatever you prefer, I use the Lee deluxe set but will get a micrometer seater at some point. Just be aware if you go small flash hole then you will Need a suitable sized decamping pin (redding I think ) or turn the decapper on other dies as I did with the lee.

Bullets; can of worms, accubond long range 129 are showing a little over 1/4 mod accuracy in my Howa, not tried on deer yet. But as I said elsewhere you being you the eld-x is your place to start
    Last edited by 223AI; 05-07-2020 at 09:01 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Cant speak specifically about the creedmoor but I do load for 260rem.
    I would stick to the N150/N160 powders as the 5 series powders are higher energy I believe.
    Not tried any of the elx type bullets due to the cost of them.
    I am a fan of 123gn and 139gn lapua scenars.
    Both shoot well to 1k plus.
    And they are relatively cheap in 1k boxes and always available.
    No good for deer though.....
    Thanks for looking

Watching this thread with interest....

Rich

I'm currently gathering up brass for reloading for the creedmoor.
    With Seller and Belliot 140gr sp knocking out 3/4 INCH groups (£19 a box)with a rifle not even broken in yet im wondering is it worth my while...
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by big rich View Post
    I'm currently gathering up brass for reloading for the creedmoor.
    With Seller and Belliot 140gr sp knocking out 3/4 INCH groups (£19 a box)with a rifle not even broken in yet im wondering is it worth my while...
    Rich
    Ha I'm using the same as haven't had a chance to do much load testing, that said I have a load for 129 gr ABLRs that is showing pomise. How are you finding the S&B for damage though, I am getting quite a lot (search Elliot's thread on SD for photos) but the second box seems a bit harder.

I will still probably load as I don't like to be reliant on shops being open and having stock for ammo but it is nice to have a factory option at sensible money if I am pushed for time. Have ordered a box of each of the other expanding loads that they do inc lead free to try, would be nice if they had a 90/95 gr varmint load!
    Thanks for looking

I haven't shot any deer with them, just bought some to run barrel in as only other option was hornady 140 eldm @£39.
    I'll probably pick up a set of dies in the near future. But well impressed with the S&B on paper anyway

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Ha I'm using the same as haven't had a chance to do much load testing, that said I have a load for 129 gr ABLRs that is showing pomise. How are you finding the S&B for damage though, I am getting quite a lot (search Elliot's thread on SD for photos) but the second box seems a bit harder.

I will still probably load as I don't like to be reliant on shops being open and having stock for ammo but it is nice to have a factory option at sensible money if I am pushed for time. Have ordered a box of each of the other expanding loads that they do inc lead free to try, would be nice if they had a 90/95 gr varmint load!
    Oh goodness lol, just found photos on SD, they sure do cause a bit of carcase damage😲

Rich

6.5 Creedmoor - Reloading Advice

I'd second the recommendation of N160 or N555, despite the latter being the 5 series it has similar energy content to the 1 series powders in the same burning rate range so should be kinder to the barrel that N550 or N560 which can be very erosive, especially if you run high pressures. N160 is quite bulky, I haven't seen the kernel size of N555 but when I did a search on google I got directed to a Vit page which listed it quite small, similar to N550 so it should pack well in the case.

I would only use small primer brass if the firing pin is a good fit to the bolt face, I've read Bergara's can be on the sloppy side which can cause cratering and blanking, not something you really want to deal with. Large primer brass is more forgiving in this area although it won't hold up as well to stout loads, but Lapua is the brand to buy. There would not be that much difference between large and small primer velocity, there are many more factors that would affect velocity than the size of the primer, make of primer being one example.

The only other thing to watch is the throat length vs magazine length unless you're happy to load singly. Many of the heavier bullets in 6.5mm especially the Hornady are very long and can intrude into the case limiting powder capacity which with a 22" barrel you would want to maximise.

As to dies I use/d a combination of Whidden, Redding and Forster, Wilson are also very good but not sure if they do 6.5 Creedmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post
    I'd second the recommendation of N160 or N555, despite the latter being the 5 series it has similar energy content to the 1 series powders in the same burning rate range so should be kinder to the barrel that N550 or N560 which can be very erosive, especially if you run high pressures. N160 is quite bulky, I haven't seen the kernel size of N555 but when I did a search on google I got directed to a Vit page which listed it quite small, similar to N550 so it should pack well in the case.

I would only use small primer brass if the firing pin is a good fit to the bolt face, I've read Bergara's can be on the sloppy side which can cause cratering and blanking, not something you really want to deal with. Large primer brass is more forgiving in this area although it won't hold up as well to stout loads, but Lapua is the brand to buy. There would not be that much difference between large and small primer velocity, there are many more factors that would affect velocity than the size of the primer, make of primer being one example.

The only other thing to watch is the throat length vs magazine length unless you're happy to load singly. Many of the heavier bullets in 6.5mm especially the Hornady are very long and can intrude into the case limiting powder capacity which with a 22" barrel you would want to maximise.

As to dies I use/d a combination of Whidden, Redding and Forster, Wilson are also very good but not sure if they do 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Good and useful post, sir!!

Thanks for the advice so far.

Just ordered the Lee Ultimate 4 Die Set from CDSG. Waiting on the DM80 mod from Dave Mercer before I shoot the rifle. Might have to try some of those 140gr S&B rounds to zero and break in the barrel.

I'll have a look at the Vhit N555 and RS62 powders, I think. Shame you can't buy the Vhit in 1lb tubs over here!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

I had great success with RS62, not as fast as RS60 but much kinder on the barrel life. Only ever used it with 140g heads though, but was able to sort a good and decent 1/2 MOA load for distance. Worth a try.
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.

Hornady 140 gr InterLock® SP over rs62 with cheap GGG lrp brass. Cheap effective accurate bang floppers.

I use:

Lapua small primer brass
    Lapua 139gr 6.5mm Scenar bullets
    RS62 powder
    CCI small rifle primers

Redding competition and Type S Bushing dies.