Thread: PH .451 3 band rifle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    THE definitive 'how-to' for this rifle, and indeed ANY Enfield, real or continuation version, can be found on the research Press site, where David Minshall, UK many-times Champion muzzleloading shooter with this and other similar rifles, has produced 'Shooting the Enfield'.

I also urge you, if you you care not already a member, to join the MLAGB.

Your rifle is among the VERY early examples of this fine model, and it would be well worth while to cherish it a bit - there are no more - the Pedersoli version is a poor thing by comparison, as are any of the Euroarms examples made after serial number 14000 or so.

It would also be worthwhile to replace the PH Beryllium nipple with a Peter Dyson platinum-lined version. A couple of hundred shots with the recommended 80 - 90gr of FFg Swiss will see you the owner of a self-cocking' percussion rifle, as the hole wears through and sends a deal of the propellant gas back out that way. I shot mine for almost thirty years with the same Dyson nipple.

This is a quote from a many-times NMLRA-winner - If you cast the 457121 from pure lead they usually drop about .455" from the mold ( I have two). Fill the grooves with lube then push them nose first into a .454" die then again .452" etc. The grooves wont deform and close up when full of lube and when made from pure lead. I have done this many times because I really like that bullet's performance accuracy wise. It's always easier to start with a proper diameter mold. I have the Lyman 451114 Volunteer mold but have had better results with the 457121 in both original PH rifles and Euro Arms Whitworth and Volunteer versions.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 06-07-2020 at 02:48 PM.