Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 50 info

Original 50 info

Just been given a really old 50 that's in a box of bits with a cracked pistol grip, though I'm assured everything is there. I had an early ball bearing trigger years ago but this looks much older. I'm struggling to see any date stamp in the usual places, but it has a lot of chequing on the grip and foregrip and an adjustable foresight, of which I've never seen. What year were these made from? I'm not sure where to start with it but like to get it firing again. I'm struggling to upload pics unless it's a sales thread.
    I'm thinking of sorting the crack first and take it from there. The scope rail is in two section, was this a target model to take a diopter?

Sounds like you may have a Original Model 50B.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Model-50/page2

Other Diana/Original Model 50's

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....iana-model-50/
    Last edited by Sunbeam; 07-07-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks for the links sunbeam. Mine looks like a 1950s version in nothing like the condition of the ones in the pictures. I will try work out how to post pictures on this thread to let you guys have a proper look

Hopefully you can identify it from pictures of other model 50 varriants. The crack may repair well but it depends on a few factors lilke where it went, why it went & if it closes up well plus a few other things too. I am sure you can get plenty of advice from others on here. Stocks for the 50b types seem to come up for sale infrequently so repairing this one & getting it done right may well be pretty important. Not common for other model 50 types either.
    If its a model b there should be a large metal rear sight that can be moved from the tap area to the rear of the cylinder & it should have a detatchable eyepiece with eye cup. If you are really lucky you might even have the adjusting tool too. If not making one out of a bit of brass & 10 min with a small file might be the way to go. To adjust the sight for windage a spring clip needs depressing as the adjuster is turned, so a propper adjuster is helpfull. Lots get mangled with pliers & they deserve better than that.
    Last edited by trajectory; 07-07-2020 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Thanks for the links sunbeam. Mine looks like a 1950s version in nothing like the condition of the ones in the pictures. I will try work out how to post pictures on this thread to let you guys have a proper look
    If you cant figure out how to post photos (there is a post about on here somewhere ) Email them to me and I will bang them on. It would make a pleasant change from rummaging around in your dustbins.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    If you cant figure out how to post photos (there is a post about on here somewhere ) Email them to me and I will bang them on. It would make a pleasant change from rummaging around in your dustbins.

HTH
    Ian
    Ha ha it would make a change Ian. I will take you up on your offer and send some pics to you thanks

Your wish is my command.

Its basically one of these:

ATB
    Ian (Bin Looking).
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks Ian, shame mine doesnt look like that, it's a thing of beauty. What year do you think it was made?

The lower rifle is a 50M

The Model 50B with chequered stock came out in the early sixties peddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    The Model 50B with chequered stock came out in the early sixties peddy.
    Thanks sunbeam. Hoping to tackle the split this weekend then take it from there with the rest

After many hours of rubbing and fettling and a lot of swearing it's now back up and running. Surprised how well it shoots the trigger is very impressive. The reassembly was difficult as it came in a box of bits, the only things that were missing was a trigger pin, which I made using the shank of a drill and the barrel shroud. The gun is not for the faint hearted and many thanks to the strip guide on here which made it possible. The stock is now solid. Just burning off the excess neat foot oil but it looks promising.
    If any one can help with the shroud I would be most grateful, I've put a hens teeth request in the wanted section!

Original 50 info

Well done getting the old girl shooting again & kudos for builing up a model 50 without taking it apart first! is the shroud the tapered cover from the cyinder to barrel? do you know if one fron other mod 50's would fit? if so should make finding one easier, maybe try german spares companies if no luck on here.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Well done getting the old girl shooting again & kudos for builing up a model 50 without taking it apart first! is the shroud the tapered cover from the cyinder to barrel? do you know if one fron other mod 50's would fit? if so should make finding one easier, maybe try german spares companies if no luck on here.
    I'm not sure whether the shroud is different on other 50's but I'd be grateful for any offers as I'd like it complete. Just had a play in the garden, and I'm impressed with the accuracy now that the smoking has stopped, 15 shots in 2p group at 13 yards. I fitted a ptfe piston sleeve and a better though used spring. The trigger is as good as my TO1 Trigger if not better no twang. Over 10 shots with Superdomes it averaged 450fps with an extreme spread of only 2fps!!! I think with a new spring it would be doing just over 500. If it wasnt such a drama to strip I'd do it. Though I'd wait until my cuts have healed from fitting them dam strong fiddly springs. I've stripped hundreds of guns but has been the most difficult. Give me a tx any day!!

Original 50 info

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I'm not sure whether the shroud is different on other 50's but I'd be grateful for any offers as I'd like it complete. Just had a play in the garden, and I'm impressed with the accuracy now that the smoking has stopped, 15 shots in 2p group at 13 yards. I fitted a ptfe piston sleeve and a better though used spring. The trigger is as good as my TO1 Trigger if not better no twang. Over 10 shots with Superdomes it averaged 450fps with an extreme spread of only 2fps!!! I think with a new spring it would be doing just over 500. If it wasnt such a drama to strip I'd do it. Though I'd wait until my cuts have healed from fitting them dam strong fiddly springs. I've stripped hundreds of guns but has been the most difficult. Give me a tx any day!!
    Lol i stripped mine so many times i could do it blindfoled i recon trying to get it up to decent power, finally got it shooting well at 10.5ft/lbs but the accuracy was always good.I only sold it as that short cocking lever was a pain on my tennis elbow on a plinking session.Think i used a hw '97 or '77 spring in the end to get it to that power.