Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatsthe best HFT scope....?

Whatsthe best HFT scope....?

Hi... Im new here and wanted to ask what the best HFT scope is.... is a lower mount, smaller objective better for HFT?

So, what do you use?

There is no simple answer as fundamentally the final choice depends on your eyes (and wallet).

The scope will need to have a good depth of field so avoid objective lenses of over 44mm and magnification of more than 10x
    The reticule will need to be easy to read - the commonest and most popular is a mildot or better still half mildot which will allow you to hold over or under more accurately / easily.

Scope height is again personal taste - low to medium mounts are usually the best way to start then experiment as you get more practised.

Get a scope that is parallaxed at airgun ranges ~30yds or better still has adjustable parallax

I am currently using the Viper Pro 10x44 which works for me, normally we would advise trying out a number of scopes before buying but that is not so easy at the moment so start with a mid range scope - very cheap optics struggle in very bright / high contrast conditions and low light conditions but it may be worth looking at SH kit on this site or have a look at your local gun shop or somewhere like Optics Warehouse. Many of the Hawke scopes are a good start point.....
    OAKS - SIHFT Winners 2011, [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"] 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2015, 2023

echo's of a recent thread?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-sight-for-hft

probably more if you use the searh option

Rich.
    Rich. https://i.imgur.com/6sXOoGi.jpg my MPR's & mk1 TX200
    repeat Burris owner (now have 8)

thank you.

Ive tried a few but cant seem to get a decent DOF. Mine is blurry at less than 15, a total undiscernable mess at 8-10 and blurred 35+. Ive heard the connect, touch and other similar type scopes are popular. I guess its just an experiment and perosnal to you....

Hi, I think that I have owned or tried most scopes suitable for HFT, and there is no easy answer and its what suits your eyes as well.
    Regarding the 15 yards being blurry... every scope will be blurry if set on an optimum of 23-25 yards px, its just a matter of how blurry and more importantly ....how much PX error you get.

I prefer medium height mounts so I would start there and see how you get on. The difference will be measured by where the majority of your range marks fall on your ret.
    On medium mounts and my 30 yard zero I can take almost all kills between 15 yards and 32 yards dead on, (unless a mini kill at certain ranges ie 15,20-22, and 32 where it will just be higher or lower fractionally than your crosshairs).

Everyone will tell you different ways but I try and make it so that where the scope is clear I can take it on crosshairs, anything slightly blurry I stop and think a bit more. You have enough to think about with the wind and keeping steady.

I now prefer shooting around 8-9 mag and front end around 32-36mm, 40mm at a push if the glass is good.

Depending on budget I would be looking at the small front burris(3x9x32,4x14x32), or Leupold VX11 EFR 3x9x33 with either crosshairs or modified Mildot). The Leupold M4 MRT TMR ret(3x9x36 my personal favourite HFT scope)
    or on a budget look at the little hawke airmax with small front end, but try not to touch any adjustments once zeroed as a few Hawkes can move zero with a magnification px change(but not all of them).
    Connects are good if you can get on with them (I cant), but they are a marmite scope.

Having said all of that a lot of people myself included have shot pretty well with 10x40 scopes such as the Sightron and MTC.

Also read Brian Samsons "from novice to Ninja" if you are new to HFT. It was the best thing that I read about 10 years ago and has helped me a lot, as has Brian himself with most of us, but he might not realise it.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 11-07-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    BASC

Here's a link to Brian's "Novice to Ninja" stuff. A must read for all HFT'ers IMO.

https://www.kingsleyhft.com/resources
    Paint chipping for Air Arms & Ireland HFT Teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherham Owl View Post
    Here's a link to Brian's "Novice to Ninja" stuff. A must read for all HFT'ers IMO.

https://www.kingsleyhft.com/resources
    Hope that you're ok Steve, I am itching to get back to HFT now our house build is nearly done. I needed a break but I want to get back now.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Hope that you're ok Steve, I am itching to get back to HFT now our house build is nearly done. I needed a break but I want to get back now.
    All's good here thanks Dean.

Me & Glenn were only talking about you a couple of weeks ago & saying it would be good to see you now you have just about finished the grand designs mansion.

You'll probably find the best HFT scope is the one I'm selling
    "I'm an enormously talented man, and there's no use pretending that I'm not.."

If the OP is south of Bristol and thinking about shooting in the SWEFTA league things are a little different and scope choice might well be different too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    If the OP is south of Bristol and thinking about shooting in the SWEFTA league things are a little different and scope choice might well be different too.
    What are the differences?

Re setting up. If it is a front or side focus scope, you want to have set the focus so that 45 yards is just blurred and 40 is
    Just in focus. Then you have a range where the scope is in focus before going blurry for closer stuff.

The 45 yarder being just blurred is useful as you can pretty much tell if its between 40 and 45. Close stuff is easier to read but you will know that if its sharp its within 40 to 15 yards for example.

To deal with ultra blurry, I squint and make my viewing eye shut down... a bit like anniris on a camers increases depth of field with a lens. It isnt perfect and takes practice.

The real trick with close is to use the string to get the target to rock. Usually the KZ and the paddle show up with the movement so giving you a better idea of the kill position and size too.

Brian is a great thinker and worth looking at his stuff.

The critical thing is... no matter what happens on the day... good bad or ugly, have a craic and walk away happy. Seen too many peeps.loose the wheels because they are trying too hard and frustration rules their game.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar15 View Post
    Hi... Im new here and wanted to ask what the best HFT scope is.... is a lower mount, smaller objective better for HFT?

So, what do you use?
    The best scope height is the one that lets your eye come naturally into position behind the scope. If you shoulder the gun with your eyes closed then open them and you have a clear view through the scope then you have the correct scope height. A lower height flattens the curve for the closer targets at the expense of the longer, higher flattens it for the longer ones at the expense of the closer. But on conventional air-rifles the difference isn't really worth bothering about. Have a play with a bullpup if you want to see the high extreme.

The new Optisan CP range with a 32mm objective has been designed with HFT in mind and seems to be winning friends.

hft scope

use march 1 -10 x 24,with mml reticle very unfussy, use 21 yards setting at x8 which gives me best between 8- 45 yrds ,very clear 17-27 yrds which i use to range find, and a bit fussy at 15 and 35 use to range , its very expensive,but after using many scopes got fed up swopping found this to be a great scope super glass which is what you are paying for,if you get the chance to check one out do so you will see what i mean happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherham Owl View Post
    What are the differences?
    SWEFTA HFT is out to 55yds and basically like UKAHFT extreme rules in that you can PX your scope before bringing it up to your eye. Down here a lot of the guys use their FT rigs dialled down (max x12mag). SWEFTA shoots have HFT and FT on the same day so it's just a way of shooting 80 targets in a day with one after the other on two courses (usually). I did say extreme didn't I!
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500