Thread: Marksman pellets, serious or plinker?

Marksman pellets, serious or plinker?

I haven't used Marksman No2 pellets in .22 for a very long time but from memory they were pretty good and accurate. Not as good as Superdomes obviously but these were my number one favoured pellet of the time

Marksman pellets seem to be popular still judging from volumes sold on that auction and wonder what do most people use them for nowadays, hunting or plinking?

I only ever used them for plinking and practice as cheaper option compared to a tin of SuperDs in the orange tin as they were at that time!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    I haven't used Marksman No2 pellets in .22 for a very long time but from memory they were pretty good and accurate. Not as good as Superdomes obviously but these were my number one favoured pellet of the time

Marksman pellets seem to be popular still judging from volumes sold on that auction and wonder what do most people use them for nowadays, hunting or plinking?

I only ever used them for plinking and practice as cheaper option compared to a tin of SuperDs in the orange tin as they were at that time!!
    I thought they were awful way back then... I can only think they're purchased out of nostalgia, because they're cheap, or because they need a door keeping open.

yes, they are cheap but are about the only .22 pellets available now that the old wasps have gone. I use them in quite a few old springers and they are good compared to many of the modern sizes pellets.

Used in modern Pretty Crap Performing rifles, they are not so good.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, plinking pellets really, but as they actually fit 5.6mm bores, they will be more accurate and give a nicer firing cycle than a high quality poorly fitting 5.5

They go well in my webley service, for example, and at 10-15 yards freestanding with open sights, accuracy is way better than I am.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I thought they were awful way back then... I can only think they're purchased out of nostalgia, because they're cheap, or because they need a door keeping open.
    I totally respect what you say but don't everyone take comfort from nostalgia especially when we're the wrong side of middle age
    The two rifles that I get most pleasure from using is without doubt my HW80 and Rapid 7 mk1 FAC, there is nostalgia in itself

Like Webley Wombler I remember them being pretty good and still seem so also still made in Birmingham too. I've never tried them in a pcp but shall invest in a tin for my springers!!

Incidentally the worst pellets I've used for me personally were SMK spitfire domed Not nice in any rifle
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Marksman were great in their day, We always tried to get bulldog if we could , Brings back some good memories though.

Unfortunately I never found these any good or enjoyable to use even for plinking.

Eley wasp and Milbro Calidonians (spelt wrong I know) were always much better.

Saying that though I once bought a box of crosman premier and didn't find they lived up to all the hype the comics we giving them when they first came out, in fact I still have them somewhere.

The Marksman always looked decent for the money and if I had a gun/barrel which liked them it would have been great to support a British pellet manufacturer.

Johnj
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

I tried using marksman for hunting once 30yrs ago. Found i had better results throwing the tin at the bunnies i also found they turn to buckshot in a 22ftlb hw80 but that was 30yrs ago

The .25's worked well in my 85, matched the ftt's for accuracy, but poor quality control, but the price is right. Back in the day they were all i could afford, so didn't know any difference, we would get them from the hardware store on the way back from school

Where would Lanes "Cat Slugs" fit on this list. .....Top? middle? bottom?.or that far under bottom they'd never been seen again?

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC